Tooth Truth

LilaMets2My 17-month-old, Lila, had her first dentist appointment on Saturday. Gotta say, it went surprisingly well. She cried a little when the dentist gently checked out her mouth, but it wasn’t too hard to calm her down, and then she got distracted by Miss Spider playing on the TV on the ceiling.

I had one nagging concern going in: It looks like one of Lila’s front teeth is ever-so-slightly longer than the other. I was hoping the dentist would tell me this was all my imagination, but she confirmed the uneven choppers. It’s not that one is longer than the other, however—it’s that the shorter one was probably pushed up a little into her gums, most likely a result of “trauma.” Yikes. The dentist quickly reassured me that the kind of fall that could push a tooth back into the gums is actually extremely common, and that most times, the tooth makes its way back down to its rightful spot. (Of course I tried to think back on all of the spills Lila’s taken over these past few months as she’s learned to walk and run, and I can’t pinpoint which one might have been the culprit.) Anyway, we’ll keep an eye on it, and I need to watch for any signs of nerve damage, like if she seems to be really sensitive to ice pops or ice cream this summer.

Have any of your children experienced this? I’m curious to know how it turned out.

Tags: | Categories: GoodyBlog

1. by Gayle

On February 8, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I knocked both of my front teeth back into my gums when I was a baby, on a toy. They both grew back out without any complications and my adult teeth came in normal. The only permanent marking is a slight bruise that shows up on the front teeth, if you are really looking for it.

2. by Michele

On February 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm

My daughter did something similar. She had a fall & both of her front teeth are now ever so slightly dark (luckily you don’t see it unless you are looking for it). And according to the dentist it could go either way but to also watch for signs of nerve damage (some type of blisters on the gums). Hopefully it will be fine & not affect her adult teeth!

3. by Sally

On February 9, 2010 at 11:46 am

My daughter has the same thing–one front tooth is slightly longer and her front teeth overlap fairly severely. Our dentist said it was from a trauma. Thinking back, I believe it was when she fell between the table and bench of a picnic table and banged her mouth on the table as she fell at age 3. She’s now 4 1/2 and the dentist is keeping an eye for any damage to her permanent tooth bud through X-rays at each of her 6 month cleaning visits.

4. by Little Children, Big Worries | GoodyBlog

On February 22, 2010 at 2:45 pm

[...] did even a month ago, when I was putting the finishing touches on the edit. In the past week or so, my 17-month-old has developed an incredibly specific fear: tiny specks. It started with a microscopic black spot in [...]

5. by Catherine

On March 1, 2010 at 10:20 am

This happened to a friend of mine. Her son’s front tooth was pushed ALL the way up into his gum and she thought it had been knocked out. Then it magically reappeared!

6. [...] younger daughter, Lila, is 2 1/2, and it’s time for us to start potty training. We trained her older sister, Julia, [...]

7. by advertising

On June 28, 2011 at 6:58 am

Hello there, just became alert to your blog via Google, and discovered that it is really informative. I?m going to watch out for brussels. I?ll be grateful if you continue this in future. Several people will likely be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

8. by Poznan

On July 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I’d should test with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I take pleasure in studying a put up that can make people think. Additionally, thanks for allowing me to comment!

9. by Terrie Boroff

On July 11, 2011 at 7:45 am

Spot on with this write-up, I actually assume this web site needs far more consideration. I’ll in all probability be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

10. by Turcja last minute

On July 27, 2011 at 5:44 am

That is the best blog for anybody who desires to search out out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I truly would need…HaHa). You positively put a new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, just great!

11. by Joey Baade

On September 2, 2011 at 12:57 am

Bottles with your website sometimes does not work.

12. by Darren Klitzner

On December 10, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Hi! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!