Why-M-C-A?

148332611_cdb9b2c58f_m_1 As a wee little lad, my family had some real interesting nicknames for me. My dad usually called me Skipper, Bugger, or, my personal favorite, Butch. (I kid you not.) My brother? Well, he called me Cowboy Ronald (due to my early love of country music and penchant for western wear). Picture it: Bloomfield, N.J., circa 1979. I’d be out with my family at, say, the local roller rink, and they’d call me one of these nicknames from clear across the room. Cut to everybody turning around, totally expecting to see one of the Village People. Considering the heinous fashions I was dressed in during that decade, what they actually saw was something closer to a village idiot. But I digress …

As goofy as they were, those nicknames have stuck with me throughout my adulthood and I’ve grown quite fond of them. My brother, for some strange reason, still calls me Cowboy Ronald. Granted, I still listen to country music and wear cowboy hats. Old habits die hard, you know.

So what are some of your favorite nicknames for your kids? Are they gonna hate you when they grow up? Or wistfully smile as they write sentimental blog entries about them? Or even better yet: What’s the funniest/wackiest nickname your family called you when you were just a little tater tot? C’mon. Don’t be shy. Post ‘em up here so we can all have a giggle.

Okay. I have to go. These chaps are killing me. But y’all come back now, ya hear?

Tags: , , , , | Categories: Time for Fun

1. by Amanda

On February 27, 2007 at 4:35 pm

hilarious! You know we’re all going to call you Cowboy Ronald from now on, right?
    As for me, my nickname is so not fun. AJ (for Amanda Jean) was about as exciting as it got.

2. by anonymous_for_a_reason

On February 27, 2007 at 4:53 pm

i used to get called “smelly” and “bigfoot” by my loving family. don’t ask.

3. by Sister Sue

On February 27, 2007 at 7:56 pm

Well, I never had any good nicknames as a kid. Susie-Q was about as exciting as it got, but I do have a few for my own kids. I call my son, now almost 11, Booby or Boober. Sometimes, if his friends are within earshot, he feigns complete embarrassment and looks totally mortified. Then I feel bad, but it’s a hard habit to break! Maybe I’ll switch it to “Toots”!

4. by SpecialJ

On February 28, 2007 at 3:52 pm

I don’t remember any from when I was very little, but my dad has been calling me “Toonces” (after Toonces the Driving Cat, the Saturday Night Live sketch) since high school. Uhhh, that’s because I crashed his car shortly after I got my driver’s license. Oops.

5. by Robyn

On April 12, 2007 at 2:37 pm

I’ve been calling my daughter who is 3, Chimp since she was in the womb, I’ve also called her Hooter since infancy as well. This has turned into Hootie, and HooterChimp. I love it and so does she, (really)! My 5 month old is BubbleRanch and LemonHead.When she was a newborn I called her SuperSmurf, and Wonderbread. She also gets a kick out of her nicknames. I love giving special names to my kids. We are addicted to it in this house.

6. by Jan

On April 15, 2007 at 12:35 pm

I call my two boys “Butter”, “Peanut Butter”, “Buttercup”. Don’t really know why, but I do.

7. by Audrey

On August 31, 2007 at 11:09 pm

Well, I am pretty sure this is a common nickname, but when I was a little girl my daddy called me “peanut”. Now, I don’t know how other kids got the nickname, but the irony in my case is that I am actually allergic to peanuts.

8. by Audrey