Show Me the Money

419050330_27d0a2c69d_m
I’ve posted before about schools rewarding top of the class students with Happy Meals, and here’s another get-good-grades tactic I’d love you all to weigh in on: paying kids for As. This USAToday article discusses how many CEOs use financial incentives (and we’re not talking a buck or two) to motivate their kids to get high GPAs. Granted, these families have larger than average piggy banks to dig into, but what do you think? Is cash the cure for poor report cards, or do you think equating money with grades takes away from the real purpose of learning?

image via

1. by mimi

On September 11, 2008 at 1:58 pm

My parents did this with me when I was in high school, (long ago). It motivated me to do better in school because I knew I would get money for A’s but that was not my only motivation. I got the pleasure of having my parents feel proud of me, which mattered more than the money.

2. by Andrea

On September 11, 2008 at 2:13 pm

I’ve learned with kids you have to do what works. If bribing them with candy gets them to sit still during their siblings recital than so be it. If money for grades works for them than by all means that is what I will do. Sometimes they don’t realize the importance of achieving the good grades until after high school or college. If this gets them to get the grades for money than there is nothing wrong with it. Plus they will have money for things and not have to ask for it.

3. by Christie

On September 11, 2008 at 2:24 pm

We do something like it but we make it more of a challenge than a reward. My kids receive $50.00 at the end of the year if the can get all their spelling words right for the whole year. For everyone they miss they lose $5.00 up to 10.(after that the challenge is over) I realize this is a big goal, so please understand I know it needs to be structured for each child. Both of my children received the full $50.00 so it worked for them. They studied a lot more than in years past. I guess we are a competitive family and therefor they liked competing against me to take my money. :)

4. by Collette

On September 11, 2008 at 3:25 pm

My parents paid me for my good grades, but deducted for bad grades. Because of this scale, if I did really well and really bad I got nothing. They never made me pay them, the deductions only came out of whatever I had earned for good grades. I think it was a great idea and really did work for me. This was only in high school though.

5. by Natalie

On September 11, 2008 at 5:44 pm

My parents also paid me for good grades. I got $100 for a 4.0 on a report card. Their reasoning was it would be worth the money if we could get scholarships for collage, which I did, so I guess it worked.

6. by Michelle

On September 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm

I think paying kids to get good grades is a bad idea. Sure, it might work in high school, but what are they going to do in college? Parents should be teaching their kids that learning is FUN, not a paycheck.

7. by Sara Beth Roberts

On September 12, 2008 at 12:04 am

My parents had a good system–they did not really pay us for grades, but as long as we were making good grades they continued to provide our gas and a little “fun” money (used for food/movies/etc.) They did this during the school year so that we could focus on school and not have to work. During the summer we paid for things ourselves, as we all had summer jobs (there were four of us.) It was a good incentive, because if the grades dropped, the tank would not be filled, which worked by keeping us home–sort of like grounding, only it felt like we made the choice instead of them. They stuck to it too! They also had a good system where we had chores we were expected to do because we lived in the house and were a part of the family. Then, they had extra chores–things that were above and beyond like cleaning window, etc–that we could get paid for. I thought this was a good system because then you lean responsibility, but you also can make some money if you needed to for something extra, like a concert.

8. by Jaimee

On September 12, 2008 at 11:12 am

I’d rather equate money to chores and use other type of incentives for learning and grades. It’s definitely not a cure for poor report cards.

9. by kim dawson

On September 12, 2008 at 11:14 am

i was paid 5 dollars per a, 3 per b and anything below i had to pay them 6 dollars. i dont see anything wrong with it i mean as we get older we work and get paid for a good job. so theres really no difference.

10. by Chetter

On September 12, 2008 at 1:05 pm

My parents refused to pay for grades. They instilled in me that learning should be reward enough. I got incentives in other ways – mainly praise. My parents made me feel like a rockstar if I brought home A’s. Their focus was also on trying, not necessarily the end result. I once received a D in my geometry class in high school. It was the hardest D I had ever worked for and my parents saw how many hours I put in to that class just to not fail. They were as proud of me for that D as for every easy A I got.

11. by Rita

On September 12, 2008 at 7:28 pm

We got paid for papers in grade school – .25 per A, .10 per B, and .05 per C, then the scale went backwards – took away .05 for a D, took .10 for an E, and took .25 for an F. then in middle/high school it was the same scale, only in dollars, for grades on our report card every quarter. i think it worked because even though you want learning to be fun, school is like a job to kids and you learn the reward of a job well done and the lessons of not doing well.