Forgetting Something?

237900313_cb9e053845_m
Hey new moms- ever find yourself putting the cereal box away in the fridge or addressing your husband by the dog’s name? Don’t worry- you’re not crazy, according to this USA Today article. You’ve just got momnesia. Apparently, researchers have found that many new moms’ memories get a little cloudy, especially in the days following child birth. One possible reason? Mothers are learning to be super attentive to every move their baby makes, causing some areas of their brain to go into hyper-active mode while others get a bit fuzzy. Basically, remembering to take the keys out of the ignition has been put on the back burner because your brain is devoted to analyzing if that wailing, non-stop cry could be a signal for more than just a hungry baby. Interesting, huh?

If you’ve ever experienced "momnesia," tell us your story!

Image via

Tags: | Categories: Pregnancy

1. by feener

On March 4, 2008 at 3:07 pm

there are many times where i find the ice cream in the fridge stead of the freezer.
    Just the other night as we sat for dinner, I handed my husband a sippy cup…as if it was his drink. I do feel the fog lifting a bit, as my youngest is 17 months.

2. by Jana

On March 4, 2008 at 3:31 pm

My little one refused to sleep unless held and we weren’t going the bed-sharing route. One night when he was just a month old I had finally gotten him down in his crib around 4 am (we were taking shifts at night mine was the 2 am – 8 am shift). A half-hour later I hear him cry on the monitor I jolted out of bed and raced to the other room, forgetting I had half-closed the door.
    I ran SMACK into the edge of the door. I woke up my husband who heard the crash (which is what I was trying to avoid by racing into the other room). I thought I had cracked my glasses (thank goodness I hadn’t) or that I’d have a big bruise on my forehead for a long time. My husband was aghast that I’d tell people I ran into a door, he was worried what they might think. But we laugh about it now, looking back on how tired/sleep-deprived we were.

3. by AbbieRoad

On March 4, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Oh boy did I ever have momnesia! I got it a bit towards the end of my pregnancy too, I called that “Placenta Brain”
    It was so much worse when my son was born. I remember one day coming home from running errands with him, grocery bag in one hand, baby in the infant carrier in the other – getting frustrated because my front door wouldn’t unlock….. too bad I was using my car’s automatic unlock key fob to try to get my house door open…..
    Luckily I’ve leveled out now!

4. by Jennifer C

On March 4, 2008 at 3:58 pm

I don’t think there has been a single day since my second child was born that I have addressed everyone by the correct name all day. What’s worse? That I mix up the kids names… or that I am constantly calling one of them by the dog’s name???

5. by Maria

On March 4, 2008 at 6:23 pm

My baby is almost one and I believe I still have momnesia…I’m not sure if it will ever go away!

6. by Kellie C

On March 5, 2008 at 10:35 am

Twenty-four hours after my baby was born, I was more than ready for a shower. I managed to stumble into the bathroom in the hospital, turn the water on, step in, and I couldn’t figure out why the world went so blurry all of a sudden.
    Because I’d worn my glasses into the shower, that’s why.

7. by Sarah

On March 6, 2008 at 9:46 pm

My daughter is 9 mos old and I accidentally left her “keep refrigerated” medicine out, all day! I knew when I was leaving for work this morning that I was forgetting to do something, but I couldn’t figure it out. D’oh!

8. by religion

On March 31, 2013 at 8:37 am

Thanks a great deal for offering folks with such a marvellous option to examine essential opinions from right here. It really is usually so sweet and too , jam-packed with a great time for me personally and my office environment co-employees to visit your website at the very least 3 times in 7 days and nights to discover the latest guides you have. And naturally, I am also continually astounded with all the spectacular secrets you give. Chosen two issues in this put up are the truth is probably the most successful We’ve previously received.