Good Deed Friday: Knit for Charity

Yarn
This good deed idea came about as a combination of factors:

1.)    It is COLD out.
2.)    Knitting is a wonderfully warm way to spend a night inside.
3.)    Finished products make great donations for tons of different charities (think warm blankets, little baby hats, holiday toys, the sky’s the limit).

Thus I found knittingforcharity.org. It’s an everything-you-need-to-know guide on knitting (including how to) and tons of organizations that need your handiwork. Site host, Nellie, even covers how busy people can knit in stolen moments. So has anyone been knitting for a charity? Let us know about it!

Photo via.

Tags: , , , | Categories: Doing Good

1. by Kim

On November 21, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Yes! I am currently knitting a doggie coat for a rescued greyhound.

2. by Kim

On November 21, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Yes! I’m knitting a doggie coat for a rescued greyhound: http://www.greyhoundsinneed.co.uk/howyoucanhelp/howyoucanhelpFrame.htm

3. by Baby Toys

On November 22, 2008 at 12:36 pm

It’s an informative source. Knitting was always my favorite job.
    Thanks for posting
    Baby Toys

4. by Amy

On November 22, 2008 at 8:33 pm

I’m a knitter, but have never knit for a charity.
    my twin boys were born last december, a little prematurely. They recieved MATCHING hand knitted blankets and hats in the nursery that were ours to take home with us.
    I could hardly believe the kindness. The blankets will always be a momento of our short time in the hospital and a reminder of how small they were.
    knitting for charity is really great. Knit on.

5. by jenny

On November 23, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Hi, great idea,but my grand mother has always knitted afgans for the elderly people in retirement homes. And now she is being turned away by them .They are telling her the can not take them because they take special care to wash and they don’t have time to do that.She has been told this by 3 retirement homes.So then she tried a homeless shelter and they told her they love them but the can’t take then either.And it is a shame because she has spent so much time making them.And she loves to do it.I will tell her about some of these idea’s others have posted,so hopefully she will start making more again.Thanks from MN !!!

6. by Melanie Odette

On December 4, 2008 at 1:10 am

Yes, I have my own charity (www.freewebs.com/carepackage) and am constantly knitting for it. Not sure I’m listed with that site yet, so I’ll definitely check it out, thank you.
    We can always use the help if anyone out there wants to knit for us!