Sleep Positioners and SIDS: New Warning

ss_1208_cribsIf you have an infant sleep positioner, now is the time to stop using it. Today, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning against sleep positioners. These sleep aids pose a big danger to babies: Over the past 13 years, 12 babies between ages 1 and 4 months were suffocated by a sleep positioner. And these are only the reported instances.

Although most sleep positioners claim to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) by keeping a baby on his back, the FDA has never cleared any sleep positioner for this use. Some sleep positioners may also claim to help with digestion or ease colic or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)–or prevent flat head syndrome. However, in today’s statement, the FDA said that any benefit from a sleep positioner is insignificant compared to the risk of suffocation. There are two main types of sleep positioners: those with flat mats and side bolsters and those with inclined mats and side bolsters.

Remember: Never place anything in the crib with your baby. In addition to sleep positioners, this means no pillows, comforters, or quilts. These items increase the risk of SIDS. To further reduce the risk of SIDS, place your baby to sleep on his back–not his side or his tummy.

Tags: | Categories: Babies, GoodyBlog, Health & Safety, News, Your Child

1. by Shout-Out Saturday | GoodyBlog

On October 2, 2010 at 3:04 am

[...] week, the FDA and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a warning against sleep positioners. The sleep aids pose a big danger to babies: Over the past 13 years, 12 [...]

2. by jessica

On June 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm

what about blankets? i read in some parenting magazine that you can keep your house at 65 degrees and not use a blanket?? so you are supposed to freeze your baby? and give them the shivers? make them sick? how sad. i live in MN, the weather here is 30 below almost every day. my friend believed the no blanket rule and she said her son got sick and shivered every night but she refused to put a blanket on him even though he was freezing!! he got really sick from it and ended up with pneumonia! putting extra clothes on your baby can cause them to get way too hot and dehydrated from sweating plus if it is cold in the room, they can get sick from sweating because they will be cold from being wet. plus if babies are too cold, they don’t wake up to eat because they are trying to conserve all their energy to stay warm… so because they are cold and aren’t waking up they could die from sids that way too. but the worst worst thing is when they said you can keep the house at 65 and your baby will be fine. i don’t know about you, but i freeze at 65!!!! and need a blanket. why would you freeze your baby at that temperature?? how sad. your magazine needs to fix that. if you recommend no blanket, then please recommend 75 degrees for your house in the winter so your baby doesn’t get cold.

3. by Sue

On June 2, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I used a sleep positioner for our daughter until she was just about 4 months old and I never had a problem. Then again I have also used a comforter and bumpers in her crib since she was 4 months old too and all these suggest not using them either. Well, I don’t know about you but, if I never used these things my daughter probably would have ended up smothering herself, bumping her head continuously when she slept and ended up being very cold. Our daughter was rolling over onto her tummy by the time we were leaving the hospital (at 3 days old) so, even they suggested a flat sleep positioner to prevent her from rolling over onto her belly and burying her face into the mattress.

4. by reverse heart disease

On August 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I don’t think I’ve never learned anything like this before. So nice to see someone with some unique ideas on this subject. I really thank you for beginning it. This website is one thing that is needed on the net, somebody with a little originality.

5. by Jerrold Pedeare

On September 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I want meeting utile info, this post has got me even more info! .

6. by hair glazing

On September 7, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I am glad to be a visitor of this double dyed site, thanks for this rare info!

7. by Gregg Kilbride

On September 12, 2011 at 11:54 am

My sincere regret for not saying thanks to you earlier.

8. by www.freeseorank.info: about BettingPlay.net

On November 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d like to shoot you an email. I’ve got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

9. by Fixed Rated Private Student Loan

On November 17, 2011 at 10:58 am

Aw, this was a very nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and precise effort to make a very good article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and under no circumstances appear to get something done.

10. by seo google

On December 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm

really good put up, i surely love this web web site, keep on it

11. by Chinese tablets usa shipping

On December 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Looking for the best performance android tablet shipped from the USA?

12. by Merna Morabito

On December 19, 2011 at 9:39 am

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just cool and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

13. by boot ugg

On January 7, 2012 at 11:56 am

That is the suitable blog for anybody who wants to find out about this topic. You understand a lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would want…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, just great!

14. by westell 7500

On January 17, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I think other web-site owners should take this website as an model – very clean and magnificent style and design, as well as the content. You are an expert in this topic!

15. by Cheap Small Freezers

On February 25, 2013 at 5:06 am

Hey there, You have done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.