Braaaaaaaains! (or, How Did You Survive Sleep Deprivation?)

Shaunofthedeadzombiegroup
Let’s face it: Uninterrupted sleep is a luxury that most new parents don’t get. At least, that’s what I always heard. I never thought much of it while my wife was pregnant. I always assumed this truth statement and moved on with life, not comprehending what was to come.

After all, I survived college! For example, when I was the managing editor of my college’s student newspaper, there were production nights that lasted 30+ hours. Sure, I was delirious and there not a few times when I started losing it and/or hallucinating. During one famous "episode" brought on by sleepless hysteria and stress, I took a black magic marker and labeled everything in my office. Including the walls. Seriously.

But, the one thing that always followed said production night-mare was a long coma-like stretch of sweet, sweet, delicious sleep. After I woke up (occasionally at 5-6 p.m.), all was well with the world. Suffice it to say, that ain’t an option anymore. Not only is it hard for me to sleep past 8 a.m. nowadays, I do have a few more responsibilities. That, and I think my job security at America’s Leading Magazine for Parents would be in severe jeopardy.

Sleep_desk
Don’t get me wrong. I love my daughter. She is the CUTEST BABY EVAR. I love when she coos and smiles and does cute things with the little hanging toys on her bouncer. I even love calming her down when she’s being a bit cranky. But…not having a large chunk of uninterrupted sleep is killing my wife and I. By three o’clock in the afternoon…I’m done for. I long for one of those gourmet sleep sessions that’s available up the road a bit.

So, I ask you gals and guys: How did you survive these first few months, and what advice can you offer a sleep-deprived dad who feels as if he should be an extra for Night of the Living Dead?

Tags: , , , , | Categories: Babies

1. by adrienne

On August 19, 2008 at 11:44 am

Wow- what was our solution when we were totally zombified?
    We got hit by a tornado.
    In retrospect, I don’t think it helped much though it did give us plenty to think about during those sleepless nights.

2. by TaraP

On August 19, 2008 at 11:53 am

My husband and I took turns with the late nights. I went to bed around 9 and he was on call with the baby until about 1 (his normal bed time). When he went to bed, it was my turn to be on call. So, if she woke up twice (11 and 4 let’s say), we both had a turn and we both had a relatively long stretch of sleep. We made sure that the one sleeping didn’t get too disturbed when the baby was crying.
    Starting a compressed work week also helped. I have one day off a week where I can nap while she naps.
    Remember… this too shall pass.

3. by kristi

On August 19, 2008 at 11:58 am

My husband drove at time (deliveries) so he didn’t get up at night so that he could drive the next day and literally not kill anyone. When Saturday rolled around – he would let me sleep until 10 if I wanted to. Of course, he had to wake me many times to feed our son (I breastfed), but after that – he went right back to daddy duty. And he went to bed early those nights.
    Hang in there.

4. by Gina

On August 19, 2008 at 12:20 pm

My husband works full-time and I stay home with our daughter, so I’m the one getting up at night to feed her. At 7 months, she still gets up twice at night to eat, so I make sure to nap when she does. On weekends, my husband watches her in the morning so I can sleep in. If your wife is working also, I would recommend you taking turns on the weekend taking naps. One of you naps on Saturday, and the other on Sunday, so you can both get refreshed a little for the week.

5. by AnnieB

On August 19, 2008 at 12:28 pm

With my first child (who was bottle fed) my husband and I took shifts. I woke up with her up until 3am, and he got anything after that. He would often end up sleeping in the recliner while holding her. This time around (my baby is almost 1) I have breatfed (and still am) around the clock. My husband has started (as of last night) getting up with her between midnight and 4 so she will go back to sleep without nursing. I’m very sleepy! What has gotten me through the last year? Knowing that they’re only this little once. I only get to be her “everything” once. It goes by too quickly. My oldest started kindergarten yesterday. *sniff*

6. by Nicole

On August 19, 2008 at 12:41 pm

1) My son is 8 months old and I’ve finally had it. This week we did the Cry It Out method. He previously had been waking up at least 3 times a night and I foolishly fed him each time. After 3 days of listening to his cries (which broke my heart), he finally slept through the night last night for the first time since his birth!
    2) Sleep when the kids sleep. I used to worry about laundry, cleaning, etc. Not so much anymore. If the kids are sleeping, so am I. The cleaning can wait.

