Can You Guess Your Baby’s Sex?

Finding out whether you’re going to have a boy or a girl is exciting, but if you’ve been using the popular Chinese calendar charts to predict your baby’s sex, you might as well have tossed a coin, according to a recent study from the University of Michigan. The method, which involves using the mom’s age and month of conception to predict the baby’s sex, was shown to be accurate about 50 percent of the time.

Of course, this isn’t the only way parents to-be attempt to guess their baby’s sex. Methods  vary from urine tests to taking their baby’s heartbeat (supposedly, over 140 beats per minute means you’re having a girl, and under 140 is a sign you’re carrying a boy). Did you do anything to guess your baby’s sex? Were you accurate?

image via

Tags: | Categories: GoodyBlog

1. by Amanda Bosque

On May 26, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I had a dream that I was having twin boys, however it was just 1 – but it was a boy :)

2. by Tabitha

On May 26, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I did the needle and thread above your wrist. Both pregnancies it was correct!! First my girl, 6 years later a boy!

3. by Lindsey

On May 26, 2010 at 6:04 pm

my baby had a heart rate of 145-150 most at every check-up. my husband thought it was going to be a girl, and sure enough, it was!
    btw, Chinese calendar said boy…. wrong, as you stated above.

4. by Amanda

On May 26, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I knew I was having a boy. Everyone told me he was a girl based on how I carried. I was right, they were wrong :)

5. by Chele

On May 27, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Chinese Birth Chart was right for me both times. I’ve only found a few people for whom it was incorrect. In my experience, the percentage correct is more like 80%-90%.

6. by Selena Fowler

On May 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I swore up and down I was having a boy with my second, but lo and behold, I have a second little girl. With both my pregnancies though, I hated sleeping on my left side, always preferred my right…I later read that sleeping on the right is a sign you’re having a girl. So who knows!

7. by Redwood City Nanny

On September 18, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I appreciate your concern but I have been learned that attachments to political parties and their organs of dis-information are no substitute for religion. I use the LAT like any cult deprogamer does to keep up on the latest trends. Plus I have left strict instructions to my two brothers if they ever see me in a Free Mumia or Run Hilary Run t-shirt to shoot me in the head and run a stake thru my heart. Silver bullets of course.

8. by Dulcie Heidrich

On November 15, 2011 at 3:57 pm

We stumbled over here from a different website and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to going over your web page again.

9. by Denisse Spilker

On January 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Greetings I am so happy I found your site, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a fantastic post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don抰 have time to browse it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the great work.

10. by Angela Barlow

On December 17, 2012 at 10:32 am

I’ve done a couple of different gender predictions
    Tests, I’ve come up with both lol boy and girl!! I’m not sure yet if we’re finding out before the babies born. It’s exciting waiting after all the hard work:) its nice for one surprise in life so special.

11. by Jackie

On December 31, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I have had 2 pregnancies and am in my third now. With my first one, I wanted a girl so badly, but I didn’t try any of the prediction tools (string with ring, chinese chart, etc..). Sure enough she was a beautiful girl. My second I wanted a boy because I thought it would be my last one, but she was a little more stubborn and wouldn’t show the docs what she was. Judging by the way I carried (low),how I was gaining weight in my butt and legs, the heart rate stayed below 140 or around there, and how the pregnancy was so different from my first, we all thought she would come out a boy. But she was also a girl. So I no longer go by the heart rate or how I am carrying. There is no certain thing to determine what the gender is besides an ultrasound and even those aren’t always right. If a chart or string or heart rate get it right, it is simply a lucky guess, considering you have a 50-50 chance either way, it only makes sense. :) I am hoping for a boy this time and have tried the chinese chart for the first time just out of curiosity. I have done several and some say boy, some say girl. So who really knows??? We shall see in a couple of weeks!

12. by Leila

On January 7, 2013 at 9:11 am

The heart rate has always seemed to work! I didn’t want to believe it, but it was correct with my kids. I began using it (for fun) to predict the gender of nieces, nephews, and friend’s babies. So far it has ALWAYS been right. It could be just random chance. I will use it to guess the gender of my next one. (Who knows – sometimes even ultra-sounds fail. Several friends of mine were told “girl” and low and behold it was a boy.) This time around I don’t care what I’m having. I just want him/her to be healthy!I am more than happy either way. (But trying to guess the gender sure is fun, isn’t it?)

13. by littleduckies

On January 17, 2013 at 1:12 am

I knew it was a boy at very early on, and I told my husband so. Later, an ultrasound confirmed it. :)

14. by Adi

On February 16, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Both my husband and I had an “intuition” that it would be a girl from the very first pregnancy test, the Chinese gender predictor calendar said it would be a girl, and the baby’s heartbeat was always over 140. Sure enough, the ultrasound confirmed she’s a girl! My doctor said that, from her experience, a mother’s intuition was usually the most accurate predictor of the baby’s sex.

15. by Moramora

On March 10, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I went with the heart beat and the Chinese calendar and they were both correct, a girl . Heartbeat was 160 and Chinese prediction calendar said at my age it would be a girl. Although In My dreams I would see blue and then pink that was the only thing that got confused before it was confirmed.

16. by katherine

On March 13, 2013 at 4:10 am

We all wanted a boy but it just didn settle right calling the baby a he. I did the urine test & Chinese predictors & heart rates they all said boy. Baby wouldn’t show their goodies during ultrasounds until one day they stuck their butt right on the probe and she is all girl.

17. by Juliana

On March 27, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Even way before getting pregnant I was sure it would be a boy. My husband and I dreamt of him several times, actually that was what triggered us to a second kid. In my first pregnancy I was 100% sure it was a girl, and there she was! But now, I’ve had 2 ultrasounds and the umbilical cord is hiding the baby’s sex. I did a lot of gender prediction tests and they varied!! Sometimes boy, sometimes girl! Well, let’s wait and see!

18. by jemmimah

On April 18, 2013 at 5:47 am

well am so sure that am carrying alittle girl inside cuz i like sleeping on ma right beside they say she always stays and kicks on the right lol

19. by Belkysr

On April 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Hello, in my expirence chinnes calender have been right 2 times and I am on my 3 pregnancy and I am 100% sure is right again it said I am having a boy,by the ring and by the heart rate is said a girl, but I am pretty sure chinnes calender is right because on my previous pregnancy the ring on the belly or hand was wrong and with this 3 I did all 3 hear rate, chinnes calender and the ring belly,none of them have work for me except chinnes calender I wanna a girl seens I have 2 boys all ready but seen chinnes calender said is the 3 boy I just want a healthy baby I don’t care that we going to have a 3 boy. I will know on Abril 30 they doing my ultrasound. But I know is a boy I don’t need the ultrasound to tell me because 100% chinnes calender said so a boy again so I believed that.

20. by Lianne

On April 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I had no idea.. my best friend told me I looked like I was carrying a basketball for both my pregnancies so I was having boys.. she was right!