The Giant Cupcake Strikes Back!!

Cupakecollage
Ever since we blogged about the infamous Wilton giant cupcake cake pan, our readers have been whipping up their own. It’s been awhile since we’ve shared their (seriously impressive) baking skillz, so we bring you eight more examples of rockin’ reader giant cupcakes.

• Adrienne Tsang shares an awesome tip: "I froze the 2 pieces overnight before trimming the top/bottom so they would sit flat. It also helped to have it frozen for the frosting process." Good to know!
  • Jenny Lee says "All in all it was much easier than I would’ve thought! My son was especially AMAZED at his mommy’s skills. For now I will hide my cupcake pan and let him think his mommy is truly amazing!"
  • Roxanne Blake made her giant cupcake for her daughter’s first birthday, and says "Everyone loved it!"
  • Katherine Loflin had never baked a cake in a mold before, but says it turned out "so cute!"
  • Kimberly Hoerner let her daughter call the shots: "My daughter asked for this cake for her birthday and she sat there and told me how she wanted it decked out."
  • Michele Myers is a pro: This is her second attempt at the big guy. The first time she used the recipe that came with the pan, but this time she went for a boxed cake mix.

Tags: , , | Categories: Food, Time for Fun

1. by judy

On April 3, 2008 at 12:03 pm

THESE ARE BEYOND AWESOME!!!! I am now considering having a party where everyone is required to bring a giant cupcake—just for the asthetic value of seeing so many giant cupcakes together in one place.

2. by Holly

On April 3, 2008 at 1:27 pm

I made a giant cupcake for my son’s first birthday, too. I think I may have to do a new version every year it was so darn awesome.
    See a picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollyp/2212651921/in/set-72157603780615083/

3. by Jennifer

On April 3, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Okay, the way goodyblog posts these cupcakes, I’m half tempted to get this pan for myself, and I’m not even a baker!!!

4. by Angie

On April 3, 2008 at 3:28 pm

I have this pan but haven’t done a test bake yet – I have until July for my son’s 1st birthday. How many boxes of cake mix did you use? Does it bake as long as the box of mix says?

5. by Lisa

On April 3, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Yay, after posting on the original post I just saw this one with MORE photos! I am so excited to mak this for my baby’s 1st birthday next week!
    For those just seeing this Michaels had a 50% off coupon in this past Sunday’s paper. I was able to get this today for $15.XX. Sweet deal!

6. by SALLY

On April 3, 2008 at 7:37 pm

I am so loving these cupcakes..very impressive

7. by Lisa

On April 3, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Jennifer if you go back to the original post there are loads of helpful tips but over all they are saying you need 2 cake mixes, fill all but like half an inch I believe, and back at 325 for 55-65 minutes. Hope that helps. I’ve been reading non-stop peoples comments on this thing for 2 days :) .

8. by Roxanne

On April 4, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Thanks Goody!
    Holly- cute!
    Jennifer- yes, I used almost 2 boxes of cake mix, we had regular sized cupcakes as well, so I used the remaining mix for those. and bakes as Lisa had posted. I read all the comments/suggestions everyone had shared on the original post. I also did as someone else suggested and froze the pieces overnight in freezer bags, then transported them to the party location and decorated the cake there.

9. by Jennifer

On April 4, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I BOUGHT THE PAN TODAY!!!
    Thanks for the Michael’s tip-I usually use my coupons there to get Thomas the Tank Engine stuff with a discount. :-)
    And, I’m the non-baker but I will find some reason to concoct a giant size cupcake.

10. by Adrienne

On April 4, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Angie – I made 2 boxes of cake mix and used 3 cups of batter for the top and 4 for the bottom. I had leftover batter for regular/mini cupcakes. But next time I think I’ll put a little less in the bottom (3.5 cups) since it got pretty high above the pan.
    I also highly recommend spraying the pan with a flour based spray (I used Baker’s Joy). I was very worried the cake wouldn’t come out of the pan but it slid right out.
    I love this pan and am using it for my daughter’s 3rd birthday cake, along with lots of cupcakes.
    Another suggestion is that I found a chocolate top was hard to frost, it required a lot of frosting to cover it. Next time I might make the top vanilla and the bottom chocolate.

11. by Nichole

On April 9, 2008 at 11:36 am

I have never made this cake but I just finished a Wilton cake decorating class at my local party store and Wilton makes an awesome product called Cake Release that you squirt a little into your pan and brush on with a pastry brush. It has a similar consistency to butter. It cuts down on those pesky cake crumbs and will let your cake fall right out of the pan every time. I even used it in my cupcake pan without paper liners and all 12 fell out perfect (very little clean up). I would recommend it to anyone using one of these shape pans.

12. by Michele Myers

On April 12, 2008 at 11:22 am

Made another giant cupcake cake to celebrate the arrival of spring. I was running short on time, so used another box mix, which bakes incredibly well and saves a ton of time. I colored some shredded coconut for the grass, lined with some jelly beans leftover from Easter and popped in some ladybug decorations! It was a huge hit. I really am addicted to this pan. :)

13. by Michele Myers

On April 12, 2008 at 5:07 pm

14. by Cindy

On June 10, 2008 at 2:52 pm

How much cake does it take to bake the pan? IT seems so BIG! I am curious, since the pan has no real instructions.

15. by Sarah

On June 29, 2008 at 9:49 pm

I made this cake and I loved it!!!! The top did bake a little faster, but it still tasted wonderful!
    Thanks for all of the tips!
    They helped a ton!

16. by Carrie

On March 4, 2009 at 10:39 am

I bought the one being sold on QVC.
    Great thing, I thought, is that bottom & top parts of the cupcake are separate so you can bake as needed.
    Plus it’s silicone = non stick, easy to slide off mold.

17. by Asley Brush

On August 27, 2011 at 1:08 am

I consider something genuinely special in this website.