The Demands of Motherhood

Ph2008090200261_2
People have been raising a lot of questions lately about Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, Senator John McCain’s pick for VP.  Here’s one that—despite being politically incorrect— I feel compelled to ask:  What does she think of her role as a mother?

Believe me, as a working mom, I realize the danger in judging how another woman chooses to conduct her pregnancies and care for her kids.  But pretty much every mom I know realizes that motherhood is a demanding job that involves some serious compromises.  That’s why I have to wonder: What was Palin thinkingwhen she went back to work three days after her special-needs baby was born?  And when she decided to take on what is arguably one of the most demanding jobs in the world when she has a special-needs infant and a pregnant teen—not to mention three other kids?

I think, at very least, Palin needs to address the question of who is going to be there for her children and what sort of support she’ll have to her so her family can remain a top priority. And then this: Is maternity leave a good idea, or should women who give birth be expected to just take a couple of sick days and head back to the office?

I’m not the only one wondering about these things.  Read this.  And this.  And this and this.

Would we ask these questions of a man?  Absolutely, if he was the one who had given birth and had the capacity to breastfeed a child.  Let’s face it: Mothers and dads don’t play identical roles in their child’s life, particularly during infancy.  It seems to me that ignoring that fact diminishes the importance of motherhood in our society and deprives working mothers and their children of the support they deserve—and they need.

But maybe that’s an old-fashioned and sexist way of looking at things.  I’d love to hear what you all think.

Tags: , | Categories: News, Your Life

1. by Michelle

On September 2, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Wait…your argument says that you would ask these questions of a man if he “had given birth” and could “breastfeed.” I would think anyone who had adopted a child would take offense to that comment. Does it make you less of a parent, or less responsible to them as infants, if you didn’t squeeze the baby out of your vagina?

2. by Monique

On September 2, 2008 at 12:30 pm

if this were a democratic candidate would you be so demanding? i seriously think that if Palin was the democratic VP candidate, people would be positive, encouraging and couldn’t get the statement “what a progressive family” out of their mouths quick enough. that this is a republican woman makes it that much harder for people to accept that she’s the main worker in the family and has made the decisions she’s made. i congratulate her – she is holding no one but herself responsible for her family and her decisions.
    and regarding your questions – how many other women have traveled late during pregnancies? how many other women, committed not only to their families but also to their careers have returned to work soon after giving birth? are you attacking them, too?

3. by mary hickey

On September 2, 2008 at 12:32 pm

my apologies. i was trying to make the point that mothers bond with their infants in different ways than dads do, and I think that holds true no matter how a baby came into your life.

4. by Annie

On September 2, 2008 at 12:41 pm

I am not a fan of Palin. At.all.
    However, I do not think that being a mom to young kids, or a mom to a teenager about to become a mom herself, precludes Sarah Palin from running for office.
    In her shoes, I don’t think I would have put my political aspirations before the privacy of my teen, but that would me my choice, and she clearly has made a different choice.
    There are many, many issues relating to Palin that most definitely do affect her ability to act as VP or President of this country – working mom? Not one of them.

5. by Courtney

On September 2, 2008 at 12:43 pm

i am going to have to go with monique on this. It seems crazy to put so much pressure on someones parenting because they are pro life. that doesn’t mean at all she judges someone for actually having an abortion. She just choices life, as many people do.
    what about mothers who have a business. I am sure they are involved the whole time, even with maternity leave. Or the mothers who dont get leave, are they horrible to work to support the family.
    All of this in my opinion is none of our business and I think Obama was great about saying, leave the family out!

6. by Kris

On September 2, 2008 at 12:49 pm

How do you know that Todd Palin wasn’t taking care of the kids? And why wouldn’t that be an acceptable solution? I’m so tired of so-called “feminists” telling us we can have it all and then criticizing our choices. It’s time to stop criticizing other mothers and how they manage their families. Oh and by the way, being pro-life is not about telling other women what to do – it’s about protecting the rights of the unborn. As soon as a woman chooses to have sex, her “choice” is made. This is one of the most offensive posts I’ve seen on this blog.

