(My) Milestone Monday: Is My Tech Addiction Making Me a Bad Mom?

Today I am partially unplugging for the week. My goal? To become more mindful and present. Here’s why:

My friend Teresa came over yesterday.  She  is pregnant and a vegetarian. I was ordering pizza. I needed a crucial answer. I texted her: can u pick the meat off or do I get veggie pizza? What kind of veggies?

She didn’t text back. I got a little indignant. I went ahead and ordered (one plain, one pepperoni). When she arrived I asked if she had seen my text. She said something that I’ve been floating through my increasingly scattered brain for a few days.

“I try and only check my phone every 2 hours. Especially when I’m with my son. It makes me feel like I’m not a good mom when I start responding and not focusing on him. I find that the more I check my phone, the more depressed I am at the end of the day because my mood is constantly shifting based on what comes in.”

What she said = gold in my book. And my brain. I kid you not: last week I had a headache for 3 days. I could tell it was from tension. Nothing made it go away. I honestly think it’s because I’m so scattered with a lack of schedule (read: Frustrated. Need to Vent) and feel pulled in a million directions that no amount of aspirin or Motrin will help. What will help is changing my behavior. Drastically.

Granted  I wrote last week about the beauty of social media. How I’m now a believer in it. But, that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t put limits on all this stuff.

On any given day, here is how my crazy goes:

Fia and I are playing. I check my phone. She frolics, I text or email someone back. Then I run into the kitchen. Open freezer. Remember someone else I was going to email about something. Write them. Freezer is still open. I pull out chicken to thaw. Fia shouts, “Mama, what are you doing?” I open a cabinet.  ”I’m coming baby.” I pull out a glass and fill it with water. I check the phone. Oops–respond to an email. Cabinet still open. I almost walk into it (two years ago I did and broke my nose. No sh-t). Glance out window. She isn’t maimed. I shoot a quick text to another friend. Reply to the email. Fia asks for me again. I walk outside with my phone.  Oops. Forgot water. Back inside. And on and on.

No wonder I don’t feel “present.” No wonder I have self doubt about my mom abilities. Or frankly any of my abilities.  It’s a CONSTANT yo-yo of emotions. Even as creatures of adaptation, our brains aren’t made for that.

My mom in her crass wisdom used the quote, “If you have one foot in tomorrow and one foot in yesterday, then you’re pissing on today.” I’m going to say that when I have one foot on my computer and one foot on my kids, I’m pissing on the present. I can’t straddle the worlds anymore. It’s a lose-lose situation, and one that apparently has consequences. A recent article in the New York Times says there is a thing called Facebook Depression. And that constant texting and emailing can cause mental illness. These include OCD behavior (me) and narcissism (probably me).

As my friend Teresa said, “Bottom line: this sh-t isn’t good for us.”

I find in moments when I am down on my knees, sans blackberry, playing with Fia, helping her poop, whatever, there is never stillness. Instead of absorbing everything about her and our moments (yes, even if it’s in a disgusting public bathroom), my mind spins. Crazy sentences begin. I literally have conversations with people, thinking about what I will text or email them–which then turns into an entirely different conversation that can range from my purpose in life to my next grocery trip. I am so tired of hearing myself.

TIME. TO. STOP. THE. F–KING. CHATTER.

Here’s what I’m doing: I am going to overhaul my life and really examine how I can schedule my week in a more seamless and sane fashion. Following Teresa’s lead, I will allot myself time to check my phone and time to put it away.  I will schedule chunks of time for my kids without the phone even in reach. I think this will reduce my mom guilt too. I’m going for quality over quantity.

Like I said, I’m giving this a week. Anyone else want to join me in this venture? I’ll report back on June 25th. If you want to do this too, post comments on this blog and I can share them in the follow-up post. And not to worry; I’ll read your comments during my allotted “work time.”

Lastly, if anyone has any suggestions on how to manage time and technology better, please share!

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by Courtney

On June 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I definitely have this problem, and I’m inspired by your experiment. I feel like the constant technological loop is messing with the way my brain works. Time to take back control!

2. by Sara Lang

On June 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I will begin by saying that perhaps I am simply rationalizing my own behavior, which is very similar to yours! I think the technology issue is just a symptom of the bigger problem of trying to juggle too many things at one time. I’m a SAHM and freelancer as well, and I am certainly guilty of “multi-tasking” to the point that I can’t get anything done. The phone and the ipad are lifesavers for me but they are also enabling devices that feed my own problems with managing time. I have dreams of simplifying, but can’t seem to find the time to get it done! Ahhhh, irony!

3. by Mary

On June 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I’ve never left a comment on any article before until now. You have just described me! I didnt know there was something called FB depression. I can’t seem to detach from my email, or social media. I always feel like I need to know what’s happening and by doing so I’m wasting precious time that I could be spending with my daughter. I’m going to try your experiment as well and see if my headaches and depression go away.