7. by Kim F.

On August 19, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Although it’s not recommended, we are co-sleeping with our daughter (who was born June 10th). I nurse her between 9:30-10:30 every night until she falls asleep, then she gets put in her bassinet. She will usually sleep the first 4 hours by herself (swaddled tightly) and then I change her diaper and pull her into bed next to me. After that she can nurse again until she falls back asleep while I’m still able to rest. The nurse/cuddle/sleep/nurse/cuddle/sleep pattern works until my 3 year old comes to wake us up in the morning. If she’s like my son, then the co-sleeping will slowly be fazed out as she learns to sleep through the night on her own by 4 or 5 months old. I get tons more rest this way than getting up with her to nurse and then waiting until she’s asleep to go back to bed.

8. by Jennifer

On August 19, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I swear by the book “Babywise” – all about scheduling the baby with the ultimate goal of getting them to sleep through the night. My son started sleeping 7 to 8 hours per night at 5 weeks old, and now at 18 months old, he sleeps 11 hours at night (no waking up) and a nice long 3 hour nap in the early afternoon. Some people have a problem with scheduling a baby, but if common sense and wisdom is used, it’s a great tool to keep your sanity and your sleep. Good Luck!

9. by John J. O'Sullivan

On August 19, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Re adrienne: Wow, a tornado?! That’s pretty hardcore. I don’t know if I want to go *that* far, but it’s good to know that you and fam are okay.
    All of this is great advice. I’d only like to add an addendum: While y’all were zombified, how’d you cope? Currently, I’m doing something I know isn’t good for me: Self-medication.
    Whether it’s Red Bull, iced coffees, or thermogenic supplements, it’s what I’m doing now. And yes yes, I know that they set me up for a crash.
    I wish I had an opportunity for proper napping, but it isn’t in the cards. I try to sleep on the train, and I’m starting to get good at that, but the price is a back that’s all screwed up. Commuter trains aren’t known for being ergonomically sound.
    Anyhow, please keep the advice coming, I greatly appreciate it!
    -j

10. by John J. O'Sullivan

On August 19, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Anyhow, please keep the advice coming, I greatly appreciate it!
    -j

11. by John J. O'Sullivan

On August 19, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Anyhow, please keep the advice coming, I greatly appreciate it!
    -j

12. by Kat

On August 19, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Definitely keep repeating to yourself that this is just a phase, it will not last forever. It’s so easy to get caught up in the moment and feel so tired that you feel like you’ll never get out. You will, and probably sooner than you think. As for self-medication – you need to talk to more dads, since most of us moms were breastfeeding and unable to drink coffee (p.s. don’t forget to bow down to your wife if she’s breast-feeding and sleep-AND-coffee deprived). I’m afraid there isn’t a magic trick – you just have to struggle through when you can and try and nap on weekends. Try to get family or friends to play with your baby on the weekends so you can nap. And also, when your baby IS sleeping, try to resist the urge to tiptoe and whisper – make a little noise (not a rockin’ house party, obviously), and then when she DOES start sleeping through the night, she’ll be a sound sleeper, giving you the chance to have a good night’s sleep, too. It’s not so far off – you’ll make it!

13. by E Simpson

On August 19, 2008 at 8:44 pm

I empathize. I remember that time well and don’t want to go back. Everyone’s right that it will pass, but I know at the time it feels like it will never end. My solution to most challenges is to research it to excess. I read everything in site about how to make sure my daughter was getting enough sleep and by association I was getting as much as I could. I’ll echo Babywise as a great resource during this time. It gets a bad rap, but is very helpful. I also read ‘Secrets of a Baby Whisperer’ which was a great help when it came to reading baby sleepy signals, and finally I read ‘Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child’. I can’t say enough about this last book. It became my sleep bible and I give it credit for my well rested, happy, brilliant little girl (ok my hubby and I had a bit to do with it too :) . She remains a great sleeper and is now 22 months. Good luck and hang in there!

