Here’s What You Had to Say About…Toddlers and iPhones

iphoneLast week, the New York Times ran an article, “Toddlers’ Favorite Toy: The iPhone,” that caused quite a stir on the parenting front: Many parents saw the beneficial aspects of letting their little ones play with their phones (especially while traveling), but others were horrified by the notion of introducing kids to technology at such a young age.

We were dying to know – what do you think of all this? – and as usual, you hit the comments to express your thoughts.

Take a look at what some of your fellow parents had to say, and then take our poll to show us where you stand!

“I think it’s ok for a child to play with an iPhone or an iTouch on occasion. Limiting use just like we would limit access to television is up to the parents. A variety of stimuli are good for us and especially helpful on long trips!” – Liza

“I really don’t know what this world is coming to—all I know is my grandson would rather play with the box that a toy comes in instead of the toy. We as parents and grandparents need a [reality] check on what is important, and buying expensive gadgets for children is just setting them up to be young adults who [need] to have everything up to date.” – Jean Griffith

“My 4-year-old spends a lot of time waiting at her siblings’ ball practices. I am amazed at how she can entertain herself with nothing at all. The only time she ever asks to play with my phone is when she is tired out and doesn’t feel like entertaining herself.  I see nothing wrong with that. Our kids need to have balance and, yes, that does include the tech world these days.” – Shellie Marquize

“I have an autistic child whose uses a computer, cell phone, a remote control and other electronics very well. He knows all the programs, the menu, the buttons, and so on. Now he wants an iPad.  I think the iPad will be very useful and educational, especially for children with a learning disability. The screen is pretty big and the pictures are very easy to see. The content is vast covering colors, numbers, shapes, and animals–all familiar objects that they just love!” – Iraida

“Recently, while waiting for stitches in the [hospital] emergency room, we were relieved to have our iPhone. We were able to download some free and inexpensive games to take our 4-year-old’s attention off his terrible boo-boo and the extremely long wait. I can say it saved a lot of headache in an environment not meant for preschoolers.” – Lisl

“While an iPhone can be entertaining during long waits, it would be better for young children to take a more active role in entertaining themselves. Books, crayons, or small toys that encourage creativity and imagination would be a better choice. We’re giving our 13-year-old son a “plain cell phone” for Christmas…he’s one of the few kids in his grade who doesn’t own his own phone. We take two 18 hour car trips each year with our 4 kids, no DVD or handheld electronics.  Just books and music on CDs and whatever else the kids want to bring.  We have a great time! I think giving our children too much technology too early will backfire in terms of their creativity, physical activity, materialism, and attention span (rates of ADHD are much higher in young children exposed to 3 hours of screen time per day).” –Pam

Tags: | Categories: GoodyBlog, News, Your Child, Your Life

1. by Heather

On October 28, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I feel that our toddlers should be given creative, educational opportunities for passing the time/play. This could be either with tech toys, or old fashions ones. One must realize that technology is a way of the times and is in some ways much more efficient, and space friendly when on the go. We, as parents, just need to be selective of the age appropriate apps they are to use. They should be educational and allow for self expression such as reading, math, and science, etc. We must also reserve the time allowed for these uses and still encourage outdoor play and physical acitivity. As with most things, moderation is the key!

2. by Chris

On October 28, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I don’t have an iphone myself however, my brother-in law does. It really amazes me that my 4 year old niece knows exactly how to use it and will often ask for it. Don’t think it is necessary and I think my 2 year old can live without it, although it is nice to have when the cousins are getting rowdy. They can sit quietly and watch a short movie or play a game on the phone for a few minutes to calm down.

3. by Amber

On October 29, 2010 at 9:36 pm

My 3 year old daughter loves to play games on the i-phone. DH put so many kid friendly games on it from tracing the alphabet (lower case is very helpful) to squashing little ants and flies before they get to the picnic lunch.

