The Scariest Thing I’ve Seen In a Long Time

Ap_online
I am so disturbed by this service, which I came across while sk*rting today. Apparently, this company will retouch your CHILD’S photo (including, but not limited to: adding hair, moving irises, fixing teeth, adding headband and earrings, tanning skin, removing dark circles, adding powder, lipstick, and blush, and reshaping arms.) Wow. I truly can’t (or don’t want to) imagine what a parent would get this for… Just to hang it up on the fridge? When good old Glamour Shots aren’t available?  To celebrate their imaginary airbrushed children instead of their real, lovely babies? (And, hey, I’m not even one of those people who swears every kid is cute. But every kid is cuter than this craziness!) How is this kid gonna feel when she’s old enough to realize that she can’t live up to her plastic self?

Please tell me this isn’t catching on. Moms and dads–would you ever go there?

1. by laura_s

On August 6, 2007 at 1:26 pm

yucko! that is sooo scary

2. by Brandy

On August 6, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Wow. I feel really sorry for these girls. Great lessons they’re being taught at such a young age!

3. by Ron

On August 6, 2007 at 1:57 pm

I, like the rest of you are shocked and dismayed. However, I wonder if they’d do a portrait of my cats. Lloyd is pushing 14 and he’s not the looker he once was …

4. by Ron

On August 6, 2007 at 1:58 pm

And that last post barely qualifies as acceptable English. My apologies. Just more evidence that I’m jaw-to-the-floor aghast at these portraits.

5. by Andrea

On August 6, 2007 at 2:07 pm

the second pic doesn’t even look real. it looks like a doll. the eyes are NOT REAL.
    if i wanted a doll made to match my child, this could be fun, but this? this is just weird.

6. by Amy H

On August 6, 2007 at 3:12 pm

That was just creepy. I feel like a need a shower or something. I can understand that for people who market their children, like the sunscreen girl in their pics – but I still wouldn’t condone it. I dont’ understand why anyone would just do it to make your kid’s picture “Better”. Either way, the GIANT BANNER across the act says “YOU AREN’T GOOD ENOUGH THE WAY YOU ARE.” And that’s never right to say to a kid.
    Some of them are really even crappy – like “retouch c” – it looks like they cut and pasted a cartoon head on her.
    Yucky website!

7. by Shauna

On August 6, 2007 at 3:26 pm

Before I started reading and looked at the photos, I thought you were going to be posting about a company that makes customized dolls based on a photo of your child. It certainly doesn’t look like a baby in the doctored version!

8. by adrienne

On August 6, 2007 at 6:21 pm

Wow- they need to add a therapy savings account option to these portraits.
    What a weird description:
    “Age Progression Retouching: For Children Who Have Outgrown Their Photos.”
    What does that mean exactly? My child, last photographed at 18 months is now turning two, so I should get old pictures aged and “glamorized” rather than- gasp- taking a new photo?
    Is there something I’m missing here?
    Or our kids supposed to look like they have Mattel imprinted on the soles of their hard plastic feet?
    And I thought the replica dolls were creepy (http://www.mytwinn.com/).
    Spooky! But thanks for the sheer entertainment value, Amanda!

9. by Beckie

On August 6, 2007 at 7:47 pm

Ugh! They are for pageants, one more way to make little girls feel like they aren’t good enough :(

10. by Ginny

On August 7, 2007 at 12:03 am

I also thought it was going to be a post for a doll company. Very scary! I wasn’t surprised to see that the website talks about pageants quite a bit, how upsetting! I feel bad for those kids too. I think it is awful that they even photoshop kids & label it most photogenic. Who isn’t when they are digitally retouched. It is giving girls such bad body image even quicker then most girls seeing the teen mags. Very sad!

11. by Cole's Mama

On August 7, 2007 at 1:27 am

I saw this on another blog a few days ago. They even add “doll eyes” to photos to replace your child’s real eyes! It’s sick! It’s advertised for use for beauty pageant photos. Gives me the creeps!

12. by MommasWorld

On August 7, 2007 at 3:02 pm

I know what they use them for! I have seen these types of photos on Dr. Phil twice. They use them for High Glitz beauty pageants for Photogenic. Yes, you read that right…photo-genic. From what I have learned most of the beauty pageants are going away from these altered photos and asking the parents to submit natural photos.
    Just thought I would share.

