Baby Nickname Explosion!

326707791_dsc_2352
Our daughter is not even a month old and she already has a laundry list of nicknames.

• Em
  • Lower-case M
  • E-Lo
  • Emily Bear
  • QTM
  • Snortle*
  • Cranky McCrankerson*
  • Miss Cranky Pants*
  • [pet name for wife] Jr.
  • EEO’S™

I’ve started calling our younger cat "Nursery Cat" because she sits near Emily when she’s in some state of crankiness. She also likes watching us feed or diaper the baby. Belle was always a weird cat.

What nicknames did you come up with during your child’s first few weeks? Care to share them with the rest of the class?

*Those three were probably conjured up around 2:30 a.m. Please refer to Figure 1 (above).

Tags: , | Categories: Babies

1. by Besu

On July 9, 2008 at 2:42 pm

My son Nicholas earned the name Critter when he was only a few days old. He made critter sounds that were neither human nor animal, thus could only be identified as from a critter. The name stuck and it’s now his online name; he also answers to it and loves a few little songs I sing featuring his nickname.

2. by Beckie

On July 9, 2008 at 3:03 pm

I read somewhere that a well loved child has many names, boy, my kids must be WELL LOVED!
    My daughter is Boo, or Little Pie, or girly girl or any number of other names that rhyme with her name.
    My son is Jack-a-boo-boos, Jackie Wacky Boo (sung like Scooby Doo), Baby Pie and the Bat boy (due to his love of hanging upside down).
    Both have many, many more that I am not thinking of right now ;)

3. by Deb - Mom of 3 Girls

On July 9, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Our oldest was called ‘bitty girl’ until her baby sister came along. Who has been called ‘peanut’ from the day she was born, since she was so much tinier (7 pounds 6 oz) compared to her big sister (a whopping 9 pounds 2 oz at birth) – and still is. :) Our youngest has always been ‘Punkin’ – not sure why, but it just fits her. :)

4. by Kathleen

On July 9, 2008 at 3:24 pm

My 3 year old Nolan was always Nolie until one day Bubba stuck like glue.
    Now our newest addition, 1 month old Greyson, has a whole list (cowboy, peanut, monkey, Grey, G-man, superbaby, etc.) but nothing has really stuck yet…

5. by Shauna

On July 9, 2008 at 3:40 pm

I was watching It’s a Wonderful Life when I felt my older daughter move for the first time. I started referring to my baby bump as Zuzu, and it’s still her nickname 7 years later.

6. by Christine

On July 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Our youngest, Brody, is also know as: Brodster, B Man, Brodarama, B Rhodes, Brodacious, Brody Man, sweet pea, mister poopy pants, mister cranky butt… you get the idea. =)

7. by Andrea Reynolds

On July 9, 2008 at 6:18 pm

My youngest son wound up being called “puddin’ butt” and as he grew up (now 8 going on 18) he prefers to be called my “puddin’ pop” or just pud’… go figure. It goes with his little sister who’s “Peanut” alot.

8. by Desta

On July 9, 2008 at 7:41 pm

During those cranky nights, our daughter was fusser face. Since then she is more often referred to as Nuggle Bear, the Nuggler, Nuggles T. Bear, and other nonsensical things we make up that will one day embarrass her endlessly.

9. by j-fer

On July 9, 2008 at 7:53 pm

In those first weeks, we called our boy baby bird….since that’s what he looked like when trying to latch on while nursing! Now he’s graduated to monkey or jumping bean…but he’ll always be my baby bird!

10. by Nutmeg

On July 9, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Ours aren’t interesting, but while I was pregnant I called him buddy and he continues to be my buddy.
    He was “the bubs” for at least a year, now that he’s 1.5 he’s rarely the bubs. He was also The Nugget or Nug because he was pretty small when he was born (6lbs). Mostly he’s Buddy or My man these days.

11. by Hilary

On July 9, 2008 at 8:25 pm

When Morgan was in utero, we called her Herkimer (my mom made that up), Rutabaga, Schmoops, and Schmoo. Now that she is almost 3, her nicknames include Morgan Schmoo, Morgala, Morgs, Morgasboard, Mo, Morgan Bear, Craig-lette (because she looks like my hubby), Pretty Lady and Baby Bird (she gave that one to herself).
    Our second daughter, Catherine Coever, has had no peace when it comes to nicknames. We call her Coever, but she also has been dubbed Coever-girl, Coever-bell, Winge-y (she was really thin as a baby), Wingus (like twinge with no T, but add an us), Winge-el-a, Lady Catherine, Fang or Dr. Teeth(she’s cutting teeth), Covey (Morgan calls her that). It’ll be a wonder if she ever figures out what her name is.

