Why I’m Sick Of Being Fat

Hey guys! Jill here. I want to introduce you to a good friend of mine who is going to be blogging for me every other week. I’m so excited for her to share her funny stories and sagas. She has an incredibly interesting life that you’ll get to know over time. But right now, she is working on losing the baby weight and is looking for suggestions. Here’s…Cynthia!

Cynthia Roelle, mom to a 2-year-old daughter and award-winning photographer, shares her saga to lose the “baby weight” and reunite with her formerly slender self.

If my friend Jill can blog about her embarrassing pregnancy problem, taking antidepressants while pregnant, losing her mom and her rather gruesome labor story, then surely I can be candid too. So here’s my confession:

My ass is fat.

Okay, so it’s not quite on par with Jill’s divulgences. It’s hardly private; anyone can see I have a fat ass. But still, it’s hard to admit.

After my daughter was born people would tell me how good I looked for just having had a baby. Truth be told, they were right. I didn’t gain a ton during my pregnancy and I’m tall (5’8”) so the extra pounds were easy to hide. In maternity clothes.

Unfortunately, I’m past the point where it’s socially acceptable to wear maternity clothes. For one thing, I’m not pregnant and for another, my baby turned two in July.

That leaves me with exactly two things in my closet I can squeeze my fat ass into. Both are post-pregnancy purchases. Both are pretty worn. And both are getting tighter by the day. Therein lies the rub:

I refuse to buy any more fat clothes. I am not that person. Besides, I have a closet full of beautiful clothes. They just don’t fit. Too bad they’ll be hopelessly out of fashion when my fat no longer bulges the buttons and strains the seams. But that’s a problem for another day.

Right now I’m sick of using my daughter as an excuse for not exercising, I’m sick of looking like a dumpy hausfrau and I’m sick of having a closet full of clothes I can’t wear. Bottom line: I’m sick of being fat.

Just how fat are we talking? Here’s a visual: I’m about two 10-pound bags of sugar, one 4-pound bag plus another 1-pound box of sugar over my goal weight. In case you weren’t adding, that’s 25 pounds. On my ass. Sugar buns, it is not.

I may not have the brass pair that Jill has but there it is. My ass is fat and I’m sick of it, but I have a plan. (A butt plan, if you will.) One pound per week for 25 weeks, sooner if all goes well. If Jill will indulge me, I’ll check in with updates on my progress. And when it’s all said and done, I’ll even let you know how I did it.

In the meantime, I want to hear from you if you’ve ever used your child as an excuse for being fat!

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by Linda Ashcraft

On October 24, 2012 at 9:46 am

My children are both adopted, but yes, they are the reason I’m WAY overweight! How can I cook food that kids like, and not eat it, too? My husband cycles, but how can I get out and exercise when someone has to stay home with the kids? I actually did better when my first daughter was small and I could dance to the Wiggles with her. My second daughter was adopted at almost 5, so I missed out on that stage with her. Now if I freestyle dance, they tell me how stupid I look. But I finally decided enough is enough, and I loaded Myfitnesspal on my iPad, have been counting calories for 3 weeks and lost 8 pounds! I just bought a Fitbit activity tracker, and that is helping me get more active. (I’m kind of competitive!) Good luck!

2. by Veronica

On October 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Yup, I just used it a few days ago. And later I thought wait my daughter is 2 1/2, she will be 3 in February. This excuse is no longer working. I need to lose it!!! Linda – I am going to try the myfitnesspal!

3. by Cathy

On October 24, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Well said. You definitely brought a smile to my face as I was reading. I now have the weight to lose from 2 kiddos…I was nearly back to pre-pregnancy weight before getting pregnant again. Heres to hoping it doesn’t take a full year again!

4. by Amy

On October 25, 2012 at 4:09 am

Hey Fat Ass… Don’t feel too bad. I still use that excuse and my son is 33! I have a couple of suggestions for you… move to a farm and chase chickens all day. Or become an antique dealer and schlepp furniture all over. If neither is practical for you, I suggest a couple of zumba tapes. You can do them in the privacy of your own home.
    No babysitter required. Just ignore the ridicule…. it will pass once you have your smooth moves back. Love you.

5. by Carrie

On October 25, 2012 at 6:54 am

My goal is to lose a pound a week, too. Having been trying to achieve this goal for a few months now, I can honestly say it’s harder than it sounds. I have an 8 month old and have about 20 pounds to lose (after only gaining 30 during my pregnancy. so unfair!). Ironically, I’ve never lived a more healthy lifestyle. I don’t drink soda anymore, I’ve cut out nearly all snacking and I walk about 3 miles most every days. I’m fairly certain it’s the take out dinners that’s killing my diet plans. It’s such an easy option to reach for once the baby is finally asleep. I guess it’s yet another delicious thing that I’ll give up in the quest to recover a little bit of the old me. Good luck! I’ll be rooting for you.

6. by adrienne

On October 25, 2012 at 9:26 am

At some point, most moms probably feel some discomfort about their weight and body changes. It’s easy for us to be sympathetic with your concerns.

Phrases like “dumpy hausfrau” are pretty emotionally loaded and can alienate moms who don’t have paid employment outside the home. Could we work more toward inspiration?

Good luck with your weight loss. I’ve had quite a bit of success through simple calorie/fat intake counting through myfitnesspal.com with the help of some encouraging (and commiserating) mom friends.

7. by Kim

On October 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Oh heck yes. My daughter had downs and respiratory Problems. When she was 18 months she got a little brother and their care left me mentally and emotionally shot most days. But, they also drove to take walks outside for my sanity. My husband saw how much better I was dealing with the stress and sent me out to by a double jogging stroller and The kids LOVE the walks. I haven`t lost an ounce but 2 pants sizes is a huge bonus.

8. by Jodie

On October 29, 2012 at 7:28 am

I blame the boys for the dark circles, wrinkles, grey hair, and the general haggardness that comes from too many sleepless nights…why not blame them for my belly pouch and sizable backside as well?!

9. [...] 5 is the Fat-Ass pile. It consists of the two pair of threadbare jeans I’ve been wearing since my daughter was [...]