Stretch Marks Be Gone?

Pregnant_belly_2
Check out this article about stretch marks that ran today in The New York Times. An overview: Even if you’re one of the lucky ones who didn’t develop stretch marks long before you were thinking about having a baby, the unsightly lines affect about 90 percent of pregnant women. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says there is no way to prevent stretch marks since they’re caused by a variety of factors, including weight gain, genetics and race. And while many women swear by stretch mark creams during pregnancy, the jury’s still out among experts on whether they really work. The one piece of good news? Once you have the marks, there are treatments like lasers and prescription creams that can help diminish their appearance. And the technology will only continue to get better.

[Photo via]

Tags: , | Categories: Beauty, Pregnancy

1. by Adventures In Babywearing

On May 29, 2008 at 2:13 pm

I just wrote about stretch marks today! I’m on my fourth pregnancy (a girl this time!) and this is also the first time I’ve ever had stretch marks! AH!
    Steph

2. by AJ

On May 29, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Tattoo your stretch marks. Big, bright lightning bolts. They’re a badge of honor.
    Please, convince my wife this is a good idea.

3. by nancy

On May 29, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I agree with wearing your stretch marks as a badge of honor. It took us 6 years to get pregnant the first time and another 8 years the second time. I see my stretch marks as a blessing because they came with the babies that I was told I’d never have. I wouldn’t trade them (my stretch marks or my boys) for anything! : )

4. by Just call me Stretch

On May 30, 2008 at 1:55 pm

The dermatologist failed to mention that Retion-A may be harmful to fetuses, so only use it after pregnancy and if you are not nursing.

5. by Just call me Stretch

On May 30, 2008 at 1:57 pm

The dermatologist failed to mention that Retion-A may be harmful to fetuses, so only use if after pregnancy and if you are not nursing.

6. by glendora dermatology

On February 18, 2009 at 5:01 am

These good news if there are treatments now like lasers and prescription creams that can help diminish their appearance of stretch mark.Thank you for sharing.
    by: sphin