Does It Take a Digital Village?

I now believe in twitter. And the power of social media. Doesn’t mean I like doing it. But I do think there is something to it.

Case in point: a few weeks ago, my editors at Parents sent me an article from the Wall Street Journal on Oversharenting. They asked if I wanted to blog about it. I did. I tweeted it out with a slew of other stuff. From that tweet, I began a “twitter conversation” (is that what you call it?) with a producer at KCBS. Next thing I know, he was asking if they could interview me for a story on Oversharenting. (click here to view.)

I connected with another woman on twitter by posting about Emmett’s reflux. She happens to be a nurse who works in pediatrics. She gave me some amazing information and now we email advice and updates.

I wrote a post about my angst over the alleged allegations of former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky. I went to Penn State and grew up in State College, so the story really hit home. (His trial is going on right now.) That landed me a segment on Fox LA.

I still don’t have that many followers, but it’s growing. I have a woman helping me navigate the waters and she’s great. She isn’t putting pressure on me, but what she does is point out articles I’m interested in. I’m a huge fan of Nicholas Kristof’s columns in the New York Times. He takes on the bravest of topics, often writing about the impoverished women and children of the world. She helps flag some for me to retweet to my small flock. You hope over time, you start to make a difference.

This all sounds like a big, gross blog on self-promotion. But it’s not. It really comes down to my resistance of trying something new.  Then, getting over that resistance, embracing it with baby steps, and seeing first hand results.

Does it mean I get a better spot in the universe? No. Do more followers mean I’m more important? No. But if the point of my career is to write, it’s nice to have readers, conversation and feedback. When Parents posts my blogs on their Facebook page, I get to see real-time responses. Two years ago I didn’t even have a Facebook page.

I am quickly realizing in the digital age, it takes a digital village.  The key is how to manage it. There is definitely an art to this, and it does take time. I’m not ready to let it rule my life, but I have seen it work.

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by Merideth Manspeaker

On August 2, 2012 at 10:16 pm

car sales jobs in los angeles ca

2. by resources

On October 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I am curious to find out what blog system you have been utilizing? I’m having some small security problems with my latest website and I’d like to find something more safe. Do you have any suggestions?

3. by Depatures

On November 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

4. by Meltairred

On December 9, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I hope you are planning to write more articles like this. I want to read more on your thoughts since they are much like mine.

5. by Christeen Towels

On December 16, 2012 at 3:48 am

Thanks representing the ideas you have discussed here. Additionally, I have faith in near are many factors that keep your car insurance policy premium decrease. Lone is, to assume addicted to account import autos that are in the sunny directory of car insurance providers. Cars which are pricey are customarily additional at risk of being forlorn. To the right as of that insurance policies are too in silhouette with the value of your automobile, hence the costlier it is, at that moment the privileged a premium you only pay.

6. by lingerie discount

On December 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Just want to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your publish is just spectacular and that i can think you are knowledgeable on this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to clutch your feed to keep up to date with drawing close post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please carry on the gratifying work.

7. by ysua school

On December 23, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I believe this internet site has some rattling fantastic information for everyone :D . “When you get a thing the way you want it, leave it alone.” by Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill.

8. by coupons

On December 27, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Thank you, I have recently been searching for info approximately this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I’ve found out so far. But, what concerning the bottom line? Are you positive about the supply?|

9. by Lorette Kwiecinski

On December 31, 2012 at 11:38 am

I truly love your site.. Very nice colors & theme. Did you develop this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I’m looking to create my own personal site and would like to find out where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Cheers!

10. by asuransi

On January 7, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Yay google is my queen assisted me to find this outstanding website ! . “Every man dies. Not every man lives.” by Tim Robbins.

11. [...] Facebook did little for the moms? Here’s what I think: Social media, for all its good, is a time-suck. I know it doesn’t leave me feeling content. Blogging, on the other hand, is writing. When I [...]