7. by Lisabeth

On September 2, 2008 at 12:54 pm

My worry with her is more along the lines of can she handle the responsibility of what it means to be Vice President. Or, let’s face it, President. In deciding who to vote for, I think it’s important to look at whether or not the VP candidate is qualified for the President’s job. And with all she has going on in her personal life, accompanied with the fact that she has such little experience on the world scale, I don’t see why it would makes sense for me to vote for her…Am I holding her personal life against her? No, I’m looking out for what I believe is best for the country.

8. by audrey

On September 2, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I think Mary was also referring to the actual physical demands of giving birth and breastfeeding that many mothers go through that are obviously a nonissue for fathers simply by virtue of nature. (In regards to Palin going back to work 3 days later, flying while in pre-labor, etc.)

9. by feener

On September 2, 2008 at 1:14 pm

i am amazed at all the bashing about this woman. I guess it is to be expected. I just think, her going back to work 3 days after a special needs birth is no CRIME, she didn’t commit adultery, and she didn’t lie to anyone about it. Yet the Prez of the US cheated on his wife (adultery) with an intern and lied about it to the public. i think republicans and democrats just take what fits their argument and go with it. politics disgust me. but i think this women bashing women is getting really BAD.

10. by Stephanie

On September 2, 2008 at 1:21 pm

I thought this blog was supposed to be about supporting Parents – no matter how they came to be a parent. Obama has two young children that were left with their grandparents while he and his wife went on the campaign trail. Is that better? Is it okay because the father is running and the mother is just the supporter.
    So many working parent figure out situations that work for them – as long as the children are happy, healthy, and loved – why should we judge any of them.
    Here we FINALLY have some normal people running for office – not born into money or policital families – but regular moms and dads who work hard and now we decide maybe they can’t do it?
    I am a little surprised about the negativity of this post and frankly disappointed.

11. by Leeanthro

On September 2, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Here’s my two cents:
    You wouldn’t believe the onslaught of e-mails I got criticizing me for criticizing a woman.
    I have little faith that Palin will be a champion for women’s rights including longer paid maternity (and paternity) leave.
    She’s a women with the means to make the choices she wants, yet she would take away the choices of others.

12. by Elizabeth

On September 2, 2008 at 1:33 pm

In response to Monique: If she were the Democratic candidate, the Republicans would be having a field day with all the same issues.

13. by Leeanthro

On September 2, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Oh, and I think that we *can* be critical of her. Not to criticize her for the parenting choices she has made and not to criticize her for returning to work so quickly after the birth of a child (and we would never criticize a man in the same way), but because of her position on the important issues.
    Abstinence-only education doesn’t work (her daughter proves that), birth control is not a form of abortion, and women should have the right to choose what they do with their own bodies.
    Will she be sympathetic to the rest of us working moms/women who have to be a two-income family in this economy, to women who cannot breastfeed because they can’t leave the line to pump at their minimum-wage-just-above-poverty-level barely-covering-childcare jobs? To women who find themselves faced with the difficult situation of an unwanted pregnancy from rape or incest? What about stem cell research that shows so much promise for finding cures and treatments for many diseases?
    I would love to see a woman in the White House, just not *this* woman.
    And as VP to an old president, she would be heartbeats away.

14. by ldjulius

On September 2, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I think if she were a dem they would have her hanging from the rafters by now. The family based groups would be lashing out for puting her work before her family, not being a strong enough roll model to her kids for having sex before getting married, and keeping it from the public. It would be used to get the base out.
    Funny how things work though.

15. by Holly

On September 2, 2008 at 1:51 pm

I think Leeanthro hit it right on the head.
    Also, I’d want any President or VP, male or female, dem or republican, to put their family’s interest first before running for office. By deciding to accept the nomination, she has subjected her teen to the public’s harsh words. In my opinion, that’s increidbly selfish. She is a child going through an incredibly difficult time.

16. by E Simpson

On September 2, 2008 at 1:55 pm

I’ll echo Lisabeth’s comments on this one. Though, I wouldn’t run for this level of office with a brand new infant and four other kids, that’s not the main reason her candidacy scares me. McCain’s age and health history makes me worry that she could be President if that ticket wins and she’s no where near ready for that job.

