Oh, Crap!

1_12871_LG_PALet’s kick off the week with a post about kids and constipation, shall we? It’s a remarkably common problem, as you may very well already know. In our April issue, out now, we have a story called “When Your Child Just Can’t Go,” by one of our contributing editors, Darshak Sanghavi, M.D. Dr. Sanghavi is not only a pediatrician, but a father of two young boys, and he writes about his younger son’s particularly tricky and painful bout with chronic constipation. One of the most interesting things I learned from the story is that a fiber-rich diet doesn’t do much to help a child who has an ongoing problem. Fiber-filled foods are still key to a healthy diet, of course, and can benefit a child with temporary constipation. But if your child has a real issue and is constipated for several weeks, he or she will need your pediatrician to step in, or to see a pediatric gastroenterologist. The doctor will likely recommend you try at least one medical treatment, such as taking a mild laxative like Miralax. Has your child had this problem? What’s helped? (For my 4-year-old, Miralax worked wonders.)

[Photo via]

1. by Rachel

On March 8, 2010 at 10:09 am

For my 1 year old daughter Miralax helped a little but not nearly enough. What worked for us was a mixture of Miralx, Karo Syrup, and Glycerin Suppositories, as recommended by our doctor. Also lots and lots of fluids. And she still manages to get backed up from time to time. Hopefully she outgrows this soon. Of all the health problems I have had with my kids, nothing compares to this. It is so horrible seeing her in so much pain everyday when it is time for a bowel movement.

2. by Ashley

On March 8, 2010 at 10:10 am

Miralax worked and continues to work for my two kids. I have also heard that flax seed works wonders.

3. by Kara Corridan

On March 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Rachel, I agree–it’s really tough to watch your child struggle with this. Ashley, we’ve heard about the benefits of flaxseed as well. Ultimately my pediatrician thought Miralax was the best option. (For anyone considering treatment, we always suggest you check with your doctor before trying even “natural” remedies.)

4. by Debbie

On March 8, 2010 at 2:42 pm

My son’s doctor told us to use Miralax, but I also read on the internet that we had to train him to go on a particular time every day. So I started having him sit on the potty at 8PM every night. At first, it took 30 minutes+ for him to go, but after a month it is getting faster. Now he can just sit on the potty and go, and we are off Miralax, Fiber One breakfast, and he can even eat bananas and apples and still go at 8PM every night :) PS: When I started him sitting on the potty, he did not just sit. I asked him to push while singing songs, etc. It was a lot of hard work, but I am glad now that he does not have any constipation problem anymore.

5. by Lisa`

On March 8, 2010 at 5:49 pm

My son had serious issues w/ bowel movements. He had tearing and bleeding etc. Finally when we got a new doctor they had us try Miralax. We used it for 4 years with him. It was wonderful and we were finally able to wean off it last year.

6. by Alexandra

On March 9, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I had issued myself my whole life, and fiber does not do a thing. But a bowl of grapes does. And kids love grapes.

7. by Heather

On March 10, 2010 at 10:42 pm

My 23 month old son has been struggling with constipation issues for about a year. He’ll complain that he has to “ca-ca” for hours, holding his tummy, but he won’t have a BM. When he finally is able to poop, he cries in pain, and the stool is hard as rock; there have been several occasions where we have literally had to pull the poop out of him. His pediatrician recommended Sorbitol and our son is now on 2 tablespoons of each night. As long as he takes his Sorbitol the night before, he doesn’t strain to poop and we’re even thinking of potty training soon!

8. by Nicolas Mallette

On November 17, 2011 at 3:02 am

Performing sensation Adele is actually to group up with 1 of the biggest hip hop superstars on the planet with regards to what could become a musical marriage Made in heaven, according to a tabloid publication. The Sun cited that the 21-year-old music star has met up with Jay-Z, who has only been in the british isles to help his spouse Beyonce in the Glastonbury Festival.

9. by ghd wellington

On January 8, 2012 at 6:59 pm

A fun discussion will be worth provide feedback. It is my opinion that you should publish more on this particular question, it might possibly not be considered a taboo topic but usually people are insufficient to talk on such subjects. To the next. Cheers