My Aching Back

BabyCarrierMy daughter was a real shrimp when she was born. Six pounds 12 ounces and dropped down to 5 pounds something before slowly gaining it back. She never got those great baby thighs that you want to bite into. She was always a skinny mini. The great thing was she was easy to transport. I had a Bijorn and it suited us just fine. But when I had my son Grant in November, he was 8 pounds at birth and got bigger fast. The Bijorn would make my shoulders ache just after a trip to the doctor's and back (about 20 minutes each way). Anyway. I now use an ergo and love it. It doesn't put the strain on your shoulders like the Bijorn; the weight rests on your hips. (It's even better as a backpack when the kid gets to be about six months.) But this weekend I tried out a new carrier called the FreeHand Baby
Carrier
. It's one of those wrap-around types that have big long straps that wrap all around and cross in the back. So even though I've had it for four weeks I never got around to using it because it was just too intimidating. Then my neighbor, Amie, who is a connoisseur of baby carriers (she got me onto the ergo), showed me how to do it. It was surprisingly comfy. Even more comfy than the ergo. It somehow distributes the weight so it's more in the center of your back. And it's very light, essentially a piece of cloth. Grant was happy in it and seemed to like chewing on the cloth. Here's a picture of us in it. The only trouble is I have to go over to Amie's every time I want to wear it (there's no way my husband will be able to figure it out!).

Tags: | Categories: Babies, Shopping & Gear

1. by Stephanie

On March 16, 2009 at 9:10 pm

That is such a great photo! Thanks for sharing your baby carrier reviews. I’ve always wanted to try the ergo.

2. by Sarah D.

On March 16, 2009 at 9:34 pm

I loved using a Moby wrap with my little ones. Luckily after I lost the wrapping directions I was able to look them up online. I really liked how they are washable compared to Baby Bjorn as my son had BAD reflux and was constantly spitting up. The Moby wrap looks intimidating because it is a very long stretch of fabric that you have to wrap around your body.

3. by baby carrriers backpacks

On March 17, 2009 at 12:55 pm

We love our freehand too. Best carrier on the market

4. by Ashley

On March 20, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Ah! A handy dandy mei tai! I have a babyhawk and LOVE IT. I’m 5’1 and 105lbs and could easily care my 2 year old son on my back until I became pregnant with baby#2. By far, the best investment I made as far as baby gear!

5. by Marion Mcnell

On July 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

of course like your website however you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth however I’ll definitely come back again.

6. by pandora jewelry

On July 24, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I think this is one of the most important info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

7. by Domenic Peckman

On November 15, 2011 at 5:22 am

Miley Cyrus covered Stevie Nicks’ memorable “Landslide” during a performance in Queensland, Australia on Sunday.

8. by Kristen Marioni

On November 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Beyonce, who headlined Glastonbury on Sunday evening, was talked about on social networking online sites considerably more when compared with any other musician at the festival this particular year, according to Brandwatch

9. by planchas ghd en el corte ingles

On January 7, 2012 at 12:50 pm

excellent posting, i definitely love this page, continue on it.