14. by Pat Darnell and Friends

On August 19, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Sorry Old Friend:
    Your sleeping days are over. Father of six and the last one is 12 now… it only gets worse. The advice I can give you is simply “overstating the obvious.”
    Without sleep, you are angrier because you have not completed the several cycles needed to be refreshed. So you will experience the zombiosis’s effects as your body goes through the cycles anyway when you are “awake.”
    Have you ever waken a buddy in of the middle of the night, and he starts yelling, without inhibition, obscenities at you? He doesn’t mean it, and may not even know who you are… that is what the little cherub in the crib is doing to you and wifey every two hours. It has nothing to do with global warming, your relationship with your wife, or your boss. It is the baby’s way of telling you the obvious: “I’m hungry, I’m wet,,,”
    Thus, it is imperative you both keep watch as a support system, and not try to pull all nighters for outside the family causes for a while. You have to be there for each other as well as for the baby.
    Recent studies have proven the perfect amount of uninterrupted sleep for adults is 8.2 hours. Ask your family MD’s, they will know as they were deprived of sleep when they were interns. In 8.2 hours the adult goes through the necessary cycles to resurrect the body the next morning.
    Do like the Swedes and spend six months home together, so the wee one can learn all the habits you have. She already knows her mother’s habits since she was a submariner for those nine months. You may notice your baby gets busy when Mommy gets busy… no?
    Asceticism, Aerobic Exercise, .. outdoor family activity for half a year: essentials if you want long term relief.
    Why am I so sure? I long suffered from sleep deprivation. I have been diagnosed and told that if I don’t do something about it I might be very dead in the next ten years. I have no regrets for trying all the crazy double shift schemes, but I made many boo-boos along the way.
    I am still here, and want friends and acquaintanceships to be happy, happy, happy in enjoying their baby’s infancy. The only real advice for Dad is “to do less in occupation, and play house as much as possible with your precious little family.”
    Bless you all, with warmest regards,
    Pat Darnell, your fezbook friend..

15. by Cristina

On August 19, 2008 at 9:50 pm

CO-sleeping is the best thing we could have ever happened upon
    I get 3 times as much sleep as any other parent I know.
    PLUS, they are all jealous that my son gives hugs and is so well adjusted with no separation anxiety.
    well that, and wearing them out – but that will come when that gorgeous little lady gets a little older

16. by Amy

On August 19, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Cafe carmel with extra carmel. Mmm Tasty and keeps you awake!

17. by All Things In Moderation

On August 20, 2008 at 2:32 am

It’s funny to me to see all these comments. I survived sleep depravation, alone, as a single mother of two very colicky twins.
    I second what people say here – sleep when the baby sleeps, encourage the kid to follow your routine instead of always following his/hers, and make the goal getting them to sleep through the nite. I would also add:
    * Get friends/family to come by and play with the kid while you sleep.
    * Paper plates and microwaveable food are your friends.
    * Pay for what you can – grocery delivery, laundry service, once a week maid, etc. etc. – to save time on your chores and get more sleep.
    But that wasn’t your question! You asked what to do when sleep deprived (not how to get more sleep).
    Here’s my answers:
    * Know that this will pass. It’s only a phase that the kid goes through. He/she will sleep more…eventually.
    * Re-adjust your priorities. Don’t be too hard on yourself for what doesn’t get done or how less-than-perfect you are at this time.
    * Cut your spouse some slack. (See above and apply it to them.)
    * (Again) Lean on friends and family – even the ones without kids. And try to find ways to share the pain, er, love with other parents. Swap childcare, or Sunday dinner etc. etc.
    * Celebrate the little things and try to minimize anything that makes you depressed. This will give you a natural boost of energy.
    * Take a walk or (gasp) have some sex! Also gives you a boost of energy. (Just don’t forget protection, lol. Nothing more tiring than an impromptu pregnancy.)
    Wishing you and yours the best.

18. by Carrie

On August 20, 2008 at 8:12 am

Just one question…. 8 am???? I haven’t slept past 6 am since my oldest was born 4 years ago!

