Good Deed Friday: Pajamas All Around!

191420960_9c7577a545_b My favorite part of the day is when I put on my comfy pajama pants and t-shirt to curl up with a good book before going to bed. I feel like this has been part of my nightly ritual since I was little, so when I heard about Pajama Program, an organization that gives pajamas and books to kids in need, I was equally heartbroken, to hear that there were kids with no pajamas and books, and thrilled that someone was bringing these comfort items to deserving children.

Genevieve Piturro was volunteering at a Harlem Children’s Center when she discovered that the kids around her were pajama-less. She began Pajama Program in 2001 to bring pjs and books to children living in orphanages, group homes and shelters in New York. Since then, Pajama Program has grown to 70 chapters in 39 states and 27 countries. They've given away over 400,000 pairs of pajamas and 184,000 books in eight years!

Winter is known as danger season for kids without warm clothes so Pajama Program is looking for donations of pajamas, books or money to help out. Visit Pajama Program to donate, find a chapter in your area or get more information.

Photo via.

Tags: | Categories: Doing Good

1. by Kendra

On October 30, 2009 at 3:00 pm

What a great program. I love to see great, useful things given to children around the globe. I love that the kids are given more than food that is gone in a few minutes. This organization is providing literacy and a life time of love for books and reading!!

2. by Kristine Wright

On November 2, 2009 at 6:55 pm

This is an awesome program. We actually did a pajama drive on Halloween and did ‘Pumpkins for Pajamas’ here in Phoenix. We helped to raise about 75 pjs for our local chapter. It is a great organization and I was excited to see your post about it. Our chapter president says there is a need for over 3200 pjs a month just in the west valley of Phx. Very heart breaking. It is nice to be able to help out children in my area.

3. by Mrs.Maria Lozano

On January 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Pajama Love
    Your generous donation can make a child’s day a little brighter and their night a little warmer.
    We Can’t Do It Without Your Help!
    Imagine being a child, and every night the bedtime routine is just to bed and fall asleep. We have children from all over the world that do not have pajamas or a comforting nighttime book. They are homeless, in shelters and too many have been abandoned, most deprived of any love at all and they are living in temporary housing after crisis .
    We are currently collecting at the Winter Hill Community School
    New Pajamas of all sizes – 3months to adults XL
    New Books, Tooth Brushes, Tooth Paste and Gift Card
    Contact us today if you have a donation
    Mrs. Maria Lozano (617)230-2076) or
    You can also send your donation to
    Attn: Mrs. Lozano
    Winter Hill Community School
    115 Sycamore St. Somerville , Ma 02145

4. by David Ryer

On July 16, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Actually I like your blog details! Undoubtedly an prime supply of data that is extraordinarily helpful. Cheers.

5. by Marcel Sprauve

On November 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Just want to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is simply cool and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

6. by Tawna Granai

On December 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most persons will approve with your site.

7. by ugg boots günstig

On January 6, 2012 at 7:26 am

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to search out any individual with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this website is one thing that’s wanted on the internet, somebody with somewhat originality. helpful job for bringing something new to the web!

8. by timberland laarzen dames 2011

On January 9, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Aw, this was an incredibly good publish. In thought I would like to put in writing something like this furthermore – taking time and true work to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and practically never seem to get something accomplished.