Emmett Update

He Sleeps With Arms Up

Emmett will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. Hard to believe. Here’s a quick update:

His eyes are in the clear, but his butt isn’t. His diaper rash has turned into a bacterial infection. I feel like I’ve been living at the pediatrician’s office. After we left the hospital, I had to go back three times for weigh-ins. Then, on the last weigh-in, he had the eye infection. Which led to the follow up today which led to the bacterial diagnosis.

I had been watching his diaper rash like a hawk. And had brought in the big guns: Desitin, A & D, and cornstarch. To no avail. I’m relived actually that I’ve had all these checkups, since I’m not sure I would have recognized the bacterial thing.

So now I have a prescription antibiotic ointment to put on his tush. Hope it clears soon.

I continue to get peed on, almost daily. One reader gave me a tip, and it works some of the time. But a lot of times, he doesn’t pee until well into the diaper change. I try and keep a paper towel over him, but he is such a wiggle worm.

Here’s another thing: no longer are baby wipes allowed with newborns. The docs say that even the unscented ones have chemicals they don’t want. So Viva paper towels, moistened with water, are the new trend. Not sure if this is just an LA/West Coast thing or if everyone is doing this now. I was never told this with Fia. Wipes were fine. I wonder if Viva is somehow sponsoring the doctors? The doctors claim that they are the softest. Anyone else out here getting these same instructions?

Oh–and today is Valentine’s Day. My hubby and I are going on our first date night since Em’s arrival. We didn’t even realize it was V-day until after we booked the nanny. But happy heart day everyone. Em is wearing red to show the love.

He Always Has Frog Legs. Too cute.

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by Kate

On February 14, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Pretty sure that is just an LA thing, unless it is related to the diaper rash. Seems like a pain to me. Good luck with the rash! He’s absolutely beautiful by the way, congrats!

2. by Heather

On February 15, 2012 at 9:30 am

Jill, the last time Mason had a really bad diaper rash the doctor told us to switch to Triple Paste–stuff has been amazing and no awful rashes since! She also said to put a little bit of over-the-counter antibacterial cream on it to keep it from becoming infected. Hope that helps!

3. by Cindy

On February 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Awww! He looks like he should be rowing a gondola in Venice!

White House Black Shutters has a “recipe” for easy homemade baby wipes. I agree with the author, Bounty work best. But are paper towels chemical-free? Is anything?

4. by Deborah

On February 20, 2012 at 11:12 am

So been there with the diaper rash. Only thing that worked was Boudreaux’s Butt Paste. Another thing that helps with diaper rash is using a combination of water and baby oil to wipe. Hope this helps.

5. by Cheryl

On February 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm

We were wipe free for a while when my daughter was born two years ago…but we started with wipes after a few weeks.

6. by Hulda

On February 22, 2012 at 4:12 pm

In my neck of the woods the nurses recommend damp (water only) medical gauzes for the first weeks/months. Works absolutely fine on that milk-fed poo.

7. by Allison

On February 23, 2012 at 11:33 am

My son was prone to some very bad diaper rashes – non of which turned bacterial, however all of which were impossible to get rid of. Then on a weekend trip into the States, I happened to glance at a shelf of baby creams and find a cream I hadn’t tried before. I thought, why not? What have we got to lose at this point? I used the cream on him twice before bedtime and by the morning that stubborn diaper rash was gone – completely! I went out and bought as much as I could and used that as my only diaper cream from then on and we had very few diaper rashes from then on.

I have been unable to locate that cream for about a year now but the main ingredient was marshmellow. I have now switched to other creams / lotions that use as their main ingredient marshmellow fluff or root and this seems to be best at conquering my daughter’s diaper rashes as it was for my son.

Good luck.