Let’s Lose “That’s retarded”

header2_03I have an uncle with Down syndrome, and a cousin with an awful disease called Rett Syndrome—she’s 28 and has never walked or talked. Knowing how challenging my uncle’s life has been at times, and how downright brutal my cousin’s has been—not to mention what their parents have been through—I have never had any tolerance for what’s now being called “the R-word.” It was depressing enough last year when President Obama likened his bowling skills to the Special Olympics, and more recently when White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel admitted that he called liberal activists “f—ing retarded.” But what I always find particularly tough is when the word is casually used by people in my own circle. It’s so jarring when someone I like—someone who’s unquestionably smart and decent—tells me a story and throws in some variation of “It was so retarded.” Depending on my mood and how comfortable I am around the person, I’ll either ask them not to use that word that way, or I’ll simply stay quiet.

But with this Wednesday designated by the Special Olympics and Best Buddies as the day to “Spread the Word to End the Word,” I’m rethinking my often-too-lenient policy. I took the pledge to support the end of the derogatory use of the word. I bought the T-shirt emblazoned with the slogan, and will wear it proudly. And the next time someone says something’s retarded as a way of explaining how stupid it is, I’m speaking up. And I really hope you will, too.

1. by Catherine

On March 1, 2010 at 10:15 am

President Obama’s comment saddened me too, especially since I have so much respect for him otherwise. I hope the fallout from that comment, plus efforts like Spread the Word, show the power of words to hurt and to help.

2. by Erin

On March 1, 2010 at 10:20 am

I was shocked to hear that President Obama made such a comment. I agree with the post above – most importantly that we speak up when others use the word to descibe something stupid or sub-par. I think it is crucial to speak up when your children are with you. You set an excellent example and they learn that you mean what you say!

3. by Elaine

On March 1, 2010 at 10:30 am

Thanks for bringing attention to this important issue. It’s upsetting that this word is still used so flippantly by so many people, especially those in the public eye. I sincerely hope the “Spread the Word” campaign will help increase public awareness. And I, too, intend to speak up the next time I hear someone use this offensive term to make a point.

4. by Christy

On March 1, 2010 at 10:33 am

I am the product of having been raised in an environment where certain words had no meaning at all, only effect. My grandfather frequently used the “N” word, but I always knew that it did not carry the meaning for him that it carried for me, and being family, I knew that despite his use of the word, he did not have the associated malicious intent that is behind the word. That said, this is a new generation and intent is no longer relevant, as the misuse of certain words within the home will certainly lead to the misuse of words outside of the home and will inevitably result in either anger, hurt or both. As parents, we have an obligation to teach our children that bullying and hate words are completely unacceptable in any situation. Period.

5. by Gail

On March 1, 2010 at 10:34 am

The thoughtless use of the R word in recent years is partly why I’m uncomfortable even with the non-derogatory use of the word, i.e. the state “Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities.” I understand why so many now want to ban the word altogether.

Can I also put the insult “Did you ride the short bus to school?” on your list? Every time I hear that phrase come out of someone’s mouth, I shake my head at the insensitivity to children with delays and disabilities.

6. by TimsMom

On March 1, 2010 at 10:44 am

I totally agree that people should stop using this word. People also need to stop saying “That’s so gay.” And making fun of how deaf people sound when they talk, and on and on. There are so many misused words and hurtful things done without “meaning to.” It’s time people STARTED thinking about what comes out of their mouths, and if they mean something is “stupid” then use the word “stupid”, not “retarded” which does not mean stupid. We have lots of words in the English language to convey what we mean. Let’s use the proper word for the proper meaning and not lazily revert to a derogatory term that hurts other people.

7. by Betsy

On March 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I completely identify with how you’ve felt in the past about saying something (or not) to a friend who uses the word in a derogatory way. It’s mean, hurtful and unnecessary, and it’s really unbelievable how commonplace it is in movies, tv and life in general. I hadn’t known about this campaign, but I think it will definitely help bring about a change by making people more aware. It’s great that you’re furthering the efforts.

8. by sara

On March 1, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Thank you!!! I don’t know why people think it’s okay to use this word so casually!!

9. by Lori Toomey

On March 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for a great post My sister has Downs Syndrome and I get very upset when people I know (and don’t know) use that word so casually. I’m off to buy a t-shirt.

10. by Kristen

On March 2, 2010 at 10:16 am

Thankfully the “r” word has not made it to the lexicon of my daughter’s preschool classroom yet. My hope is that with this campaign, my fear of that happening will be a moot point by the time she gets to grade school!

11. by Anita

On March 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm

When I was in elementary school, there was a handicapped girl named Anita. I remember having a crush on a particular boy until one day he said to me, “You have the same name as a retard.” And as you can imagine, that comment spread like wildfire. Before I knew it, people were saying that I must be retarded, too. Needless to say, it stung. So I can only imagine how it makes someone feel who actually has special needs. I think it’s great that you are going to stop people in their tracks. Nothing is more effective than speaking up!

12. by I Dare You Not To Cry | GoodyBlog

On September 13, 2010 at 9:24 am

[...] blog–touched me very deeply.  One of my uncles has Down syndrome, as I’ve mentioned before, and I’ve spent my whole life watching my grandparents raise their fourth son. [...]

13. [...] wrote about my feelings on how it feels when people say “retard” or “retarded” [...]

14. by dragonfable

On May 27, 2011 at 4:28 pm

excellent web page, quite excellent colors and i forgot to request you regarding the plugins you employ

15. by Dalene Bacchi

On June 24, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Terrific news. I just came across your website and wanted to let you know that I have actually loved reading your posts. I have became a subscriber to your feed and I expect that you will post again soon. I am wondering if I have to subscribe to comments feed as well. Any helpful discussions taking place in posts comments?

16. by discount Thomas Sabo Jewellery on sale

On September 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Your artical is really simple but retains a touch of elegance along with grace. And using the options and even customization you may have enabled, I’m sure it is going to appeal to a lot of bloggers. It’s incredibly commendable that you are interested in let all of us, the people, to have a very good wide range of themes for the blogs. Keep them coming!

17. by fat and healthy

On September 19, 2011 at 12:03 am

i had a 2002 honda S2000 and i got side swiped on the highway by a Dodge ram. i caused me to skid off the road and flip 6 times in the grass. after months of theropy im back and feeling pertty good

18. by Refugio Vanostberg

On December 26, 2011 at 6:28 am

Some really choice blog posts on this website , saved to my bookmarks .

19. by jordan t shirts

On January 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO? I¡¯m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I¡¯m not seeing very good success. If you know of any please share. Many thanks!

20. by jordan retro 4

On January 13, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Ie. I¡¯m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I figured I¡¯d post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Cheers

21. by jordans.com

On January 15, 2012 at 3:55 pm

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like ¡®Mixview¡¯ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you¡¯re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of ¡°neighbors¡± will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune ¡°Social¡± is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.