17. by Jennifer C

On September 2, 2008 at 2:02 pm

This one is SO hard to pick a side on. My initial reaction was “Why isn’t this woman attending to her family?” – But maybe her husband is the “mother” in the family…
    Then I thought – “Whoah, wait a minute, it’s her decision how long to take maternity leave” – But then I tried to imagine someone prying me away from my three day old infant. And it made me wonder what kind of mother could do that.
    And then the teenage daughter – I mean, come ON! This whole thing reads like a SNL parody. I’m starting to think McCain doesn’t want to be president at all – and this is all a ploy to lose intentionally to Obama! :)

18. by Mrs. Dub

On September 2, 2008 at 2:06 pm

I posted similar thoughts, albeit less properly, on my own blog today. It’s not that I’m sexist, or a frumpy SAHM. It’s just that I know the precious demands of a baby – and the overwhelming schedule of a VP. I worry that now is not the right time in her life to try juggling the two.
    But what do I know – I’m busy right now trying to tell my daughter that she can’t have a second sucker.

19. by therov

On September 2, 2008 at 2:23 pm

I think we *can* be critical of some of the choices that she has made because it reflects the kinds of choices that she may ultimately make as vice president. This is not to say that we should bash her parenting choices–and leave her pregnant daughter out of it, folks–but some choices are worth examining.
    Flying 8-10 hours away from home in the midst of a high-risk pregnancy? Bad choice. Putting oneself and the fetus at that kind of risk was selfish, foolish, and unwise.
    Agreeing to run for vice president with a special needs child at home? Possibly a bad choice, at least now when the child needs lots of added time and care to get him off on a good start toward a very functional life with Down Syndrome. Probably a better choice in 4 or 8 years.
    Going back to work after three days? A decent choice–as an executive, she knew there was stuff to get done. I’m betting she didn’t pull an all-nighter the first day in, but checking the email is still work.
    On balance, I don’t support her candidacy for issues as described by Leeanthro, but it’s worth evaluating her decision-making as a factor in her candidacy.

20. by Beverly

On September 2, 2008 at 2:26 pm

I think you bring up legitimate concerns that don’t belong to a particular “party”. Being a mom myself you couldn’t have paid me enough money to leave my 3 day old infant. I don’t care how many kids you have. Would these questions be coming up if she were a man? Nope. But if we are going to break the “glass ceiling” they must be addressed. Good for you!

21. by Charles Springer

On September 2, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Being accused of being hypocrites has never seemed to bother Democrats. Why should it be a factor for a Republican?

22. by Charles Springer

On September 2, 2008 at 2:46 pm

23. by Kim from CB

On September 2, 2008 at 2:49 pm

why do we need to know her nannies schedule and how her family runs. that is not an issue. she is running to be VP not you mother. I can not believe this article is posted. how biased! You are saying that no mother with a pregnant teen or a special need kids can get involved in their community, government? do you really think it will take away. think of the health-care and benefit package that comes with the job. think of the salary increase. wouldn’t that help out her family. Isn’t she doing something great for her family by taking the better job. securing them for the rest of their lives financially. And as for the daughter….her mother was already int he spot light as governor and she chose to have sex. Why should her mother be blamed or side step her career b/c of her daughters bad choice. plus the daughter is getting married.
    as a government official you have sweet health-care as soon as she got off the plane she would be rushed to the best hospital and deliver. why are you crazed about her flying. You you rather she get her salary for not working and not doing her job?!?!?!?

24. by Holly

On September 2, 2008 at 3:13 pm

The bottom line is, we vote for people who reflect our beliefs and values. Any parent who willingly decides to expose his or her child to world-wide scrutiny is not someone I can relate to. Someone who preaches abstinence education rather than sex ed– who has a child who’s living proof that that strategy doesn’t work—doesn’t possess the logic that I want in a government official. Someone who does not believe that a rape or incest victim has the right to obtain an abortion, does not have the compassion that I look for in a public official. Mom or no mom, woman or man, Democrat or Republican—I don’t care.

25. by Shannon C

On September 2, 2008 at 3:32 pm

I’m surprised to see such support for Palin’s decisions. I think this blog topic is warranted and addresses many of my own thoughts. Political party aside, I don’t think these questions would be any different if she were a democrat. I feel as readers of the Goody Blog that we are a community of mothers that go above and beyond; trying to keep up with the latest and greatest of methods and practices to be the best moms we can be. Does anyone really believe they would be satisfied with the job they would be doing as a mother if they were to take on a job with the duties and time requirements that would be deemed necessary to be a vice president?