19. by John J. O'Sullivan

On August 20, 2008 at 9:15 am

Carrie: 8 a.m. is the *maximum*, and that takes some work. The only day I can sleep in during the week is Saturday. And, even when the baby and cats sleep peacefully…I’m up at #*%^ing 6:30. 8 a.m. is vacation sleep, attained rarely (but happily).
    -j

20. by John J. O'Sullivan

On August 20, 2008 at 9:15 am

-j

21. by John J. O'Sullivan

On August 20, 2008 at 9:15 am

-j

22. by Kathleen

On August 20, 2008 at 12:02 pm

You labeled your walls! Hah…I remember those days… but look what a great story you have. You will have the same types of stories from this phase to torture and mortify your teenager with ;)
    Seriously, we are in the same boat but with a 3 year old added in the mix. He is one of “those” MORNING children…the ones that don’t sleep past 5:30. The only thing I can say is hang in there….I know for a fact that my parents now nap on and off during the day and I take solace in that someday my day will come too :)

23. by Jennifer C

On August 20, 2008 at 3:51 pm

I swear by “BabyWise”. It worked like a dream for my first baby – took a little more work for second baby. But it finally kicked in! I am still not sure I have totally recovered from the sleepless months. But soon enough it seems like a distant memory – and then you get tricked into having another!

24. by Kristi

On August 20, 2008 at 4:30 pm

I recommend Babywise too, but take it with a grain of salt. Baby Whisperer helped me in recognizing sleep cues. A lifesaver. My four month old has been sleeping through the night for weeks and has been putting herself to sleep for almost two months. When your baby is old enough (and heavy enough) to not need to be fed at night – stop feeding her! She’ll eat more during the day to make up for the lost feeding and you will finally get the sleep you need.
    In the meantime, life sucks. And once you get sleep, everything that happened before is a big blur.

25. by Alia

On August 20, 2008 at 5:24 pm

I find the first months to be the easiest!!! It only gets harder after the baby becomes more mobile. The real sleep deprivation starts with a toddler who can’t be bounced-up to sleep, who does not nap, and is always on the go and expects the same from you.

26. by Jennifer C

On August 20, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Earplugs, Ambien and a hotel room. You get one night. Your wife gets one night.
    Honestly, if you can focus on trying to get her eat alot during the day – and get her fed well right before YOU go to bed – then hopefully she’ll start giving you some 4-6 hour stretches. YES, I know – 4-6 hours is not the previous pre-baby standard. But it will feel like it!
    I never slept a wink when the baby was in the room or in the bed with me. Every breath, grunt, fart and kick would wake me right up. The best thing I ever did was turn the monitor down. Yes, of course, I worried and checked and worried. But I also slept.

27. by Allison

On August 20, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Our son didn’t sleep though the night until he was about 10months old! My husband worked full time and I stayed home, so to give him a proper night sleep I slept on a futon in the living room with our son (we are in a 1brm condo). Once he started sleeping more regularly I got to move back into our bedroom (with our son in a crib next to our bed-still in that 1bdrm condo).
    If not an option, when I was in the zombie zone I would do 1 of 2 things: take a 30min power nap(if your job will let you) or go outside into the fresh air and take a 20min brisk walk(excercise really does give you a much better boost of energy than caffine). Good luck!

28. by Seleta

On August 24, 2008 at 12:10 am

I’m hoping it’s not too late to answer. Can you tell I have 4 kids by how late I am even reading this post?
    First let me say my husband and I do not like for our little ones to sleep in our bed, they all sleep in their own rooms. But let me tell you, those first 3 months, take advantage and let your baby snuggle and sleep with you in bed. They [and you] will sleep like rocks!!
    For sheer survival, we co-slept with our newborns for the first 3 months and had a bassinet nearby just in case. The good news is it’s impossible to establish “bad” sleeping habits [ie: cosleeping with mom and dad] for the first 4 months of the child’s life. Patterns cannot be established until they are about 4 months of age.
    Because I nursed, this first 3 months was so helpful mainly for my sanity. I became so good that I could change a wet diaper while in bed with the lights off. Then I rolled over and nursed. A nursing baby digests their milk so efficiently that they get hungry much faster than a formula fed baby. But don’t give up, it’s best for them long term with the development of their colon and setting up their system. and I nursed each baby for 12 months.
    Didn’t mean to rant on about nursing, sorry.
    If you can, try a 20-30 minute nap between the hours of 1 and 3pm. Research shows that the nap can actually improve your thinking and help you feel more rested. The trick is to not nap too long.
    Sleep deprivation slows down your metabolism and increases appetite. Try your best to go to bed early so you can lock in at least one 3 hour cycle. We always felt grateful if we could get in at least a 4 hour cycle.
    I feel for you. It will pass, hang in there!

