Little Children, Big Worries

3415666185_b46a941904_tIn our March issue we have a really interesting story on children and anxiety (“Worried Sick,” page 50). We offer very helpful advice for the roughly 15 percent of kids who suffer from anxiety that’s major enough to impact their daily routine. We also address the more common fears that just about every child between the age of 2 and 7 experiences—stuff like being scared of the dark, afraid of dogs, bugs, and so on.

This story has more personal significance to me now than it did even a month ago, when I was putting the finishing touches on the edit. In the past week or so, my 17-month-old has developed an incredibly specific fear: tiny specks. It started with a microscopic black spot in our bathtub, where the white enamel has worn away. It’s been there Lila’s whole little life, but she just noticed it, and she points to it and works herself up until she cries. I think she thinks it’s an ant. I admit we seem to have a few of them scurrying around our house at the moment. (We’re not infested or anything, I feel compelled to explain.) Anyway, I’ve tried downplaying the speck, covering it with a bath toy, and turning her around in the tub so she’s facing away from it. All strategies have proved beyond ineffective. My husband had the inspired idea to use White-Out on the spot, and that worked… until Lila found an even more infinitesimal dot in the tub, and fixated on that. I had to laugh, as bad as I feel for her. But the fear has made its way outside the bathroom, and now my child worriedly points to any small thing that shouldn’t be there: lint, a piece of dust, a teeny scrap of paper. The only things that don’t scare her are crumbs. She just eats those.

Does your child have slightly unusual fears? How are you handling them? And if they’ve gone away, how long did they last?

[Photo via]

1. by The Keys to a Good Doctor’s Visit | GoodyBlog

On January 31, 2011 at 3:23 pm

[...] to wait until the very end of the visit to bring up the things I’m concerned about (like the time my then 17-month-old seemed to be particularly preoccupied with specks on the ground). But the doctors we interviewed said that’s not the way to go. Kick off your visit with your [...]

2. by Computer Tips

On June 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Do you have a Facebook profile? It is easy to communicate with you using Facebook. :D

3. by buy pandora jewelry

On July 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Fantastic website. A lot of useful information here. I am sending it to several friends ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks for your sweat!

4. by chanel chain handbags

On August 2, 2011 at 3:03 am

To have a Chanel brand bags is almost all women’s fashion dream. Bird could not be any classic Chanel flap bags of spring and summer of 2009, gold chain, which has experienced trials and hardships package and be still able to appear in the Chanel counter. This can be called the real eternal fashionchanel online store

5. by Gil Prem

On August 26, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Throughout this great scheme of things you’ll secure a B- just for effort and hard work. Where exactly you actually misplaced me personally was first on the particulars. You know, as the maxim goes, the devil is in the details… And it could not be much more true right here. Having said that, let me tell you just what did work. Your authoring is highly convincing and this is possibly why I am taking an effort in order to comment. I do not really make it a regular habit of doing that. 2nd, although I can see a leaps in logic you make, I am not necessarily confident of how you seem to unite the points that make your conclusion. For right now I shall subscribe to your issue but wish in the foreseeable future you connect your dots better.

6. by www.seoglee.com: about bettingplay.net

On November 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing many months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?