26. by Sarah

On September 2, 2008 at 3:32 pm

The idea that alot of people have gotten wrong in this discussion is that this post is refereing to all in women in all circumstances. It’s refering to Palin’s situation. Not all women can afford to take off weeks, or even a week, for maternity leave, there are many working moms who have special needs kids. The question put by this post is “is it right for a woman in the position of govennor and VP candidate to put her family second?” Of course, she was govenor before she was pregnant, so she couldn’t control that circumstance, but what about now? Certainly it would be a hard decision, but isn’t the needs of her baby more important right now? I am sure her husband is a great support to her, which is why she can have the job she does, but in Palin’s circumstances, her son needs both a mother and father around. Perhaps this wouldn’t be an issue if her son was older–but five months?! Sometimes motherhood demends that we put our kids before our career.

27. by Dayna

On September 2, 2008 at 3:51 pm

The question this post raises — and I agree it is a legitimate one — is what kind of respect does our vice presidential candidate have for motherhood, her own and other women’s. We know she’s pro-life, but we also deserve to know what she thinks the role of mother is in raising her kids and how the workplace should support her. As far as I know, the vice presidency doesn’t offer part-time hours or a flexible schedule — the things many working moms of infants say they want and need.

28. by kim

On September 2, 2008 at 4:04 pm

why cant she do both and well? she’s a woman and they are the best multitaskers ever.

29. by Kim from CB

On September 2, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Holly,
    I think you have your facts wrong.
    I believe in and led an abstinent life before marriage. that is what i will teach my children. Also I teach my children sex ed. Do you really think they do not go hand in hand. Do you really think that Palin does not educate her kids? Just because you would prefer your children to not fornicate, spread STD or have bastard kids does not mean you are wrong.
    they will choose for them selves. And Gov Palin’s daughter choose to have sex at 17. It was her choice. She knew her mother was gov. her mother was high profile. she choose to do it, against her parents wishes and teaching. Do you think The 17 year old really wants her mother to forgo a great advancement tin her life and career b/c of her mistakes? I wouldn’t want that. If they choose to have sex before marriage that does not mean my teaching was wrong. and it does in no way support your cause of only sex ed. I am pro life. I in no way support incest or rape victims to keep criminally conceived pregnancy. I know of no pro life person that believes what you are writing. You need to get your facts straight. Pro-arbotionites like you need to understand you are for the option for anyone to kill an innocent fetus. I am not. I believe life comes from God and at no time can man take it away. If man does it is called Murder.
    It it sad that people like you, uneducated and not afraid to voice slander are voting for my future. You are not willing to refrain in sex, but willing to cancel God’s power of procreation. you are not willing to allow other people to have high standards for them selves or children. or even to allow those that strive for better fail. shame on you.

30. by Holly

On September 2, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Kim,
    Is this not the stance of Ms. Palin and the Republican party?
    The Republican Party platform this year will reassert the party’s opposition to abortion. And again it will not allow for exceptions in the cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother, even though Senator John McCain, the presumptive presidential nominee, has long called for such exceptions.

31. by Shannon C

On September 2, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Kim from CB – YOU should not go on to such great lengths as to the lack of education that Holly has when it seems you yourself suffer from lack of education. You state you are pro-life but do not support pregnancies criminally conceived. This would be false. To be 100% pro life means that you oppose every form of abortion regardless of the circumstance. If you do in fact believe what you wrote than you would be grouped with the middle ground individuals who oppose most abortions but make exception for cases where the woman’s life is in serious risk. In this category, some likewise make an exception for severe fetal deformities. Others make exceptions when the pregnancy was not caused by consensual sexual activity or may violate social taboos, as in cases of rape and incest. Some allow for all these exceptions, but stop short of abortion-on-demand.

32. by Michelle

On September 2, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Why the name-calling, Kim from CB? Holly is certainly not “uneducated” here, and her description of the Republican Party stance on abortion is correct. Palin herself has said she is against abortion EVEN in cases of incest or rape. http://www.naral.org/elections/election-pr/pr08292008_palin.html

33. by Krista

On September 2, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Who’s going to be there for her family? A fair question I suppose. If you ask that of all the candidates. Didn’t I hear something about Biden having some injured family members? Or am I way off base? I would assume her husband will be helping to care for them. And if they can’t afford at least a partial nanny then the VP’s office doesn’t pay enough.
    This post is really negative in my opinion. Asking questions that really wouldn’t be asked if she were a Democratic nominee.
    If we’re going to be fair, then let’s actually be fair. Stick to the issues and not the personal life.