13. by Mama Luxe

On August 8, 2007 at 2:59 pm

Seriously? Someone thinks that is beautiful?
    The girl is so pretty in the first photo and looks like a creepy doll in the “retouched” photo.
    Even for a beauty pageant, it just seems weird and extreme.
    And frankly, *I* could do a better job on photoshop. This is just terrible retouching.
    Airbrushing is supposed to make you look good, not like the Bride of Chucky.

14. by Shiz

On August 8, 2007 at 10:30 pm

I can’t stop looking at these creepy photographs!
    So. Very. WRONG.

15. by Alia

On August 9, 2007 at 3:45 pm

As wrong as it is, this is smth that older grandparents are attracted to. That’s exactly the kinda taste my in-laws have (or my own grandparents) -both in their 70s.
    All the presents they buy for me or my girl make me shriek! I hope they will never find out about this one! :-0

16. by Sinead@BreastFeedingMums

On August 10, 2007 at 7:56 am

That really is disgraceful. The thing I most love about my children is the freshness of all their little baby features and their dewy skin. WHY would any parent choose to do this to their beautiful child?

17. by laurie

On August 10, 2007 at 11:51 am

omg. those cheekbones are SO CREEPY.

18. by Jessica Manuel

On August 26, 2007 at 10:37 am

This is sad. Very Sad!!!!!
    You wonder why kids like this get kidnapped, raped, and killed.

19. by candy bron

On October 12, 2007 at 1:04 am

Well, i do see the concern for these types of photos, but i can not beleive the extreme that some of you are going to here, like stating that “kids like this” get kidnapped, raped and killed, that is the kind of person that people on here need to be scared of, everyone else is talking of beauty, this woman is talking mutilation. And there are companies that will make doll versions of your children, and some think that is neat! Yes, these photos are used in just about every pageant that i have seen but has anyone thought of the future in this sense, if someone like Jessica Manuel did kidnap your child, wouldn’t you like to have an age progression of your child if that idiot still has her 2 years later??? I am not saying that these should be exploited, or that i agree or don’t agree, but honestly, what people choose to do with photos of their children aren’t anyone here’s concern. When you take photos do you, cut, crop, take out red eye? Or when you go to a photographer, if your child is drooling, guess what you don’t see it when you get the photo, how do you think that happens? Photos are all a manipulation of people, places and things, and however you choose to view them is your choice. As for a child feeling that they aren’t up to par with these photos, well, if you can’t teach your child that a photo is a photo and a retouch is just that, then you as a parent aren’t capable of teaching your child life lessons.

20. by pageant mom

On October 12, 2007 at 1:09 am

I am with Candy here, it seems to me that those who are making opinions aren’t the greatest educated in some of these things. To state that “kids like these”, what exactly are kids like these? They are better than the 14 year olds that mothers are letting get their belly button pierced, or post practically nude photos of them on myspace. It seems that you are putting so much time and energy into something that truly has no presedence. I know several girls who have these photos and they are more proud of them then the parents, and if you knew any of the pageant parents, then you would no that their children enjoy this, I have seen ignorance before, but the ignorance of some of these comments is deathly, people get a grip and realize that others lifes and choices are not yours and i am sure that if we looked in your door, we could find many things to critize you for, but to go as far as saying “kids like these, get kidnapped, raped and killed”, sounds like you are the one needing therapy.