29. by Seleta

On August 24, 2008 at 12:15 am

Get off the caffeine if you can. You will feel delirious for the first 2-3 days, but it’s worth it. Trust me! Caffeine stimulates a vicious cycle for your body and you are the one who suffers in the end. Drink plenty of water throughout the day and consider taking Evening Primrose Oil for your boost.
    Sounds crazy I know, but trust me you will feel better once you survive the withdrawal.

30. by Cathy

On August 24, 2008 at 8:11 pm

So many people are with you on this one. We’ve all been through it and IT REALLY DOES GET BETTER. These books helped me tremendously:
    1. Babywise
    2. The Baby Whisperer
    3. The No Cry Sleep Solution
    I had to find the techniques in each book that were suited for my own parenting style. I also tossed in a modified version of cry it out when my baby was still waking every 90 minutes at 14 months of age. It all FINALLY worked. Now my baby sleeps straight through from 7 pm to 5:30am. That’s pretty darned good compared to where he was just a few months ago.
    Good luck to you! It’s all worth it….you’re going to be even more in love with your baby this time next year. It really is all worth it.

31. by Julia

On August 25, 2008 at 12:23 pm

It gets better. My Mom kept telling me, “You just have to get through the first three months.”
    Curtains to keep any amount of sunlight from reaching your baby before you are ready to wake up are HIGHLY recommended.

32. by Janelle

On August 25, 2008 at 2:32 pm

I was surprised not many others said to ask family for help. The first month my mom stayed quite a few nights on and off. This was a lifesaver because I trusted her and was able to sleep, even if the baby was screaming and colicky. Take time for yourself once and awhile…you deserve the refresh and your daughter will be happy not to have a cranky dad (and mom, too).

33. by Louise

On August 25, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Hang in there. One day (sooner than you think) you may look back on these days and miss them.
    With our first it wasn’t a big deal, my husband and I were used to getting just 4-5 hours of sleep/night because of school/work, so it wasn’t that rough. With our twins it was a bit more of a challenge as they were preemies, HAD to be fed every 2.5 hours around the clock, and were slow feeders. Plus we had an 18 month old, we both worked fulltime and we had no help. The kids were bottle fed by necessity, so we took turns since we both worked. We’d both stay up until the last feeding at 11pm, we’d go to sleep, I’d get up at 1:30am, feed both twins and go to sleep, then my husband would get up at 4am and feed both twins, then we’d all get up at 6:30, feed the 18 month old, feed the twins and start our days.
    But both my husband and I would GLADLY go back to those days over what we are dealing with with twin 3.5 yo’s boys and a 5 yo boy. :)

34. by clever

On November 14, 2008 at 1:37 am

IDIOT!!! & STUPID!!!! JUST RELAX & SLEEP LA FO GOD GIVE HIS BELOVED SLEEP.. ASSHOLE!!! WHOEVER WRITE THIS ARTICLES HAS NOTHING BETTER TO DO..

35. by clever

On November 14, 2008 at 1:40 am

THAT’S ABSOLUTELY NONSENSE.. THERE WON’T BE ANY INTERUPPTED SLEEP. JUST CRUISE IN GOD’S PRESENCE FOR GOD GIVES HIS BELOVED SLEEP.. IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! WHO WRITE THIS NONSENSE!!!!
    IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!!

36. by Anonymous

On November 14, 2008 at 1:53 am

BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!! IDIOT!!! ASSHOLE!! BASTARD!!STUPID!!!!! THERE IS SURE ALOT OF TIME TO CATCH UP THE SLEEP.. ASSHOLE… YOU WAKE UP? JUST GO BACK TO SLEEP AGAIN.. LOH

37. by Anonymous

On November 14, 2008 at 2:17 am

THERE WILL DEFINITELY BE UNINTERUPTED SLEEP IF YOU DUN ALLOW IT TO BE INTERUPTED.. ASSHOLE.. WHERE GOT STRESS?? DUN BE DTUPID!!!!.. PREGNANCY IS BLISSFUL & HOW CAN THERE BE STRESS.. YOU ARE A STUPID FOOL WHO WRITE THESE!!!