Why Vacationing With a Mom is Easier

I loved my mom-cation. I am not sure if the official definition means vacation without your kids, but I did the opposite. Fia, Emmett, Courtney, Teddy, and I loaded up and went on a short trip to San Diego for two nights last week. I did it because my nanny was off, and I was scared of getting bored and antsy in our 100-degree non-air conditioned house.

I wrote a blog about it and my favorite tweet back was from @MothaKim, who totally understood. She said,  ”I preferred our 15hr road trip to Chicago over 2hrs spent at the mall with them.”

I SO get it.

I realized a few things on this getaway. With another mom there, even though she was taking care of her own, it felt easier than if a spouse had been with us. That’s because moms just seem to “get it” more. The schlepping didn’t bother us. In fact, we double-schlepped. The hotel we stayed at the first night was full so we had to move to another one for the second night. Instead of griping, we embraced it. It allowed us to see two different properties and assess whether we’d go back. (Answer: Paradise Point: yes–for the pool and the accommodations. Beach was full of pine needles. The Catamaran: probably not. Rooms old. But bay front convenience and beach were far nicer).

I think with a spouse, it would have felt like more work. Or you could easily get resentful. Probably both. Why am I doing all the packing? Phil, did you remember the sippy cup? Answer: NO. Cue eye rolling and storming off to “do it right.” You know, the typical martyr behavior that is oh-so-easy to get sucked into.

The other thing I realized was slightly more profound. I don’t think I need full-time help.

We got home on Saturday. Turns out, my nanny had to take off more days this week. I didn’t have an escape plan. So I just decided to Mom-Up. (Cassandra is beaming at my progress.)

I had to return a rental car, get my car out of the shop (20 miles away), get a tire fixed, get Fia to swimming then gymnastics…taking Emmett along for the ride…all before noon on Monday. And guess what? I did it just fine. With both kids. Okay okay, it’s not like I haven’t done stuff like this before. But honestly, with a nanny, I often do the mundane, annoying errands on my own. Yes, it’s easier. Plus, I don’t like to drive my kids on the highway when it’s unnecessary (driving in LA still makes me nervous at times.) But the thing is, at the end of the da,y I felt far more accomplished than I have in a long time. Almost proud of myself. Oh, I also had 2 families over for dinner (yes, Courtney and Teddy were there. Told you we were inseparable).

I wrote a blog recently about how tragedy struck a family member. I had to leave the kids for a funeral. I was worried that the household would fall apart without me. It didn’t. Now, the tables are turned. I was worried about not being capable of doing it on my own. Or at least getting super stressed out. And guess what? I did fine.

Emmett is eight months now. Fia will be 3 in December. I think it’s time to take the reigns on my own more. Mom-Up! Here I come.

Fia is having the time of her life. Rules went out the window. Clearly.

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by Jenn Lee

On October 8, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Man, I wish I had a two year old so I could mom-cation with you all! You are such a great mom. Some day maybe you’ll believe it.

2. by mike

On October 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm

That is a robust matter to put in writing about. I never even have considerably concept about it. Thanks for sharing

3. by get more pinterest followers

On October 23, 2012 at 11:23 pm

The Pontiac appears to generally be a low option car no a/c, manual windows, no tilt, no cruise and a AM only radio. Things like this employed to be oh-so common but rarely found today.

4. by Free Shemale WebCams

On November 25, 2012 at 5:15 am

This site doesn’t render properly on my iphone 4 – you may want to try and fix that

5. by live mature cams

On December 4, 2012 at 10:53 pm

hello i discovered your post and thought it was very informational likewise i suggest this web site about repairing lap tops Click Here

6. by Jamee Ahlgren

On December 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I’ve and been wondering about the obtain same entity personally in recent times. Delighted to see somebody by the consistent wavelength! Fine article.

7. by how to install a fence

On December 10, 2012 at 11:29 am

With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of unique content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any ways to help reduce content from being stolen? I’d really appreciate it.

8. by cheapindianhair

On December 11, 2012 at 1:44 am

Your writer has a very interesting way of posing differential views and making them coincide with the overall viewpoint of the subject http://www.photoblog.com/wegnegs

9. by weblink

On December 12, 2012 at 12:26 am

Mr. Elliott,
    Letters via USPS sounds so novel in the internet age even if it is an individual letter produced for many, but it really doesn’t sound like a pen-pal relationship. Can one write back on the author with the letter?

10. by coupons

On December 27, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I am really thankful to the holder of this site who has shared this wonderful piece of writing at at this place.|

11. by ESPECIALLYHOSTING

On January 1, 2013 at 7:55 pm

thank you for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting information. “The secret of happiness is to admire without desiring. And that is not happiness.” by F. H. Bradley.

12. by AHEALTHYLIST

On January 2, 2013 at 4:42 am

I like this weblog very much, Its a real nice place to read and find info . “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” by John Andrew Holmes.