21. by anonimus

On February 10, 2008 at 5:02 pm

FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT YES RETOUCHING YOUR CHILDRENS PHOTOS IS A WAY OF TELLING THEM THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH THE WAY THEY ARE BUT SERISOULY ALL THESE PEOPLE THAT ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW BAD IT IS WHY ARE YOU EVEN COMPLAINING? THESE ARNT YOUR CHILDRENS PHOTOS THEY ARE RETOUCHING ARE THEY? NO AND THE KIDS LIKE THE WAY THE RETOUCHED PICTURES LOOK ANYWAYS.THE RETOUCHING OF THE PHOTOS IS COMPLETLEY HARMLOUS AND TO THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK THAT THESE ARE THE TYPE OF KIDS WHO GET KIDNAPPED,WELL YOU ARE COMPLETLEY WRONG.THERE ARE OVER 10,000,000 CHILDREN KIDNAPPED EVERYDAY AND WHEN DO YOU EVER HERE OF THEM BEING IN BEAUTY PAGEANTS? THERE IS ONLY ONE CASE THAT HAD TO DO WITH A CILD BEING KILLED THAT WAS IN BEAUTY PAGEANTS AND THAT WAS THE JONBENET RAMSEY CASE.JONBENET WAS NOT EVEN KIDNAPPED SHE WAS FOUND IN HER OWN HOME AND MAY HAVE EVEN BEEN KILLED BY HER OWN PARENTS.DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT THE PARENTS POST THESE RETOUCHED PHOTOS OF THERE CHILDREN ON THE INTERNET FOR YOU TO CRITISIZE AND TALK ABOUT HOW CREPPY THEY ARE? NO.HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT ALL THOSE MAGEZINES YOU PICK UP AND BUY AT THE GROCERY STORE? I BET YOU DIDNT KNOW THAT ALL THE GORGEOUS MODLES AND ACTORS/ACRESSES ARE ALL RETOUCHED AND INHANCED THE SAME WAY THESE CHILDREN ARE.AND WHEN THEY RETOUCH THESE PHOTOS THEY ARE DOING IT FOR A REASON AND THAT REASON IS BEAUTY PAGEANTS THAT THEY ARE IN.THE PAGEANTS REQUIRE EVERY CHILD TO HAVE A PICTURE LIKE THAT OR THE CHANCES OF THAT CHILD WINNING ARE SLIM TO NONE.IN THESE BEAUTY PAGEANTS THE CHILDREN WIN TRUST FUND MONEY THAT GOES TOWARDS COLLEGE AND THEY WIN SCHOLAR SHIPS ALSO.IF IT WERENT FOR THESE RETOUCHED DOLL LOOKING PHOTOS , THESE CHILDREN MIGHT NEVER GO TO COLLEGE.BASICALLY MY POINT IS THAT ITS THE PARENTS DECISION TO DO THIS WITH THERE CHILDRENS PHOTOS NOT YOURS.

22. by Anonymous

On March 1, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Your caps-lock seems to be broken, Anonimus.
    Also: Please learn to spell.
    PS – I don’t pick up magazines at the grocery store.

23. by Anonymous

On March 1, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Sorry, “magezines”

24. by Lyndsay

On March 9, 2008 at 9:23 pm

This is for a pageant, they retouch the photos and this is what is entered for the pageant to win the “photogenic” title.

25. by Liv

On March 10, 2008 at 11:31 am

I get it that this is a pageant thing … but still, I just feel like it’s so strange that this could be entered into a pageant because it’s so scarily NOT a real-looking child. The end result has nothing to do with the child herself and nothing to do with whether or not she’s photogenic!

26. by apageantmom

On January 10, 2009 at 12:21 am

I am a pageant mom and that looks like the work of JC designs, one of the worst retouchers out there. I agree, that is a bad retouching job. If you want to see quality work try visiting thephotoenhancer.com. As for it being a lesson that “you are not good enough” that is wrong. My daughter knows that she does not appear the same in the picture and that these are just for competition purposes. The info quoted in an earlier post was wrong that pageants are asking for natural photos is wrong, glitz always wins. My daughter loves her glitz pictures and loves to show them off. The comment about kidnapped ect… is barely worth mentioning as it is based in no fact. The kind of judgemental drivel i have seen in this thread brings to mind the type of people that dont want scores kept at childrens sporting events because they are afraid of the trauma of losing for their dear precious little one. HOGWASH! Get a grip, there is a natural pecking order in life , there are winners and there are losers, there are people that get passed over for promotions at work and kids that dont get chosen for the team. pageants are no different. The competitive standard is something that we all have to live with every day from the time we first go to the playground and jockey for the last available swing. Most of the kids that compete in pageants from about age five and up get it. People often ask me if my daughter does modeling or acting or commercials and I let my daughter repy to that herself and she says “no, pageants are my sport and my hobby is collecting Harry Potter trading cards,and I want to be an environmental scientist for NASA when I grow up”. My daughter is 10 , she has 24 crowns and is extremely proud of herself. When she loses she wants to work harder to win the next time. The hobby is not for every kid , I agree, I believe that call is up to the parent to decide if the child is suited to a competitive environment that requires practice, preperation and performance and there are several factors to weigh when deciding this. What is the child’s personality?, How patient is the child? Does the child want to try this type of competition? What is the child’s reaction to not winning? What is the parents reaction to the child not winning? Can the child be analytical twoards their own performance and tell you why they won or did not? The proper answer to such a question would be something along the lines of “I made mistakes on my beauty walk I need to practice some more” or “I just wasn’t having a good day” .You seem to also be under the impression that what other folks do is your business, and again you would be wrong.