Get Good Grades, Get a Burger?

533704195_6345320457_m
Until I read this New York Times article, I had completely forgotten that each year my middle school took kids who had received good grades to Burger King for lunch (we had to pay for it, however.) Well, now a Florida school district has teamed up with McDonalds to reward good grades and attendance with a free Happy Meal. What do you all think of this? Is it a smart way to motivate kids to do well in school? Commercialization of education? (Ronald and the golden arches are now all over the children’s report card jackets) Or is a free cheeseburger, fries and a soda an unhealthy way to view getting straight As?

Image via

1. by Tara

On December 6, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Meh, they’re going to eat it anyway, might as well bribe ‘em to get good grades.

2. by Brittany

On December 6, 2007 at 8:04 pm

It sounds like fun. Believe it or not, the occasional Happy Meal never hurt anyone.

3. by Amy

On December 6, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Believe it or not, this is not a new idea. When I was teaching, middle school students were rewarded for good grades with a personal pizza-I think it was from Pizza Hut.
    I don’t think it’s a big deal. Our family doesn’t go to McDonald’s or Pizza Hut at this point, but if we went once each school term, I certainly don’t think it would hurt us or our kids! :)

4. by Besu

On December 6, 2007 at 11:33 pm

I see nothing wrong with it. Don’t most kids meals now come with healthier options, anyway? When I was in elementary school, we had the Book-It program where we earned personal pan pizzas from Pizza Hut for reading so many books. I thought it was awesome, but I was a voracious reader already. It’s not going to hurt to get a treat every few months. Moderation is the key and makes the reward all the sweeter.

5. by Karen @ A Healthy Balance

On December 7, 2007 at 1:35 pm

I don’t think it’s a big deal. An occasional Happy Meal is ok. It becomes a problem when parents take their kids there a few times a week to avoid cooking. Plus, it gives the kids something to look forward to.

6. by Stephanie

On December 7, 2007 at 4:51 pm

Sounds like fun! It’s great to see “big name” corporations partnering with schools to give kids incentives to do well academically.

7. by Angie

On December 9, 2007 at 3:38 am

WOW, how very sad! This is not a good way to “treat” our children. First of all, food should not be used as a reward. Does anyone realize the problems our country is having with health issues related to food and body image. And second, fast food is such an unhealthy thing to give our growing children. I can’t believe that this would happen is this day and time. I am so happy to see the schools who are banning all junk food, and having healthier options.

8. by Autumn

On December 9, 2007 at 9:52 am

My daughter is in first grade this year and has gotten tons of these. We don’t use them.
    I think it’s definitely sending the wrong message to kids and it makes me mad.
    Why not reward them with, say, a gift card to a book store?!

9. by Kathy

On December 9, 2007 at 3:38 pm

Good idea about the gift card to a book store. Or even the school can have a selection of books for the kids to choose from for good grades. My sons school gave him a cert. for a meal at Taco Bell.

10. by Amy

On December 10, 2007 at 9:30 am

Fast food joints do offer healthier options now, but how excited do kids really get over a happy meal? I think they would rather have a small prize or for bigger kids maybe a homework pass?

11. by Miranda

On December 11, 2007 at 7:37 pm

My daughter receives Book-It rewards to Pizza Hut and quite honestly, I’m OK with this. There’s definitely some question about the quality of food, but that is ultimately my decision to use the voucher or not. The schools may also be receiving some kind of compensation to use at their discretion, so the bigger question for me is why aren’t bookstores providing a similar plan to our schools, instead of convenient fast food joints providing opportunities for partnership?

12. by Miranda

On December 11, 2007 at 8:06 pm

13. by Bridget

On December 13, 2007 at 8:26 pm

At a time when obesity is such a huge problem in our country, food should not be used as a reward.

14. by Heather

On December 20, 2007 at 9:45 am

I think it’s disgusting! My almost 4-year old has never eaten McDonalds or any other fast food and I would not appreciate her school rewarding good grades with bad, greasy, trans-fat laden fast food. That’s no reward!

15. by Is Good Thing

On January 24, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Would want free pizza hut book it reward vouchers if you do not want it. Willing to buy it for 1 or 2 dollar on craigslist. I see worst school lunch menus that contain a lot of sugar. We are know sugar and carb equal fat. Just thinking of starving children out there reminded me of my time that some school like mine serve so little portions while other school serve a lot of food. Now what low fat or nonfat milk is fine but now these day you can only have juice or milk because you can not have both. These day children are allow to buy soda and junk food in school. When I was in six grade I was the skinnest and smallest one in class because I did not want to drink milk and the food portion was quite small even the bully from kindergarten was picking on me because she was three time the size of me. Wish I had free food like these and calcium is actually good for you. I would encouage it even WIC which I wish to have when I was young. Thank goodness for free stuff and you all should not take it for granted. Children will grow out there fat anyway with regular execise instead of tv and games.