Baby Surveillance

Lw2002w_prshot
Specs for the Portable Color LCD Digital Wireless Monitoring System from closed circuit TV company, Lorex, came across my desk with the heading “Taking ‘Baby Monitor’ to the Next Level.” Not one to back down from a new level, I read on.
With it, (and for a decent chunk of change) you can view from one to four secure wireless cameras on one base, meaning you can watch more than one child or part of the house at the same time. This is a growing trend with baby monitors and, it seems, a practical way to keep an eye on multiple kids at night.
The Lorex model can also be set up outdoors. So, I thought, does it come with a loudspeaker? As in, “Get OUT of the shed. I can see you!”
It does not have a loudspeaker. It does have high sound quality, no interference from other electronics, an automatic on/off function that corresponds with its ability to sense movement, a remote nightlight switch, a rechargeable battery, and nightvision. Oh, and the monitor can be hooked up to your TV.
In other words, this is serious surveillance. And it begs the question: Is this type of technology a busy parent’s dream come true, or a little too Big Brother

Tags: , , , , | Categories: Babies, Shopping & Gear

1. by Elizabeth

On August 25, 2008 at 12:27 pm

My husband wanted to install a system like this in our recently finished basement. I told him I thought it was a little too “Big Brother.” (Funny, you used the same description.) I think kids need to learn that they should behave even if mom and dad aren’t watching.

2. by Corey

On August 25, 2008 at 1:10 pm

After last night, we are in the market for a video monitor. Our 2 year old silently threw up and didn’t give us any indication. If I didn’t check on him before going to bed nightly, he would have been in it all night. Worse, what would have happened if we didn’t find out about it. It is a scary situation where a video monitor is good…
    However, I do think they have their place. I wouldn’t use one except for checking up in the night without disturbing sleep.

3. by Liz

On August 25, 2008 at 1:49 pm

We had the same situation – our 17 month old threw up and we wouldn’t have known if we didn’t have our webcam in her room. We just use a wireless internet camera by Creative that allows us to securely access it over the internet. We’ve used it from day 1 and it’s been a great tool.

4. by Amanda

On August 25, 2008 at 3:07 pm

I was just telling my husband the other day that we needed a video monitor. We had put our son (12mo.) down for the night and a little while later heard him crying over the baby monitor. This is not uncommon, sometimes he is just fussy or he has a nightmare and will drift back to sleep on his own, but I’m always wishing there was a way to check on him without going into his room (which would cause a complete meltdown). We decided to wait it out for a few minutes, but when the crying got a little more intense, I decided to go ahead and check and wouldn’t you know it, he’d gotten his leg stuck out the bars of the crib, then he turned his body leaving his leg at a weird angle and completely stuck! If I could have just glanced at a monitor, I would have gone in right away instead of waiting until he was really, really upset.

5. by Jami Lyn

On August 25, 2008 at 6:47 pm

I remember back in the day of sound only monitors. Our nosy neighbor across the street had a scanner and “suprise!” she was able to listen to all of our nightly conversations. This was learned from an honest neghbor that was a confidante. We we’re horribly upset about this at such a beautiful time in our lives. I hope that new technology will help to avoid this type of encounter.

6. by Miriam

On August 28, 2008 at 11:49 am

We have a video monitor, and have since our eldest (now almost 4) was born. It has two channels, so we are able to watch the 3 year old and 2 year old boys (who share a room) at night, and still watch the one year old baby girl asleep in her own crib in her own room. My husband and I disagree about it, though. He thinks it was find when they were babies, but we should turn it off for the boys now. I love being able to peek in on them, or if one cries out in the night, being able to see if they are back to sleep right away, laying awake, or starting to disturb the others. Just my two cents!

7. by karen

On March 13, 2009 at 12:08 am

This 3.5″ screen Sciphone cannot work in US and souther america because it’s dual band. If you need a 3.5 inch, please look for Lanya 3.5 Sciphone modle. The function is quite similar but using different software, and as you can see, this dual band 3.5 inch sicphone come with a white speaker while the others not.