12. by Allison

On July 9, 2008 at 8:48 pm

My son Grayson was “super baby” or “G-man” when he was really little, then it was “monkeynoodle”. I am not sure where I came up with monkeynoodle but he’s stuck with it now!

13. by Stephanie

On July 9, 2008 at 9:40 pm

My son who is turning 4 months next week already has had a number of nicknames. The most used are Gloworm (we swaddle him in a green blanket and he has very big eyes- looks like the gloworm doll) and cubby (my husband just started calling him this and it stuck). I’m sure there will be many more names to come!

14. by RachelJ

On July 9, 2008 at 9:52 pm

For the boy: Jacobean, Jacoboo, danger boy (he was always getting into trouble, like trying to launch himself off stuff), grunt (for the noises he made).
    For the girl: missy moo, pinky, Ava Sweetheart (this one said over & over by older brother, age 5, when she would cry in her car seat and he was trying to get her to stop), cuddle bunny.

15. by Jeannine

On July 9, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Crankasauras
    Capt’n
    Noodle
    Noodly Doodle
    My son’s name is no where near any of this.

16. by Kim

On July 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm

My oldest quickly became Sweet PEA (her initials). My youngest is called a variety of things – mainly ‘punkin’ and ‘poodle’, and my husband calls her ‘monner’ (monster). Our 3am name for her is Lucy-fer…although many months later she still has those moments. (I know, it’s awful, but there are times when it’s just appropriate!)

17. by Reyna

On July 10, 2008 at 2:10 am

My Elisa has several. My oldest son & his friend call her “Beautiful Gorgeous”, my daughter & younger son call her “Isa”, my youngest son just calls her “Baby”, my brothers call her “L”, and my husband and I have so many I couldn’t pick out just one!
    I’ve called my Alejandro “Baby Moonface” since he was tiny because of his sweet, little round face, tiny nose, and great big brown eyes. He’s also known as Alligator, Alligator Lips, and AleBabua!
    My brother calls my Emilio “Chameleon”, and several family members call him “Elmo” because it’s easier to say and spell!

18. by susan

On July 10, 2008 at 2:58 am

i call my daughter “the little beast” because when she wakes up in the morning her curly hairy is all wild!

19. by John J. O'Sullivan

On July 10, 2008 at 8:50 am

Jeannine, please know that I will be stealing “Crankasaurus” if the need arises. However, in order to avoid copyright infringement, I’ll be adding my own little touch: Crankasaurus Rex.
    -j

20. by John J. O'Sullivan

On July 10, 2008 at 8:50 am

-j

21. by John J. O'Sullivan

On July 10, 2008 at 8:50 am

-j

22. by Karen Lehman

On July 10, 2008 at 9:43 am

Snorty Snorkleson or Snorklestein…snorty the clown…bubba…hay hay…H…and inevitably Becks as his whole name is Hayden Beckett

23. by max's momma

On July 10, 2008 at 9:45 am

our first (and only) is 15-month old Max, whose nicknames include: Capt’n Pooperton (no explanation needed), Bug Boy (because he curled up like a bug when newborn), Doodle-bug, little man, Maxi, Maxi-doodle, … and more which I can’t remember offhand. He calls himself “baby”.

24. by max's momma

On July 10, 2008 at 9:45 am

25. by max's momma

On July 10, 2008 at 9:45 am

26. by Natalie

On July 10, 2008 at 10:14 am

My son was called Pizza. One of my preschoolers sugested that we name him Pizza so that is what we called him during the pregnancy and during the first few weeks. It was difficult to switch to his real name.

27. by Becky

On July 10, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Our son has been called PJ, Munchkin, Munchkin Man, Munch, Buddy, Little Man, (my husband’s name) Jr.

28. by Sarah

On July 10, 2008 at 1:57 pm

My little girl is over a year and I call her Lady Bird,mainly because that’s what my Grandma would call her when she was born. My husband call her the Leading Lady of Poop when she smells bad. Or Princess Stinksalot. All done in love of course :) .

29. by kiara

On July 10, 2008 at 2:01 pm

She was “la crevette” (the shrimp) in utero. She then became “hungry cat” or “rayon de soleil” (ray of sun). These days she is mainly “chaton” (kitten).