4. by Mika

On October 31, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I think it’s all about moderation. We have to recognize our kids are going to be exposed to more technology and it can be beneficial. At the same time, kids should still be given the opportunity to play with books, colors, and the classic cardboard box. I find that my kids are just as content to play with the cardboard box as the iphone, but the iphone is quite handy when we’re eating out!

5. by Heather

On March 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I will be honest my 30mo LOVES her Ipod.. yes I said hers! She has sign language flash cards, coloring games that talk to her about the colors and color by number. She is able to watch interactive toddler programming on the go. Her vocabulary has grown exponentially from her exposure to the Ipod. She is only given the Ipod after we have exhausted the coloring books, dolls, and books. I am blessed that we are able to provide this special “toy” for her..

6. by 1516868

On April 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm

What a lovely day for a 1516868! SCK was here

7. by biżuteria

On April 18, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too great. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a tremendous site.

8. by eXp Realty Explained

On April 23, 2011 at 3:01 am

Great job, Your post is an excellent example of why I keep coming back to read your excellent quality commentary….

9. by nfl free picks

On April 28, 2011 at 3:26 am

Extraordinary this post is totaly unrelated to what I used to be looking google for, but it surely was once indexed on the first page. I assume your doing one thing proper if Google likes you enough to place you at the first web page of a non similar search.

10. by B to B Marketing Lists

On April 29, 2011 at 1:00 am

Thanks, are you looking for real estate in Winter Park, FL? Learn where the deals are, get REO lists and find homes for sale in Winter Park.

11. by Price Drops

On May 1, 2011 at 5:36 am

Really enjoyed this blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Much obliged.

12. by Flowers

On May 3, 2011 at 10:43 pm

thanx for such a fantastic blog. Where else could anyone get that kind of info written in such a perfect way? I have a presentation that I am presently working on, and I have been on the watch out for such info.

13. by Luc

On May 4, 2011 at 8:06 pm

no i only let them use my Droid

14. by Roland Torres

On May 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

You have quite a good point of view and I that can compare with it. You deserve to have a positive feedback with this.

15. by Richard Barr

On May 18, 2011 at 10:19 am

Thanks a ton for putting this up, it had been quite handy and demonstrated a great deal.

16. by Audra Leon

On May 18, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Cheers with this article, it was great to read.

17. by holiday

On May 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Today only! Stella McCartney, here I come

18. by Lauran Ihrke

On May 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I’ve been meaning to write about something similar to this on one of my blogs which provided an idea. Thanks.

19. by antibakteriell skydd

On June 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm

You actually make it appear really easy along with your presentation but I find this topic to be really one thing which I feel I would by no means understand. It seems too complicated and very vast for me. I’m taking a look forward to your subsequent post, I’ll attempt to get the hang of it!

20. by Marcelino Demendonca

On July 1, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Great write-up, I am regular visitor of one’s website, maintain up the excellent operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

21. by Genoveva Matusek

On July 12, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I dugg some of you post as I thought they were very useful handy.

22. by backpacks for travelling

On July 16, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Somebody essentially help to make severely posts I would state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and to this point? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual put up incredible. Magnificent activity!

23. by pandora jewelry

On July 24, 2011 at 1:04 pm

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

24. by karen

On September 14, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!?This website is mostly a walk-by way of for all of the data you needed about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also you’ll definitely discover it.

25. by canada goose parkas

On September 15, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Every day I’m additional impressed from your artical. Thanks for the efforts on expressing the following theme. This is a fantastic feature. Cool. Love the choice to possess stats designed for private blogging, too! I really like everything relating to this artical.

26. by Juicy Couture Purses

On September 20, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Great document! I’m all for this. The article is certainly helpful for me. Reading your article tends to make me happy. At the same time, I might learn extra knowledge. Thanks completely.

27. by Eddie Robberson

On November 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I would like to thnkx for the efforts you’ve put in writing this site. I am hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the upcoming also. Actually your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own web site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a great example of it.

28. by Timmy Abreau

On September 19, 2012 at 1:01 am

From my opinion, bit of understanding of those who, not more low; well-informed people who have necessary skills, a clear modesty. ??