Looks Like I Made It

143129961_6636874602_m My 6-year-old niece just lost her first tooth last week and my mom decided to get her a diary as a gift “from the Tooth Fairy.” The sales lady scrunched her face in disapproval of my mom’s gift choice, risking losing a tooth or two herself. (My mom has got a mean right hook.) But what Ms. Snooty Saleswoman didn’t know is that my niece has been diary obsessed since her friend gave her a used one from a garage sale recently. My mom simply thought that my niece should have her very own, and the loss of the tooth provided a convenient occassion.

Now, at barely 6, my niece can pretty much write her name and maybe one or two other small words. But she dictates to my sister-in-law, who dutifully takes down what cartoon she liked that day, what time she went to bed, how many times my nephew bothered her, what her favorite animal of the minute is, and other important life-changing events in my her ever so adorable 6-year-old life.

This weekend, I got to thinking about the diaries that I kept as a kid. Depending on how you look at it, I was either very, very smart (possibly) or totally over-the-top neurotic (yup, more likely) because I never EVER wrote any secrets or potentially embarrassing things in there. Totally defeating the purpose of HAVING a diary, I know, but my innermost thoughts never got past my internal standards and practices committee. Even though my diary had a lock on it, I just knew my brother would steal it and read about how I’d just choreographed a dance (complete with costume and lighting ideas) to Barry Manilow’s “Daybreak” or something. Not that I … uhm … ever did that. Okay. So what if I did? Maybe I was a kiddie Fanilow. Well, laugh all you want, cause I was a smart Fanilow. Up until two minutes ago, at least, when I decided to go public and Manil-out myself.

So did anyone else ever self-edit their diary as a kid? If so, what would be one of the most embarrassing secrets you would’ve penned as a child … but you didn’t? And if you didn’t self censor, did anyone write something sacred only to have it exposed to the whole world by a snooping sibling or parent? Now’s the time to come clean, people. Don’t you all dare hold back on me. We’re Goody family, so there should be no secrets among us. Let’s have ‘em!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | Categories: Uncategorized

1. by Cathy

On June 26, 2007 at 12:02 am

Yes & no. I *thought* about leaving stuff out (and I did sometimes) but most of the stuff made it in – I had to get it out somewhere! And a lack of siblings probably helped ;)

2. by Amanda

On June 26, 2007 at 9:35 am

Yeah I totally left stuff out, ever since I got burned by writing something about my 6th grade crush (wow, did I really have a crush in 6th grade?) and the whole school found out. Trauma. :)

3. by laura_s

On June 26, 2007 at 10:55 am

I used to LIE in my diary when I was younger. I read my first grade diary recently and I had fabricated a story about finding a bald eagle in my yard claiming that I rescued and returned it to the zoo. I had quite an imagination.

4. by Tracey

On June 26, 2007 at 1:52 pm

Heck yeah, I hid any and all personal info just in case my younger sister read it! And, I ended up being a writer–with a very boring personal diary!!!

5. by Ron

On June 26, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Glad to know that I’m not the only one who stressed about my deep, dark, hidden truths being read. But no one else is fessing up to any! I reveal a pint-size obsession with the man(ilow) who writes the songs of love and special things, and I get no confessions in return? I feel cheated. ; )

6. by Amanda

On June 26, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Laura I’m literally laughing out loud. Awesome.

7. by Ron

On June 26, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Yes, Bindi Irwin’s got nothin’ on you!

8. by John J. O'Sullivan

On June 26, 2007 at 9:29 pm

I actually burnt all my Preteen/Teenage Angst Writings when I was in college to wipe them from any future documentary writers. And when I recall some of the awful poetry I wrote…thank God for Extreme Self-editing.
    -j

9. by Sally

On June 27, 2007 at 10:20 am

I was about nine years old, I’d just seen the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and I was obsessed with the word scrumptious….anyway I got my first diary and just about my first entry was “pancakes for tea, scrumptious”…..my sister got hold of it and started calling me Sally Scrumptious. I was mortified.