4. by Amy Audette

On June 18, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I will follow your lead. I have been thinking about doing something similar for a while. I needed to cut back on my texting/ e-mail/ fb/ internet during the day. Especially since it seems that my 7 yr old has been telling me to put the phone down a lot lately. It is so easy to get sucked in and lose 20 minutes of time. Thanks for the kick In the pants I needed to try it. My Plan is to check every 2 hours and only respond to urgent matters. I will give myself an hour after the kids and hubby are in bed to deal with the less pressing issues. Thanks!

5. by Sophie

On June 20, 2012 at 6:22 pm

This is so depressing, you just described me all over. I think it’s time to change.

6. by Cindy

On June 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm

A few months ago I noticed that the hubby and I had this same problem. We were constantly on our phones. We may not have been working, but we were checking facebook, pinning things on pintrest, playing games, etc. We were in the same room, but we were not together. Our daughter was playing 2 feet from us, but we were not soaking her in, or better yet, playing with her. So, I told him that it was a huge problem. We decided that we’d put our phones down when we came in the door each day. We’d talk to each other more and play in the floor with our daughter more. Facebook and Pinterest will still be there when there is a more appropriate time, but right now it is Family time. It’s helped a lot and it really hasn’t been painful at all. We sometimes forget, but I’m thinking about having a “phone basket” where we drop our phone when we come in the door so it’s out of the way.

7. by Jill Cordes

On June 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm

These are some great ideas you guys! I’m posting a follow up on Monday so make sure to check back in. I think we’re on to something!

8. [...] Home › Other › Is Tech Addiction Making Me a Bad Mom? [...]

9. by Esteban Keomuangtai

On August 2, 2012 at 11:39 pm

internet automotive sales jobs

10. by page one rankings

On October 5, 2012 at 1:41 am

I have got to say I really adore your space, the way you write is hilarious!

11. by Paula

On November 9, 2012 at 12:06 am

Better late than never right? I am SO happy I found this article. I am going to log off my facebook on my iphone and put it on the last app screen!This is me to a T and I have been telling my doctor that I am having emotional rollercoasters during the day and I couldnt seem to figure out why. Pretty sure I just did.

12. by registrazione domini

On November 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Hello.This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was investigating for thoughts on this subject last Thursday.

13. by how to make a website banner in photoshop cs5

On November 20, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Hiya, I am really glad I have found this information. Today bloggers publish only about gossips and internet and this is actually annoying. A good website with interesting content, this is what I need. Thanks for keeping this web-site, I’ll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Cant find it.

14. by website cms

On November 21, 2012 at 1:11 am

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

15. by negeso

On November 24, 2012 at 4:19 am

Hello.This post was really interesting, especially because I was searching for thoughts on this subject last couple of days.

16. by a great deal more tips here

On December 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Helpful info. Lucky me I discovered your website accidentally, and I am shocked why this accident didn’t came about in advance! I bookmarked it.

17. by click here

On December 5, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Its superb as your other blog posts : D, appreciate it for putting up. “The art of love … is largely the art of persistence.” by Albert Ellis.

18. by Find Out More

On December 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Neat blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your design. Cheers

19. by Glyconutrients

On December 20, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Thanks for your publish. I have usually seen that the majority of people are desirous to lose weight since they wish to appear slim plus attractive. On the other hand, they do not usually realize that there are additional benefits to losing weight also. Doctors declare that over weight people are afflicted by a variety of illnesses that can be instantly attributed to their own excess weight. The great news is that people who definitely are overweight as well as suffering from various diseases can help to eliminate the severity of their own illnesses by simply losing weight. You are able to see a constant but notable improvement in health as soon as even a slight amount of fat reduction is realized.

20. by decorators

On December 22, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a terrific website.|

21. by coupons

On December 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!|

22. by HLPGOLF

On January 1, 2013 at 3:25 am

I saw a lot of website but I conceive this one has got something extra in it. “Every good communist should know that political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.” by Mao Tse Tung.

23. by CELLULARBAZAR

On January 2, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Real fantastic information can be found on website .

24. by http://youtube.com/watch?v=xbL01vfSggg

On January 5, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Simply wish to say your article is as astounding. The clarity in your post is just excellent and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

25. by Suggested

On April 29, 2013 at 5:01 am

I am not rattling good with English but I come up this rattling easy to read.

26. by Continue

On April 29, 2013 at 8:59 am

You are my intake, I own few blogs and sometimes run out from to post.

27. by home-page

On May 1, 2013 at 1:01 am

I was looking at some of your content on this site and I conceive this website is rattling informative! Keep putting up.

28. [...] that’s my point:  In this day and age with app after app being developed, the assumption is we are looking for the easy way out. But the truth is, there isn’t one. Parenting puts you in the trenches no matter how much [...]

29. [...] behavior, don’t we?), but I did decide last week to unplug for a bit. I wrote about my plan (Is My Tech Addiction Making Me a Bad Mom?) and today is the [...]

30. [...] was born, the internet saved me. Now, it’s killing me. Lately I have been writing about how I decided to unplug and what I discovered in unplugging. In short, my mind isn’t constantly racing and I  feel [...]