A Cause Worth Celebrating

552089650_2fca7d2f27_mWant to cut back on the amount of toys that never make it out of the toy box, or think it’s time to teach your kids about charity? Then check out ECHOage for your child’s next birthday bash. Founded by two moms, this site invites your party’s guests to make a contribution (between $10 – $30) instead of bringing a present. Half of this is then donated to a charity, while the other half is sent to the host so that they can purchase a single gift for the birthday girl or boy. Your child gets one meaningful present that she really wants, and learns a lesson in giving. Bonus: you don’t have to clean up the wrapping paper and ribbons left behind in the aftermath of tearing open gifts!

Do you think your kids would be cool with an ECHOage party? Or is the thrill of the pile of presents half the fun of a birthday party?

Image via

1. by RJR

On February 26, 2008 at 4:53 pm

This is an outstanding idea – it teaches children an important lesson about giving while helping to make my life as a parent much easier. This made my day.

2. by cw

On February 26, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I think reducing the gift grab is a great idea — we do gifts every other year at my daughter’s parties. On the off year, kids bring a book to exchange.

3. by Eden Paige

On February 26, 2008 at 5:29 pm

FINALLY! It is about time someone create a true solution to the birthday party madness…Thanks to echoage.com we can have our cake and eat it too! Sign me up!

4. by Amy

On February 26, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Love this idea. So cool on many levels. Can I do for my birthday too!

5. by Karen

On February 26, 2008 at 11:35 pm

I guess I’m the only one who hates this idea. I don’t like dictating gifts. I think it’s rude, especially when there’s a monetary value attached. If you want money to go to charity, list that – In lieu of gifts, we’d appreciate a donation to the Humane Society. And buy the big present yourself.

6. by Andria

On February 27, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I am on board with Karen, I don’t like to ever tell a guest what to bring as a gift, especially stipulating a dollar amount. A gift is something that should be given as a gesture of love. For my son’s birthday parties I suggest no gifts for our guests. We instead focus the party on the games and socializing. I do however appreciate anything that can teach a child charitable giving. This just would not work for our family.

7. by Andria

On February 27, 2008 at 3:49 pm

8. by deck boats

On July 2, 2011 at 5:43 am

Good Writer

9. by pandora bracelets

On September 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Every day time I’m alot more impressed from your artical. Thanks for your personal efforts in expressing this particular theme. This is a wonderful feature. Cool. Love the possibility to contain stats designed for private sites, too! I appreciate everything using this artical.

10. by cheap Thomas Sabo Jewellery UK online

On September 14, 2011 at 6:13 am

Your artical may be so simple however retains some elegance as well as grace. And while using options in addition to customization you may have enabled, I’m sure it will appeal to a lot bloggers. It’s pretty commendable that you are interested in let united states, the buyers, to have got a wide offering of themes for the blogs. Keep them all coming!

11. by Ross Schurk

On November 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this web site. Thank you, I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your website?

12. by linkadvice.info: about Betting Play

On November 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm

My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to checking out your web page yet again.

13. by Texas Holdem - bettingtexasholdem.info

On November 23, 2011 at 1:02 am

I do not know if it’s just me or if everybody else encountering issues with your blog. It appears as though some of the written text on your content are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too? This may be a problem with my web browser because I’ve had this happen before. Appreciate it

14. by Merle Toles

On December 26, 2011 at 12:25 am

Excelent info my friend!!, keep it comming!

15. by Asia Beilstein

On January 5, 2012 at 7:46 am

F*ckin? remarkable things here. I am very glad to see your article. Thanks a lot and i am looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

16. by bottes ugg australia pas cher

On January 10, 2012 at 7:02 am

You made some decent factors there. I seemed on the web for the difficulty and found most individuals will associate with with your website.