Books for Little Kids (and Their Parents)

61rrjbno9kl_aa240_
51q0dnkyzl_bo2204203200_pisitbdp500
5123dgakm7l_bo2204203200_pisitbdp50
I got three new books this week and my 2 1/2 year old is obsessed with them all! A classic was recommended by my friend and colleague Judy: Tikki Tikki Tembo, an old Chinese folk tale about a mom with two sons, one has a short name and the other quite a long one. Tikki Tikki Tembo is short for Tikki Tikki Tembo-No Sa Rembo-Chari Bari Ruchi-Pip Peri Pembo and I’ll be darned but Will chants the entire name whereas I stop at Tembo. It’s a really cool read aloud for us. The second was a gift from friend and colleague Kourtney: Smash Crash.  She knows Will  is all about the vehicles (trains, cars, trucks) and this is about two best truck friends who, well, smash and crash—but always with a nice outcome. When we’re not tikki-ing, we’re smash-crashing. (The book comes out in January.) Third is a book I saw and loved and bought: The Incredible Book Eating Boy by this incredible Irish artist Oliver Jeffries. Again, the title says it all: this boy loves to eat books! And Will loves to listen to me tell him about this boy eating books. What have been your kids’ favorite books throughout the years? I’m always looking for a wonderful read.

1. by Taryn

On October 19, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Tikki Tikki Tembo is one of my all-time favorites! Glad to hear it’s still popular ; ))

2. by Traci

On October 19, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Snow and 10 Rubber Ducks both by Eric Carle. My 1 year old loves Oops! by David Shannon and of course we love reading The Little Engine that Could by Watty Piper.

3. by Christina

On October 19, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Tikki, Tikki Tembo was one of my FAVORITES as a child and is my daughter’s favorite!!!

4. by Beckie

On October 19, 2007 at 9:52 pm

My daughter knows the Tiki Tiki Tembo by heart! Sometimes she just out of the blue starts singing the name, like it’s a song, LOL!

5. by Lisa

On October 19, 2007 at 10:05 pm

I’d head for the library right now to get Tiki Tiki Tembo, but it’s too late! I like that it is a good read aloud book. We’ve been very focused on good “picture” books lately, like Knuffle Bunny, Today I will Fly, Make Way for Ducklings, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, and a Chinese story called _The Empty Pot_. Another good “sound” book, though, is Maurice Sendak’s _Chicken Soup with Rice_.

6. by Stephanie

On October 20, 2007 at 11:56 am

Tiki Tiki Tembo was my favorite book when I was a kid. I plan on getting it for my daughter for Christmas :-)

7. by Gina

On October 20, 2007 at 5:13 pm

I am a HUGE children’s book fan, probably more than my 4 year old daughter. Here are some of our favorites:
    1. “Zen Shorts” John J. Muth
    2. “Three Questions” John J. Muth
    3. “The Real Story of the Three Little Pigs”
    4. “The Web Files”
    5. “How are You Peeling?”
    6. “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom”
    7. “Is There Really a Human Race”
    8. “Wet Dog!”
    9. “Actual Size”
    10. “Flotsam”
    How about a discussion on great children’s music?

8. by Janetta Primeaux

On October 20, 2007 at 8:36 pm

I enjoy reading and reading with my grandson. we sit nightly to read, these stories would be a wonderful addtion to our book collections

9. by Melanie

On October 20, 2007 at 9:08 pm

I’ve also loved Tikki Tikki Tembo since I was a little kid!!

10. by Karen

On October 22, 2007 at 10:26 pm

Oh yes, Tikki Tikki Tembo. I remember that one. My children’s lit professor read that to us in college.
    My daughter likes Goodnight Moon, but honestly, I don’t see why it’s so popular.

11. by Sherry

On October 23, 2007 at 3:03 am

My son likes “How To Catch A Star” by Oliver JEFFERS, the same author as “The Incredible Book Eating Boy.” We also like “I Took The Moon For A Walk” by Carolyn Curtis, illustrated by Alison Jay. It’s great to read at bedtime. My son loves finding all of the little animals in the illustrations.