34. by Terina

On September 2, 2008 at 7:07 pm

i don’t think many of you read the links that were provided. she didn’t leave her baby after 3 days. she brought that baby with her. every where she went. she also lived in a town where she had her parents plus siblings that lived nearby. i am the oldest of 6 kids, and as the oldest i did a lot to help the younger ones. as i’m sure their oldest son did. i honestly don’t know how i feel about her as a VP candidate. but it sounds like this is turning into the mommy wars. how about we stick to the subject of “is she qualified to be VP and possibly president of our country”. her personal choices are going to show us what her values are, but it isn’t our place to judge them.

35. by E.C.

On September 2, 2008 at 7:43 pm

As an independent, I read each and every comment with such intrigue. My stance on the whole issue is, When have politicians ever been picture perfect? I don’t think it is fair to judge someone until you walked in their shoes. Think of all the times your kids got hurt because you turned your back for ONE second (“Oh yes bumps and bruises are different than a baby” — but what I am saying is not the severity of the incident but that sometimes children/teens/young adults/ADULTS make the wrong choice despite how much they have been taught it is wrong.) Does that mean you are a poor mother/father?
    And furthermore, *this comment is in response to Lisabeth* … Palin may not have overwhelming experience on a world stage… but certainly neither does Barack Obama. Would you prefer to have a PRESIDENT or a VP who isn’t capable to lead? Catch-22.

36. by Lisabeth

On September 2, 2008 at 7:59 pm

Kim from CB –seriously, a “bastard” child… poor choice of words. That term holds a very hateful connotation. In my book, no child is a “bastard.”
    And I’m not sure I know ANYONE pro-life or pro-choice who is “pro-abortion.” I’ve never met anyone who has made that difficult choice who was “all about having an abortion.” I’m a compassionate pro-lifer, but I certainly don’t condemn a person for choices they make. AND- George Bush has been in office for eight years, and abortions are still ongoing. They will never become illegal. Period. So let’s focus our energy on the prevention of unwanted pregnancies, even for those children who are growing up in families that don’t practice that pre-marital sex is wrong.
    When we as a country try to force our beliefs onto others instead of trying to create a compassionate, loving, respectful society, we do nothing but set ourselves up for rebellion and revolt.
    Now if I could just figure out how to do that, then I’d be running for President.

37. by judy

On September 2, 2008 at 8:33 pm

@Lisabeth I’d vote for you!!!

38. by Lisabeth

On September 2, 2008 at 9:01 pm

And Judy is my VP. :)

39. by Sarah R.

On September 2, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Seriously? Posting this on a Parenting “goodie” blog? I get sick of politics and media taking the liberal side and bashing Republicans. I have many friends who had to go back to work within days of having a baby and I don’t judge them. I think it’s great that Palin is taking on this role and we shouldn’t sit and judge her as a mother. It’s non of our business.

40. by Brittany

On September 2, 2008 at 9:43 pm

AMEN!!!! I don’t know how other people parent, but raising my son is a full time job. He deserves my undivided attention and care. As for Bristol, Palin’s daughter, she needs to be with her mother right now, and I speak from experience. I got pregnant when I was 20 and I was scared, and I needed that support from my mother. I don’t think I would have received the support I needed if my mom was traveling all over the country running for office.

41. by Lori

On September 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm

How this woman runs her family is her business. You don’t know everything about her life or her family. I’m not proud to say that I could have easily been in her daughter’s shoes – the difference is I used birth control or just plain got lucky. However, if I would have gotten pregnant, it wasn’t because of anything my mom (who was home every night) did or didn’t do – it was because I was “in love” and, well, nature took its course!
    This post is really judgemental and politically biased. Really disappointing.

42. by j-fer

On September 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm

meow!

43. by Shelley

On September 3, 2008 at 6:53 am

This post is pure sexism. You should be ashamed.

