Homemade Baby Food Rules

400365177_dsc01238
Emily is now close to eight-months old, which of course means baby food! This is very exciting, as I am a foodie looney, and I've been looking forward to making our own. Besides all the great nutritional benefits from making fresh, delicious, preservative- and added-sugar-free foods, it also saves some serious scratch. (And with the dollar's value in a downward spiral, every little bit helps.)

Normally, I do my baby food making during my weekly kitchen prep on the weekends. I'll go to the supermarket and buy large quantities of whatever fruits or veggies that are on sale. Then, I'll peel, chop, steam, and purée. If I have a large enough quantity, I'll break out the Mason jars. If not, larger glorified ice cube trays get filled with baby food, which then gets frozen and bagged.

During the week, we barely have enough time after work to do anything other than put Emily to bed, eat, clean dishes, watch Important TV Shows, and pass out. But I do like mixing up the food the baby eats. We figure the more types of food she's exposed to, the better eater she'll become.

Beaba_babycook2
This is why I love one of my favorite baby shower gifts: The Beaba Babycook. I love this thing. I'll take a little of whatever ingredients I'm using for our meal and put it in the baby food maker. It steams the food, then purées it. Then, all I need to do is put it in a charming little plate, and hand it off to Danielle, who then feeds Emily Bear. Clean-up is pretty simple right after. The amount of additional time it takes to do this is negligible.

And, what's most important, Emily gets a nice home-cooked meal…and we save a few ducats. It's a win-win situation.
  1. by Camille

On February 10, 2009 at 1:14 pm

For a few hundred more you could pick up a Vitamix, which would do many other things after the baby is grown!

2. by Stephanie

On February 10, 2009 at 4:40 pm

We love LOST around here too. This season is turning out to be pretty interesting too…especially with the surprising revelation that Charles Widmore was/is an “other.”
    I have a question about that Beaba Babycook appliance. How is it different from a blender/food processor? It definitely looks stylish and fun, but I’m wondering if I might be able to do the same thing with my blender…

3. by John J. O'Sullivan

On February 10, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Between LOST and BSG, we’re both losing our minds. Every week there’s something mindblowing going on with the characters of both shows. Wow. It makes Monday and Tuesday drag, that’s for sure.
    Anyhow, the main difference between the Babycook and a typical Cuisinart and/or blender is the fact that the Babycook actually steams the food. You pour in a measured amount of water, place the food in a little steaming tray, and the Babycook steams the food perfectly. Then, you dump the steamed food back into the unit and you puree it. There’s a little video on how the unit works on the Williams-Sonoma website.
    Sure, you can do the same thing with a food processor. (In fact, that’s what I do for large amounts of food.) But, for a small batch of food with some ingredients taken from our own supper, I find it’s quicker and easier.

4. by John J. O'Sullivan

On February 10, 2009 at 5:21 pm

5. by John J. O'Sullivan

On February 10, 2009 at 5:21 pm

6. by Lori T

On February 10, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Wow, it’d be nice to have that product to cut out some steps. I make my DD’s food, too. I posted about it here: http://www.thetowells.com/?s=%22baby+food%22

7. by Jen L.

On February 11, 2009 at 9:14 am

LOST rocks!
    I also made a lot of my son’s baby food. It’s fun to mix different flavors to find ones he really liked. His favorite ended up being nectarines and blueberries. Now that he has a few teeth, he can eat them in chunks. It’s so good for them!

8. by kar

On February 11, 2009 at 10:35 am

Note that it is not BPA free

9. by Edith

On February 12, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I don’t use any fancy machine to make my baby’s food. I take one big spoon of rice, home made chicken stock, veggies of any kinds and put them into a pot and boil it for about 15-17 minutes until soft. Then I smash it with a fork or put into a small food processor (depending on baby’s ability to chew or not) and voila, a home made meal is done. Takes 20 minutes and one pot. :) I make that every day so that the food is fresh for lunch and dinner.

10. by mommy and me

On March 24, 2009 at 3:04 am

I’ll ask for that Beaba Babycook for my baby shower so they won’t have to think what to give me. =)