30. by kiara

On July 10, 2008 at 2:02 pm

31. by Lisabeth

On July 10, 2008 at 3:49 pm

We called our little one “Muppet” because her arms were out of control. She swung those babies around like an angry Elmo.

32. by Miranda

On July 10, 2008 at 3:49 pm

This is so funny, we have tons of nicknames for my 2 year old Evan – the one that has stuck is Ducky. Also EB, The Duckster, Evansky, Toots, Mr. McDuck. It sounds stupid after typing them out but I love them!

33. by Lisabeth

On July 10, 2008 at 3:49 pm

34. by Christina

On July 11, 2008 at 12:39 pm

My four children have many, many nicknames. Our 1 year old Bree is called sweetness, sweetie pie, Breebaby, Bree Bree, Breekins, Baby girl, babykins, Bee, Busyness . . . and the list goes on and on. For my 2 month old Christian, he has just started and will soon have a complete list too (Chris, Chrissy, Chrisman, little man, baby boy, the thinker, fussypot, etc.

35. by Jackie

On July 11, 2008 at 3:04 pm

My daughter Kristalyn had (and still has) the following:
    Kreasy Bear
    Kris
    Talyn
    Boogie (pronounced booj-ee)
    Bugs
    KLyn
    Baby

36. by Lori

On July 11, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Our 3-month old daughter, Addison, earned the nickname Chuckles from my husband. He had put her to bed in her crib, then went up about a 1/2 hour later to put our older daughter to bed. There was Addison in her crib, not sleeping, but looking up at my husband and grinning away.

37. by madmommy

On July 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm

Our munchkin (the most long-standing of his nicknames) has been called “gherkin” by my mom (he was a very small baby), and the BTWIT by my hubby (standing for Blood Thirsty Warrior In Training; we’re an Army family, can you tell?)

38. by Brenda

On July 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Our daughter Juliet Hope has the following nicknames:
    Juju (most often used)
    Jujubean
    JHope
    Lady Juicington
    Jucifer (when she’s being naughty)
    JJ Hopeington
    Boots
    Pickles (because her feet sometimes smell like pickles)
    Ju Man Chu
    I can’t think of anymore right now…

40. by Natalie

On July 14, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Emilia was Emi
    or Little Miss Thunderpants, Grumpy Grumperman and Little Girly Two shoes.

41. by nik

On July 16, 2008 at 4:28 am

Oh man, do we have some nicknames over here.
    Madelynn = Maddy Moo, Moodle, Dyl Pickles, Wonk-wonk, Mooms, Moomerton, and just plain Mad, when it fits.
    Brady = Brady Boo, B-money, Boozle, Fizgig
    Reagan = Reggae, Reggie Roo, Rootus, RootyTooty, Ray-Gun, BabyRay, Little, and Wonka.
    As a team, they’re the smunchkins.
    RAN-DOM, I know. But they love it.

42. by Melissa

On July 17, 2008 at 6:48 pm

I thought this post was so cute :) My daughter Marlena who is 12 (going on 13) was Cutie Monster when she was a baby. NOw it is Lena, “E” or Darth Marl.
    “E” is from her Uncle, and Darth Marl is just her evil side. LOL!

43. by Melissa O'Koch

On August 1, 2008 at 1:48 pm

My Little Timmy is often called Frankenstein, Crankenstein, Squishy Face, Farfegnugen, Timmah and sometimes even Uncle John.

44. by Melissa O'Koch

On August 1, 2008 at 1:48 pm

45. by Melissa O'Koch

On August 1, 2008 at 1:48 pm

46. by Carter

On August 14, 2008 at 5:35 pm

How funny is this? I love reading everyones nicknames. We have a few too…
    My oldest Tony….Tonzilla, Peanut, Peanut butter, T-Bone
    My middle son, Coby Reece….Middle Man, Co-Man, Coby won kenobi, RecciePiece
    My youngest son, Ethan…he is just simply Puddy and unlike the boys who just get their nicknames around the house, Ethans nickname stuck and somehow became his name so he is and will always be Puddy. EVERYONE calls him that but if you knew him you would say he most definatly is a Puddy ;)
    My 4 and only daughter, Tylie Bree…Ty, Ty-Bee, Ty Bee Island, Ty-Ty
    and my biggest baby of them all…my husband, Pookie ;)