A Green Christmas Tree

Elle_xmastree_2
Now before you say, "duh"… do you know how to make a naturally green Christmas tree, well, Green?  Here’s a hint: You don’t have to chop down an evergreen to enjoy it during the holiday season. (And I’m not suggesting you decorate the fir tree in your front yard instead of putting one up in the living room either.) This year I’m taking a cue from my sister (who normally scoffs at what she calls my "tree-hugging ways"). She and her boyfriend will soon decorate a live Blue Spruce Christmas tree, which they bought from the local nursery for $95 (not much more than your average cut-tree price tag, mind you). Their plan is to plant O’ Tannenbaum in the backyard after the new year and have something to remember their first Christmas together by for years to come. Now of course for this to work every year one would need a very large backyard that could accommodate a lifetime of Christmas trees, but even still I think it’s a pretty cool, eco-friendly idea. So when she sent this picture of her new tree to my cell phone last night, I praised her efforts and welcomed her to the "green side". Then I reminded her to decorate with LED lights, since they use 90% less energy (I just couldn’t resist).

1. by Tara

On December 14, 2007 at 11:26 am

This is a great idea, but I wonder how it would work logistically for us. We live in PA, and the ground is pretty much frozen from January to March. Would you just leave the tree in the pot (or whatever it’s in now)? Would it live until the ground thaws?
    Just curious. I would think my daughter would love looking at our tree in the yard year after year.

2. by Taryn

On December 14, 2007 at 11:54 am

Tara, that’s a really good question! I wish I had some advice for you, but since my sister is trying this out for the first time, I’m not sure how it’s all going to pan out. I’d recommend speaking with your local nursery when you go to inquire about live trees and get instructions from one of the tree-planting experts!
    Good luck!

3. by Amy

On December 14, 2007 at 2:03 pm

My parents did this one year and I loved the idea. We live in a apartment or I’d be all over it. My dad left it in the garage until the ground thawed (we live in Michigan) and it has been living out there for about 4 years. Also they told him not to decorate it with lights because it would make it to warm. I guess I would check with the nursery for those instructions though.

4. by Tracy B.

On December 14, 2007 at 7:07 pm

That is a great idea. It would also be nice to do for a babies first Christmas. Then you will be planting the tree to celebrate two things.

5. by cathy r

On December 15, 2007 at 9:05 am

Mu husband and I spent an entire Saturday shopping for a live tree we could re-plant in our yard … the closest thing we could find was a 4ft Lelyand Cyprus for $109 – not really big enough for a tree to decorate. I guess since we live in South Georgia – being green hasn’t sunk into the mentality around here!

6. by prayer

On March 31, 2013 at 11:03 am

I am so pleased to examine this. This would be the type of manual that needs being given and never the random misinformation which is in the other blogs. Recognize your sharing this greatest doc.

7. by Yuette Osmus

On April 15, 2013 at 4:24 pm

My brother encouraged I may well like this web site. He was completely proper. This put up actually created my working day. You can not think about just just how much time I obtained spent for this info! Thanks!