Babies by the Month

Picture_4
When my friend Traci had her baby boy Graham last year, I loved getting the monthly photos marking his progress. She would snuggle him into the couch and prop a little sign in front of him, noting the month.

I just found this amazing idea on Ohdeedoh.com. A reader used her 4 x 3 foot calendar to mark the monthly progress of her baby’s growth. Using these over-sized sheets on the floor allows your baby to show off her new talents—rolling over at five months, sitting at eight, and potentially walking away at twelve.

We’d love to know—did you document your baby’s growth in a creative way?

Tags: , , | Categories: Babies, Crafts, Your Child

1. by cgogis

On November 12, 2008 at 2:24 pm

We took pictures (or at least tried to remember to) each month in the same chair (in his nursery) with his (ahem, my) favorite stuffed animal. It was fun to see our son grow in comparison. We plan to mark the annual birthday in the same manner – that is until he’s old enough to refuse!

2. by Reyna

On November 12, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I took a picture of my daughter next to the same doll every month until she turned a year. It was amazing to see how she grew. The first month, she was just a bit shorter than the doll, and by the time she reached a year, she was stretched way beyond her!

3. by Mandy

On November 12, 2008 at 2:36 pm

When my daughter was born, my girlfriend bought the t-shirt iron-ons that you can print from the computer. She created one for each month using a pink and white oval design and ironed them onto white onsies (different sizes, of course.) To take the picture, I sit my daughter in the same chair with the same teddy bear wearing her “month” onsie! I’ve gotten so many compliments! (I have it posted on my facebook page). :>)

4. by Michael Cohen

On November 12, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Great idea! You could make a calendar out of the photos of the calendar and have a baby calendar calendar.

5. by Jennifer

On November 12, 2008 at 2:55 pm

My daughter was born on a Saturday, and we have taken a photo every Saturday since she was born. (We have only forgotten once!) The first year, we had a stuffed lamb in the photo each week to show how she grew. Now that she is 23 months old, we only include the lamb every month or so. We post the photos on a blog for our families, since they all live several states away.

6. by Beth

On November 12, 2008 at 3:02 pm

I can’t take credit for this idea, because I got it from Martha Stewart. I bought a plain white 12-month onesie. Each month (beginning when he was 1 month old), I would put him in the 12-month sized onesie and take a picture of him lying on the same blanket (or background of your choice). When it’s all over (as I still have one more month to do), I’ll print a copy of each month’s photo and have all 12 of them framed and matted together. It’s fun to watch the onesie getting tighter and tighter each month.

7. by Crystal

On November 12, 2008 at 4:03 pm

I use my 2 year old sons ABC blocks and spell out the month for my 4 month old each month.

8. by Krista

On November 12, 2008 at 4:33 pm

My grandmother gave my son a big stuffed bunny as a present. So we took a picture of him with it every month. At first it was way bigger than he was, but by about 6 months he was bigger and then at a year he was holding the bunny instead of it holding him!
    Bonus: he loves the bunny!

9. by Rachel

On November 12, 2008 at 6:20 pm

We took a picture of our babies every day for their first year that later would end up on a DVD slideshow that we could share with grandparents. It’s so easy with digital cameras these days, and it’s a great way to see how fast they grow and remember the milestones.

10. by Gina

On November 12, 2008 at 6:39 pm

We took a picture of our kids in the same chair for their first 24 months. Now we do it every 6 months…and are planning on continuing this until they move out. (It’s also a great way to remember to celebrate their half birthday!) you know how kids love to say they are 4 and a HALF!!!

11. by Helen

On November 13, 2008 at 12:10 am

I took a picture of my son in his Pottery Barn Anywhere Chair every month on the same date. It’s so funny to look back on because those first couple months we were propping him up and the last couple (of the first year) he was trying to climb out of the chair!

12. by Jen @ Mommay's Mayhem

On November 13, 2008 at 5:29 pm

What a great idea with that and all the commenters. I didn’t do anything like that. I have made little accordion books as gifts for 1 years old though that have a pic of them each month. Always a big hit!

13. by Jen @ Mommay's Mayhem

On November 13, 2008 at 5:29 pm

14. by Jen @ Mommay's Mayhem

On November 13, 2008 at 5:29 pm

15. by kelli

On November 13, 2008 at 9:24 pm

I take a picture on their birthday day each month (the 20th, 30th and 1st). For Christmas we gave the grandparents a collage of tiny photos from each month (the one for the 2-year-old was 25 pictures to make it square, the 4-year-old had 49, the newborn had 1).

16. by Deanna

On November 13, 2008 at 10:13 pm

We took pictures of my daughter, Daisy, with a long-stemmed silk Daisy. We tried to do it weekly and I think over the year only missed 4 times. I love having these shots and watching her grow.

17. by Stephanie

On November 21, 2008 at 1:16 pm

That is a cool way to document baby’s growth! I think I saw that idea floating around the internet awhile back, but I’m glad it “resurfaced” because I’ll be looking for creative ideas when baby #2 arrives in March.

18. by religion

On March 31, 2013 at 10:31 am

We’ve been checking out several of your posts and that i have to say pretty great stuff. I will make certain to bookmark your internet site.