My Favorite “Healthy Choices” Site (I Refuse to Call it a Diet)

Logo_smallUpdate: Well shoot. It looks like TDP is closed to new registrations (sorry! I’m always logged in so I didn’t see that message when you sign up.) The good news is that it looks like you can register at Livestrong.com and get all of the Daily Plate’s features.

So I meant to blog about this awesome food-tracking site months ago but… well, I fell off the wagon. But I’m back to trying to make more healthy choices (fall resolution!), and I thought I’d share. There are a lot of calorie counting/diet tracking sites out there (believe me, I’ve tried them) but The Daily Plate is my favorite.  They have—literally—everything in their food database. Sign up for free and then start logging everything you eat, including how much water you’re drinking, and your excercise. They’ll store all your info (forever) so you can see exactly how you’re doing from any computer. You can get nifty charts showing your weight (eek) and your progress towards your goals. You can save meals you eat often so you don’t have to enter in each little bite everyday. It even tracks the nutrition info for
everything you eat, so you can see if you’re getting enough protein,
too much sugar, etc. Cool.

Now if this all sounds a little OCD and like a fair amount of work, well, it is. But I think eating what I want (er, mostly) and tracking calories is a far better long-term choice for me (rather than other kinds of "diets"), and this site makes it way easier than it would otherwise be.

Moral of the story: If you’re looking to make a little fall resolution yourself (and you’re crazy like me!) check out The Daily Plate. Once you get into the swing of it, it’s really do-able—and it’s so gratifying to see that 10 minutes I spend on the site each day pay off for my health.

1. by Karen

On September 4, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Amanda – the Daily Plate is closed to new registrations….you should check the link before you post!

2. by April

On September 5, 2008 at 1:30 am

It’s too bad that TDP is closed to new registrations because I used this site last year to track what I ate and I swear it helped keep me focused…enough to lose almost 50 lbs (I say almost, because I lost 49.5!) It was nice to be able and go back and see how my weight loss had progressed and how I was able to do it.

3. by Amanda

On September 5, 2008 at 7:52 am

Oh no! I had no idea since I was already registered. Shoot, sorry guys. I’ll post an update at the top.

4. by Kathleen

On September 5, 2008 at 7:07 pm

I just checked it out. What a great site! I went to livestrong.org and was able to sign up through there. It’s free! What a deal. I live it already.

5. by Kathleen

On September 5, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Oops, I love it already!

6. by Kristin

On September 6, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Check out http://www.sparkpeople.com … It is a complete health resource with all the same features. I’ve been a member for over a year and can’t imagine my life without it!! =)

7. by Lex

On September 29, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Hey,
    I’m a little late to the party on this one, but just an update that creating account at LIVESTRONG.COM does grant you access to *all* of The Daily Plate’s features at http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/
    And, you can use your LIVESTRONG.COM account to log into the standalone site at http://www.thedailyplate.com/ as well.
    Hope this helps!