In Praise Of Aquaphor—Or—How I De-Chapped My Cheeks

300_2
After being outside on a particularly blustery and cold night this weekend, I woke up Sunday to extremely red, blotchy, splotchy, scary cheeks. Yup, I had chapped cheeks, common ailment of babies and children everywhere. Not a good look for me, and my fairly expensive face lotion wasn’t helping a bit. So I popped online to google "chapped cheeks, baby" and was saved by the infinite wisdom of mothers. Aquaphor, I found out, is the fix of choice. I felt ridiculous slathering something with the consistency and lovely sheen of Vaseline on my cheeks (mmm, oily and splotchy red! delicious!) but lo and behold, within hours the nasty chap was gone! I’m now convinced that Aquaphor Healing Ointment is miraculous.

What’s your winter chap cure?

Tags: , | Categories: Beauty, Solutions

1. by Andrea

On January 23, 2008 at 10:42 am

Aquaphor is an amazing product. I found it when our oldest child was a baby. She had a chapped little chin from teething and I had a sample of this we had received from the hospital. It cleared it up instantly. It works great for any skin ussues, even diaper irratation.

2. by Terina

On January 23, 2008 at 12:06 pm

this stuff is great. if you have really dry skin or mild excema, it can really really help. it also helps your lips and almost any other dry area of your body. i slather my kids with it after bathing. winter=dry weather=itchy skin. it really really helps.

3. by Leeanthro

On January 23, 2008 at 12:33 pm

We use this on the baby’s cheeks, butt cheeks, chapped knees (he’s just started crawling). On my daughter’s dry skin and on my dry, cracked hands. It’s a wonder product!
    We also use Cetaphil soap and cream. You know the kind in the reach-in tub. Very moisturizing. I even use it on my face in the winter.

4. by Nutmeg

On January 23, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Aquaphor is the only diaper ointment we’ve ever used. First sign of bumps… slather it on and they’re gone. He gets a slather every night before bed. He gets a slather under his nose when it’s been running.
    Best Ever.

5. by Tara

On January 23, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Aquaphor is the best thing ever! Our daughter has atopic dermatitis, and a thick slather of Aquaphor is often all it takes to get it and keep it cleared up. We use it on everything – scrapes, cuts, brush burn, diaper rash, dry skin, even on the cat when she got scratched. Seriously, we love it. Should I continue to gush?

6. by Elizabeth

On January 23, 2008 at 7:49 pm

I found that Aquaphor works wonders for sunburn! I burnt my shoulders pretty badly (I didn’t mean to!) and nothing was helping ease the pain. My sister-in-law had just given us a new baby basket with Aquaphor in it. I gave it a try and it worked quickly and seemed to help heal the skin.

7. by Amy

On January 23, 2008 at 8:52 pm

We’ve used this on both kids and it works miraculously overnight! If they go to bed with red and chapped cheeks, they wake up with out them. It’s great!

8. by Jenny

On January 24, 2008 at 5:09 am

This is all I have ever used as well. Love the stuff.

9. by lauren

On January 24, 2008 at 11:35 am

i love this stuff, my son has chapped cheeks as well and this cleared them up. it stays on really well too. i apply it after i wash his face and the redness never comes back. im addicted

10. by Nichole

On January 24, 2008 at 12:31 pm

This was recommended to me when my son had a very dry nose from continual running for a couple weeks. It wasn’t the consistency I expected when I first used it but it worked great to heal his very sore nose. And a healed nose is A LOT easier to wipe than a sore nose.

11. by Gina

On January 25, 2008 at 12:18 am

I’ve used this ointment for years on my own skin, and used nothing else on my daughter when she was born. I’m a director for a childcare and parents have been asking me about what to do for their little ones. I now keep a small bottle in my desk to show parents and they love it now, too!

12. by KLFD

On June 14, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Aquaphor has become my answer for almost every scrape, scratch, burn, and even chapped lips! It is a must have in your medicine cabinet. If you can afford to buy the 14 oz tub, it is well worth the money!