Diaper Rash War: Miracle Paste?

My Miracle Paste

Battle lines are drawn–with white creams. Instead of a bulletproof vest, I wear a pee-proof one. Yes, I’m in combat against Emmett’s diaper rash and I’m determined to win.  And I think I am—at least right now. But just like war, I know it can change by the minute/hour. For 3 days we’ve been holding our ground.

All your comments were super helpful. Thank you so much. Now to update  you guys.

Even though I had such angst at the last pediatrician visit, I took his advice and ordered the stomahesive powder and pure zinc oxide from the pharmacist.  I also got a tube of miconazole, which is an antifungal cream for yeast infections.  I had been using Lotrimin (athlete’s foot). The pharmacist told me to switch to the miconazole (and that may be the key to all this, not sure).

I mixed together:

1 part miconazole

4 parts pure zinc oxide

Stomahesive powder until it made a sticky paste (honestly, unless there is something special about the powder I think cornstarch would do the same).

Every diaper change I dab the area where the poop is (I don’t rub) with damp Viva paper towels. Then I put the paste on, followed by a huge dollop of Aquafor.

This is what Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles uses and they swear by it. I think I may too.

I’m using Seventh Generation Diapers so no chemicals.

We’ve been airing him out for about 40 minutes at a time, twice a day.

Here’s the other half of the equation that some of you swore by (@Amanda, @Mariane):

I have cut down quite a bit on my dairy intake. I put rice milk in my cereal and just a small amount of 2% milk in my coffee. A little cheese on my salad. That’s about it from the cow.

I don’t know what is making the difference. Maybe both the concoction and my diet??? But I am happy to report his bum looks so much better.

Consequently, our good friend who is an ER doctor (and helped counsel us on our circumcision decision) has said all along to use pure zinc oxide. People swear by Triple Paste and Desitin, but those are weaker in the zinc amount. And some of this stuff, like Desitin, has a fragrance, which the pediatrician said could make it worse.

I also don’t think Em is pooping as much—which could be attributed to my modified dairy intake. Could also be that he’s 5 weeks old today and his gut is getting more mature. As we all know, it’s such a guessing game with infants, so I’m sticking to what seems to be working.  I’ll plead with my troops to keep up the fight. We will win this war!

QUICK UPDATE: THE F-CKING RASH IS BACK. I AM GOING TO SCREAM. IT LOOKS WORSE THAN EVER. LIKE I SAID, IT CAN CHANGE IN A SECOND…. BACK TO THE DOC….AGAIN.

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by Allison

On March 5, 2012 at 11:58 am

Try to find something with marshmellow mallow or marshmellow root in it. Worked wonders on both of my kids and my son in particular had a heck of a time with diaper rash.

2. by Laura

On March 5, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Along with a yeast infection prescription, our doc had us use a mixture of liquid Maloxx and Aquaphor to reduce the redness. That is now our go-to mixture.

3. by KarmenItscoldherein

On March 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Huggies supreme and Vaseline. Again. Good luck. Again.

4. by Sarah Richied

On March 6, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Here is my “Miracle Butt Paste” Recipe provided by my Ped.

1 tube of Desitin (original)
    1 tube of Bacitracin ointment
    1-3 Tablespoons of Mylanta

I squeeze both tubes into a Ziploc container and add the Mylanta until it is a nice consistency. Put it on a dry bottom and the rash will disappear sooner rather than later. It’s the only thing we use here now.

Mix it. Apply it. Love it. Good luck.

5. by kayla

On March 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm

triple paste works no matter what! i see some moms using more then one product and with triple paste you dont have 2! Its not hard to see triple past works the company even backs their product so i would try it worked on my son never had problems..

6. by kayla

On March 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Actually they have triple paste af its a anti-fungal your baby sounds like they may have some bacteria affecting him this will work its triple paste mixed with antifungal .it works!

7. by Tom Nolan

On May 14, 2012 at 8:51 am

Sounds like a great product. Another product that may be just as effective and slightly easier to is a new diaper rash product called Bum Ease its a spray-able Zinc Oxide diaper care product. Many moms have found it easy to use and effective just an easy spray on and its nearly 100% natural. Since it is a spray there is no further irritation when applying. As always consult a doctor if the problem persist. Good Luck! Hope your rashes are cleared soon!

Find it on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bum-Ease/245155918843355