Munchkin Math

ProductTime
A recent debacle involving a missed soccer game has me pondering the fundamental importance of time telling. It can be a frustrating thing to teach and learn (and pesky to remember, well into adulthood). But it’s an immensely helpful concept for kids, especially with the nice weather approaching and directives like, “Five more minutes until we leave the park,” being put into place.
If you’re looking for a few inventive teaching techniques (for kids as young as 2) there’s a great DVD series out called Munchkin Math. The host and creator, Wendy Miller, helps an animated cuckoo bird tell time and encourages everyone watching to join in. She uses chants and rhymes, (Hickory, Dickory, Dock. There are two hands on the clock!) and even includes learning movements, like having viewers use their arms as pretend clock hands.

1. by Lynne

On March 23, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Wow, this looks like a great took to help teach my children time! Way to go!

2. by Beth

On March 23, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Wow, you have perfect timing for posting about this. My son, who is autistic, has two new obsessions: counting coins and learning to tell time. It looks like Munchkin Math has two DVDs on these subjects, both available on Amazon. Thanks!

3. by Jenn Caulford

On March 23, 2009 at 7:17 pm

This is a great set of DVD’s. We purchased all three of them for our son, he will be 6 this fall and he still loves them! His kindergarden teacher has even borrowed them to show the class. A must have for all parents! The songs are catchy and you will even find yourself singing them!!!

4. by Sam

On March 23, 2009 at 11:12 pm

We have the Munchkin Math Shapes DVD and love it. We didn’t know there was one for telling time – thanks for the great tip!

5. by Wendy

On March 24, 2009 at 1:29 am

My sons absolutely love these videos! I believe Munchkin Math is the most educational series available for the preschool-kinder age group. Their Counting Money was my son’s favorite. I believe Oprah needs to see these!!!!

6. by Trish

On March 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm

We have all 3 DVD’s and our boys 7,4, and 2 love them. They are without a doubt the best videos we own and the boys ask to watch them because they are fun and entertaining. As a Mom I love them because they are educational! I think that every family, with kids, should have these videos! Thank you Muchkin Math!!!!

7. by Jaci

On March 24, 2009 at 6:14 pm

These DVD’s are amazing. I am a school teacher and I incorporate these into our day during that unit or during inside recess. My students love them and they really remember the chants or songs. When the students are doing their school work and come across a problem, you can see them whispering these chants at their seats to get through the problems. Definitely one of my favorite DVD series and programs. Yeah Wendy!!

8. by Tracy

On March 26, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Really? I bought the 3-DVD set that includes this DVD solely on it’s recommendation here. They arrived yesterday, and so far my 4-year-old has watched them all at least 3 times. She likes them (obviously), but I question whether these will actually help her learn. The “songs” (I use the term loosely) are annoying at best, and seem to have been thrown together at the last minute… and IMO are very poorly written. I applaud any effort to get kids learning, but I was honestly shocked when I returned here to leave my opinion and saw several over-the-top positive comments. Save your money and TIVO Sesame Street to watch with your kids instead.

9. by Anita

On March 27, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I’ve been using these dvds for over a year in my home and my children LOVE all of them. I have given them to my son’s kindergarten and 1st grade teachers as well as my daughter’s preK teachers and have never heard anything but positive comments. I think the key here is that the children LOVE them – they’re not made for us adults! I think you’ll notice that your kids will know way more about these 3 topics than Sesame Street could ever teach.

10. by Judy

On March 31, 2009 at 7:36 pm

I have all 3 Munchkin Math DVD’s and have purchased many for gifts. What a great teaching tool to share with my 11 grandchildren!

11. by Joe

On April 4, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Our kids love these dvd’s! We have Shapes and Time and the kids ask for them regularly.

12. by Lynn

On April 5, 2009 at 12:47 am

I just bought these DVDs based off of what I read here. I am so, so, so glad I did! My boys love them!