44. by erin

On September 3, 2008 at 8:02 am

I haven’t read many of the other comments but COME ONNNNN! If this was a democrat, wait…anyone but a republican, you would be drooling over her ambition and what an example she was of a working mom. You are criticizing her career choices & parenting when you (assumption here) know very little about Sarah Palin. It’s a shame. I’m glad to skim the posts & see others feel the same way. Aren’t you the same group that advocates for families to make varied choices for what’s best for their families – based on their OWN decisions & not this world’s? Hmmm…sounds hypocritical to me! And, yes, I am a republican & a Christian, and proud of what she represents in this world. A world that tends to run short on moral and ethical people, of the male & female variety! Next time, I say skip the politics…it’s not your strong suit.

45. by Elizabeth

On September 3, 2008 at 9:11 am

I’m sorry, Erin, but if Palin were a Democrat, the religious right would be all over her. Her daughter having a child out of wedlock–gasp! Scandalous! Oh, and someone mentioned in an earlier post–”but she’s getting married”–yeah, it’s a great idea for a 17 year old high school drop out to get married because she got pregnant. That one oughta last.
    The bottom line: Her family life is really none of our business. She and McCain won’t get my vote because I don’t agree with their views. Period.

46. by Megan

On September 3, 2008 at 10:23 am

I think this post raises an interesting point, one that I was thinking about this morning. While I respect Senator Obama and others for refusing to comment on the pregnancy of Bristol Palin because “Families should be off limits”, I don’t quite agree that Sarah Palin deserves that kind of respect.
    As a pro-life and abstinence education advocate she does not seem to have any qualms with telling other mothers and fathers how they should raise and educate their children when it comes to sensitive issues and I think that if she feels justified in legislating women’s personal decisions, her own decisions as a parent should be fair game.
    Now I’m not basing my vote of the mistakes that Sarah Palin’s daughter has made, but I think it is valid to take into consideration what kind of example she sets for women and girls in this country. If the McCain/Palin ticket is voted into the White House, Sarah Palin will have an awesome responsibility as a role model and it is more than fair to consider what kind of example she would set.

47. by adrienne

On September 3, 2008 at 11:35 am

I think we should judge Sarah Palin on her merits/defects as a politician more than her family life.
    She only holds a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. That’s not much education in a culture where more professional jobs than ever tend to have an entry requirement of a Master’s degree. I have a huge problem with someone with limited education and experience running this nation.
    I’m personally saddened every time I see strangers celebrating the marriage of Bristol and Levi as “doing the right thing.” Even within pro-life beliefs there are many alternatives that do not involve the marriage of two impulsive, immature young people. On the whole, I’ve seen too many shotgun weddings turn into unpleasant and short-lived first marriages. I wish those kids could make their own honest decisions in privacy out of the national spotlight.

48. by Dayna

On September 3, 2008 at 12:27 pm

I think a lot of you are missing the question raised in this post: Do mothers and fathers play identical roles in their children’s lives or is it fair to suggest that mothers relate to their children differently — and that our society should willingly accommodate that difference.

49. by Cathi

On September 3, 2008 at 12:46 pm

This is so maddening to me! We as women have fought long and hard to be able to work and have children, to be able to climb the corporate ladder while still raising a family. And now that one of us has the chance to be in the highest reaches of government, we’re going to turn on her? Why? Because her politics aren’t the same as yours? Because her daughter made a mistake that many a 17 year old has made? Because she happens to stand for SOMETHING? Whether or not we agree with her, we have to applaud her, and we should stop tearing her down for being a working mother. If you have some criticism for her, criticize her stance on the issues, not the fact that she chose to raise a family and be a politician. Many people were ready for a woman president, but a woman vice presidential candidate is being raked over the coals, for simply being a woman and a mother. Feminism just took about 100 steps backward.

50. by Michelle at Scribbit

On September 3, 2008 at 1:06 pm

I think a woman can’t win nowadays. If she has one child and goes on her way like Hillary then she’s only had a token child and isn’t much of a mom. If she chooses not to have children like Elizabeth Dole then she’s heartless and not a real woman, if she has a family and the husband stays with the kids she’s emasculating him, if they have a family and they both work then they’re not fit parents. There is so much to disagree with on her politics–she’s very conservative–that the picking at her family life irritates me. Don’t vote for the ticket if you don’t agree with them, but it seems a low blow to stand at the sidelines and criticize her family life and personal choices. If women want to be represented in the political process with women candidates then they need to focus on the issues and politics not the home life of the women that take the chance at representing them.
    Besides, being from Alaska and being close to the subject, having watched her for a while now and having my father know her well I’m partial to her.