Friday Night Movies

Dora This Week's OMG Announcement:

Dora the Explorer is getting a major makeover this fall when Mattel releases a new tweenage doll. Don't worry–she's not replacing the cartoon Dora that your little kids know and love from the popular Nickelodeon TV show. The idea is to age her up a bit so that her preschool fans can grow with her. There was some early outrage that the company was "sexing" her up. But I actually got a sneak peek of the doll last month, and I wasn't put-off by her new appearance at all–and I'm very sensitive to sexy products marketed to young girls (Good riddance, Bratz!) What I am wondering about, though, is her ability to appeal to an older audience, even with the revamped look. Most kids are over the show by the time they're 5 and already branching out to what's considered cool with the 6- to 9-year-old set. I'm just not sure they'd want to stick with something that is largely associated with little children. What do you think: Will your kid be interested in the new Dora? Or will she by ready to move on?

Bab
This Week's DVD Goodies:

Barbie Presents: Thumbelina

Bob the Builder On Site: Skyscrapers

Bunnytown: Hello Bunnies

Dragon Tales: Our Amazing Pets!

Gustafer Yellowgold's Have You Never Been Yellow?

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo: Complete 2nd, 3rd & 4th Seasons

The Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 2

The Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 3

The Velveteen Rabbit

The Put-Your-Kids-to-Bed-First Pick of the Week (For-a-Good-Laugh Edition):

Twilight

1. by Pilar

On March 20, 2009 at 2:35 pm

My 7-year-old actually seemed interested again in Dora after I showed her “the-new-version”. I think the new version is very girly. I loved it!

2. by Wendy Toth

On March 20, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I’m watching Twilight tonight! I hope I can love it a little, since I do love those books. Plus I’m partial to Rob Pattison for being Cedric Diggory.

3. by Kourtney

On March 20, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Wendy,
    You’ll have to let me know what you think of the movie. I suspect you’ll like the books WAY better. I laughed out loud a couple times–the 13-year-olds behind me wanted to take my head off.

4. by Janna

On March 20, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I also laughed out loud a number of times. It’s painful.

5. by Alexandra

On March 20, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Is my daughter the only child who has a “healthy” reaction to Dora and Barney?! She thinks that Barney is scary like hell, and Dora just fails to engage her! She can watch “Mrs. Phibs and Snoothy” phonics videos from 80s, and she can count to 50 or so. And she’s only 38 months.
    Personally I like this new Dora look better, she looks more like a human. But if the style of the cartoon is not changing – there’s no way we ever watch it in this house.

6. by Reyna

On March 21, 2009 at 1:46 am

My 2 year-old daughter glanced at my screen and sang out, “Dora!”. Yes, she’ll be interested in either version for a good while, yet.

7. by Michelle Q

On March 21, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Well, my perfectly “healthy” dd, who could also count well beyond the ‘expected’ milestones for her age, read and wrote early, etc, etc, etc . . . dug her some Dora (and old school Electric Company, but she didn’t turn up her nose at much). She’ll still watch occasionally with her 2yo sister, even at just-turned-6yo. When I showed her the pictures and gave her a brief description of what she would ‘do’ (the doll, the site, etc – no TV show in the works), she got VERY excited to check it out. I’m SURE we’ll be at least be scoping it out come the fall release.
    (oh, and I think she’s perfectly age-appropriate looking, IMO)

8. by Wendy Toth

On March 23, 2009 at 2:42 pm

A final note on Twilight: I DID laugh out loud quite a few times. You guys were right. But I also really liked some scenes. Here’s to hoping the next director can do Eclipse justice.