Help: Cheap But Sweet Valentine’s Ideas?

Lightheart
Despite the fact that even my local Trader Joe's has been mega-blinged out with V-day decorations for weeks, I haven't really processed the idea that it's actually this weekend. Oops. My guy and I don't get each other big gifts but I would like make him something small and sweet. I'd prefer to make rather than buy—especially given the state of the economy—but what can you whip up for a guy? My craft skills tend toward the girly, so unless he'd like an embroidered flowered hankie, I'm gonna need some help.

I haven't had any luck online, because everywhere I look the projects I find are for mums and kids. (Of course, maybe that's just because my slice of the Web is chockablock full of mommy blogs.) I digress. Here's the question:

Are you doing or making something for your hubby/significant other for Valentine's Day? I'm desperate for some creative, thoughtful, and cheap ideas. Please share!

Tags: | Categories: Holidays

1. by Beth A.

On February 9, 2009 at 4:42 pm

One year (I don’t remember if it was for Valentine’s Day or a different special day)I made my honey a book of “IOU” tickets. Each ticket had something on it like “IOU 20 mnutes of playing with your hair” (a favorite of his), “IOU a foot massage for 15 minutes” (I always put lengths on them because it kept us both accountable). Some of the tickets were racier and some were just silly “IOU one time of me driving to the movies instead of you” etc.

2. by Elizabeth

On February 9, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Last year I just gave my boy a big bin of home made goodies– I got two packs of cookie dough mix and did like 6 kinds of cookies one way, 6 another way, etc. Then I got two kinds of cupcake mix and did the same thing. It was great, and didn’t cost much at all. It was a little time consuming, but I had fun doing it!

3. by rebecca

On February 9, 2009 at 6:58 pm

I have made a ‘book’ full of things that I love about him. One day a few months ago, he did something sweet and I thought “That’s what I love about him.” That got me thinking that I should tell him when something like that happens, but it’s not always a good time. So, I started writing things down (I love when you tease me because you beat me at guitar hero, I love it when you come up with creative ways to teach our 8 year-old math, I love it when you can be really romantic one minute and then go be a serious dad to a screaming 4 year-old the next, etc.) I went to Target and bought the smallest notebook I could find – about 50 pages – and started keeping track. I’m almost done!

4. by Suzanne B (Crunchy green Mom)

On February 10, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I am sneaking into my boyfriends house tomorrow afternoon while he is at work.
    I have three packs of little kid Valentine’s and some tape… I am covering his room in them. Then.. I’m covering his bed in petals and a trail of them leading up the stairs. I bought him a pair of satin pj pants (he’s never had any of these… )
    I’m going to leave a dinner for him in the fridge so he can eat a quiet dinner alone Wednesday night (he doesn’t have his son and we moved date night to Thursday and Friday this week).
    Just a way for him to remember I love him.. even when I’m not there!

5. by Andrea

On February 10, 2009 at 3:03 pm

This year I am doing a big poster size folded in half candy gram. 10 years ago when my now husband and I first met, I made one for him, and ten years later I am doing one again… this time including something about our children. He really liked it the first time I did it for him(much to my suprise), so I’m doing it again this year. Its hard to think its been ten years since I met him. Here’s a sample I wrote in this years card…
    “Its NUTRAGEOUS how far we’ve come. It started with a RING POP on my BUTTERFINGER…then along came the THREE MUSKETEERS” and so on.
    I just got a list of all the names of the candy bars and used quite a few making my own little story. I bought a red poster board, and am going to fold it into like a book so I can close the book with the candy bars inside. I tape or glue the actual candy bars onto where I used capitalization and thats pretty much it.
    Good luck on finding the perfect Valentines idea!

6. by maryanne

On February 10, 2009 at 9:43 pm

My husband loves notes, so I’m doing one week of valentine notes. You can read about it on my blog:

7. by Amanda

On February 11, 2009 at 2:28 pm

These are all great ideas–thanks for sharing guys! I think I’m going to combine some of them into one. Hmm. Also, in case anyone’s still looking, DesignSponge has a bunch of ideas (aha! non-kid V-day crafts ideas, found!) Here’s one link, but they have a bunch: