Tubes Tied–or Not?

Full disclosure: I’m 42.

Full Disclosure: I sneeze and get pregnant.

THUS:

Full disclosure: After Little Leroy gets plucked out, I am done having babies.

Since I’m having a C-Section, I brought up tubal ligation (getting my tubes tied) to my OB/GYN. He said it takes 90 extra seconds to snip the tubes. It’s the logical time to do it. You have no hormonal side effects. And I wouldn’t’ have to worry about the pill or IUD (done both) ever again.

I filled out the paperwork and signed it, just so they have it on record. But for reasons unknown, I’m hesitant. Not sure why.

For someone who, up until 39, never wanted kids (thank god I saw the light. I seriously can’t imagine not having them now), I don’t know why I wouldn’t jump at this. Baby #2 wasn’t planned (I sneezed), and while I’m really excited for him to come and for Fia to have a sibling, there is no way I’m doing this again. Not at this age. Though even if I were 24 I think I’d stop at 2 kids.

So what’s up with my slight reluctance? Is it because it is so permanent? Or is it the small hippy part of me that thinks I’m giving up some sort of womanpower? I also think about that Jodi Piccoult book, My Sister’s Keeper, where the parents had another child so that they could use her blood to help her sister battle cancer. That’s morbid and not a reason to have another baby. Plus, we are doing the cord blood banking. Did with Fia too.

I don’t know. Anyone want to take a stab at this? Is it just an emotional decision in general? Who has done this? If Phil were getting snipped I wouldn’t think twice, by the way.

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by Marina

On January 24, 2012 at 8:11 am

Hi I am turning 32, and definately having a BTL. I have 2 kids, gal and boy, and I thought I had it all balanced out and wouldnt want more then boom, found that I was expecting AGAIN, I have no second thots, I am having a BTL after this!

2. by Berit Thorkelson

On January 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Hmmm. Probably just the finality? You thought you’d have one, and now you’re excited to be having two, so… you know. Go with your gut. I’d be in the same boat if I knew I was having a c-section, BTW.

3. by Christina Shannon

On January 24, 2012 at 9:47 pm

As a mother that has had a tubal. Don’t do it! I know everyone’s body is different but since I had mine five years ago I have been having nothing but issues with my body things that I never would have associated with having a tubal. Please research Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome and then have your husband get a vasectomy it is far less invasive for him an none of the other side affects.

4. by Dena

On January 24, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I had my tubes tied after my 3rd c-section. We have 3 boys and I’m 36. I thought I’d feel sad, especially since I didn’t get one to dress in pink, but instead, I can’t wait to get rid of all the infant crap! I am enjoying my 3rd, who is 4 months now. I LOVE the infant stage, but it is a lot of work and I will be happy when they can all get some cereal and I can sleep in a bit on a Saturday! Actually, if I had it my way, my doc would have taken my uterus. Why deal with a period every month if you’re not going to have anymore? Just my own personal opinion. My doc wouldn’t, of course. Could have saved quite a bit on panty liners and tampons!!

5. by betsy

On January 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I did it. i am 41 with a 4 and 2 yr old. No regrets, but it is a personal choice.

6. by Wendy Simmons

On January 24, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I had it done almost 6 years ago immediately after my third child was born via c-section. I am SO glad I did!

7. by Alyson

On January 24, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I am 33 mother of 3 had 3 c-sections, I decided on the 3rd to get my tubes tide. Best decision I made, makes it refreshing to know that I won’t get pregnant, I’m the same way I sneeze poof a baby.. Lol. And as far as the whole My Sisters Keeper thing there is always IVF.. Well whatever decision you make good luck with everything!

8. by Savannah Wolvington

On January 24, 2012 at 9:50 pm

It really is hard to make the decision. I am very young with 3 kids and when i got pregnant with my 3rd i knew it was the last one i wanted but i was scared cause i thought if i had my tubes tied i would never have the option to have a baby again and being as young [23] as i am i didnt know if i was ready to make that decision for my body but i had it done anyhow and i couldn’t be more happy knowing all my love goes to my 3 baby girls! best decision ever!

9. by Wendy Simmons

On January 24, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I had it done almost 6 years ago immediately after my third child was born via c-section. I am SO glad!

10. by Jen

On January 24, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I had my tubes tied after my second, but my hubby got snipped too (I know 3 people that got pregnant after a tubal). I have a blood clotting disorder, so being pregnant is no walk in the park for me. In fact, it’s very dangerous. We figured, with a healthy boy and a healthy girl, why tempt fate to have another. What good am I to my kids if I die trying to have another. Hubby and I were both 100% about these decisions, but this decision really has to come from both of you.

11. by Aly

On January 24, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I think it is normal to have those feelings. I have 2 children and had horrible pregnancies and deliveries. I had my tubal during my last delivery (c-section). There is a finality to it but one thing to remember is that if you did chose to have another baby at some point you could…it would just have to be by IUI or something of the sort. So, while it does feel permanent there is a way! :-)

12. by Misty

On January 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I had a tubal during my second C-section (which was my 5th pregnancy, but only second child). I was 34, had three miscarriages, and lots of health problems. I had doubts. I had depression for a short time after the procedure. What if I wanted a third? What if my husband left me and had another child with someone else? I wanted him to have the snip too I decided! Well, I think it was just the baby blues! I got over it. I have two children. That is what I always wanted. The tubal was the right thing for me. Two is a great number….you have two arms, ears, eyes…etc! It is the perfect pair. A tubal is as nice safe way to prevent pregnancy. If you really changed your mind, there is always adoption or IVF. There are choices! But, you need to make sure it is what you truly want! Best of luck!

13. by Amanda Joranger

On January 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I’ve done a lot of thinking (I’m 24, married and proud momma to a newly 2 year old) about this topic. After our next baby I’m getting mine tied. I’m content with 1 child, wouldn’t mind a second but knowing myself I wouldn’t be able to handle a third. I’ve tried BC pills and had nothing but problems. And if my husband and I were to ever seperate I wouldn’t want any more than 2 children reguardless. I did a lot of thinking about this.

14. by Christine

On January 24, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I feel it’s emotional. The feeling of something being so permanent. I’m 26 and had my 2nd by c-section. The asked me if I wanted my tubes tied and I wish I said yes. I said no due to them throwing the big question at me during an emergency c-section. I do know now that if they had asked me before, in the off chance of having a c-section I would of yes. Yet there is still a small part of me screaming “NO”. A fear I can’t shake. However I know the wiser decision would be to have it done, but as I am writing this I catch myself second guessing it. My husband is however deciding to get a vasectomy and having his sperm frozen. A little less permanent.

15. by Jodi Kilgore

On January 24, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I was 36 when I had my daughter and 38 when I had my son. Since my daughter was breech both were c-sections. I had my tubes tied after my son, I had planned it before my son was 6 weeks early. They later told me if I was to have another it would more than likely be premature also. Now that I know I’m done I sometimes have pangs of regret but it doesn’t last. BTW my mom guilt tripped my husband into getting “snipped” also. Good luck

16. by Christine Alvarado

On January 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm

After being very content with 2 beautiful children and absolutely no plans for a 3rd, I found out I was pregnant. The timing was off, we hadn’t planned it etc. Since I was having a c-section we discussed a tubal. There was a little bit of me that was thinking, “this is so final.”, but we were confident in our decision.
    My 2nd guessing didn’t show up until about a month ago. When my sister gave birth to her surprise 3rd! My surprise baby is now 11 months and here I am, thinking I would love to have another baby! In fact, I suddenly want a LOT more babies. My mom had 10, now that’s a bit much but I suddenly pictured myself happy with 5 or 6 kids.
    In reality, you could probably never convince me to have a 4th baby. It’s simply safe to have these wild dreams when there is no way it’s going to happen.
    And my husband and I DID discuss what would happen if we really got that urge for a 4th child. We would adopt a child in need. The fact is, just because my natural ability to get pregnant is gone, my natural maternal instincts are stronger than ever.

17. by aimee

On January 24, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I know exactly what your going through. I will be 26 in may and I am due with my 4th in july. Doctor told me 2 years ago that I would need a hysterectomy before I’m 30 due to fibroid tumors so I hurried for my last shot. I don’t want anymore, 4 is enough, but just the thought of “what-if?” Is giving me an uneasy feeling about the hysterecomy or the tubal. I’m so afraid I’m going to regret it or change my mind. And at that point its no turning back. Its the only thing I’ve ever been hood at and now its going yo be taken away in a sence doesmt seem fair. Good luck to you and your adventures! Hope you find the right answers

18. by Christine

On January 24, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I went with the tubal ligation because, like you, I fell very easily and I had had an unplanned pregnancy. Having another would have made it four which didn’t phase me, but I knew I’d find it very difficult to cope with more. To be honest we had decided to stop at two was because I felt those two deserved the best parenting I could give, undiluted. However our third proved to be rewarding in many ways and I never regretted having her.
    My advice to you is to keep your options open, keep up a healthy dialogue about it with your partner and also your medical professional. You can readdress it again at any time in the future. Don’t do anything unless you are confident you can live with. BTW there was a time when I could have had 20 babies because I loved being pregnant so much!

19. by Tammy

On January 24, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Hi, I have 5 kids with the youngest 2 being 13 months apart. I had a TL because I knew that there was absolutely not a chance that we could afford to have another. While I still get a weird feeling when someone I know gets pregnant or I attend a baby shower I know that we made the best decision for us!! Best of luck to you!

20. by liz

On January 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I got the surgery done after my second baby because I didn’t want to be on birth control all my life but my Dr did not give me all my options when I was prego and after I had her they pulled me in to surgery with out asking if I still wanted it done and now I want more kids as my youngest is ten and wants a baby but my husband keeps telling me no as it cost to much to get it undone and it could cause to much damage to my body if I have another as my Dr told me if I had another it could kill me and I have had to many issues since I got it done to the point I can’t do any thing with my husband with out pain anymore but the drs say it is just me and it started after my surgery.

21. by Karey

On January 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm

My husband got “snipped” this was his decision he said he felt better him getting taken care of rather than me for several reasons; #1 less risk to him and #2 the hospital that we like to go to will not do a tubal as they are a Catholic hospital. There isn’t a hospital around us that we feel comfortable for me to go under the knife for. My husband was uncomfortable for a few weeks, but he said in the end it wasn’t that bad and was glad he had it done rather than me.

22. by Callie

On January 24, 2012 at 10:13 pm

My husband and I have 4 kids (his, mine & we have 2 together). After the birth of our first son, I was set to have my tubes tied. We both knew that we didn’t want anymore, 3 was enough! The day of my scheduled surgery, we went to the hospital, they took me back to get me prep’d. Right before they were to take me back to surgery, my hubby was allowed to come back & see me for a few. As soon as he walked in the room, we both broke into tears! At the exact same time, we looked at each other & said “why are we here”??? Soooo, as soon as the doctor came, in between sobs, I told him that I just couldn’t do it! There is not a day that goes by that I don’t regret it. And yes, we had another baby! I can’t even imagine life without my lil guy!! BUT, now that we have 4, we decided that it was the most practical thing to do!

23. by Tara h

On January 24, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I got my tubes clipped a month after my third baby was born 2 and a half years ago. I didn’t plan on a third but we love her very much n wouldn’t trade her. The doctor wouldn’t cut and burn my tubes – the permanent method- because I was only 28 years old. If I decide to have another baby, all I would have to do is unclip them and I’d probably get pregnant in a month. It is the best decision I’ve made. The recovery is rough the first couple of days but u don’t have to worry about the pill or iud at all. Ask your doctor about clipping your tubes instead of cutting and burning them if unsure about it

24. by Dawn

On January 24, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I’m actually going through the same thing right now. I’m getting ready to have my 3rd baby, and 3rd c/s in a few weeks (plus I was cut for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy a few years prior). I’m only 31, but my husband is almost 40 and has 3 older kids (who all live with us), so technically this is #6. So, I asked him after our last one to get a vasecetomy for a year or so and he didn’t want to, blatantly refused actually and told me he never would. So, when we were “surprised” with this one, I knew it was my time to take things into my own hands, especially since I knew I couldn’t go through anymore c/s and I really didn’t want to be on the pill or anything like it for the next 15 years-ish.
    I hate the idea of only being 31 and not being able to have anymore kids, but I also know I can’t put my body through another surgery and I know my husband will never “get fixed”. So…yeah, I feel a little sadness, like I’m giving up something (that I feel my husband should do…) but in a weird way I also feel totally in control :)

25. by Julie

On January 24, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I had a tubal when my 3rd was born – also via C-section. My doctor had mentioned before my 2nd child was born that if I was thinking of having one done, it would be best to do it at the same time as the C-section. Even though it was something my husband and I discussed quite a bit, I was hesitant too. I actually held on to the paperwork for a month before signing it and turning it in. For me, I hesitated because of the finality – it seemed to be one thing to say, “We’re done having kids,” and another to take such a permanent step. But I also didn’t want to use other forms of birth control for 25-30 years. My youngest is now 3, and I’m enjoying being out of the baby stage and getting into older stages (my oldest is 7), so I don’t regret my decision.

26. by maranda

On January 24, 2012 at 10:29 pm

i have three kiddos and am super crazy fertile, i too sneeze and get pregnant! so after number three i am planning on a tubal. i didn’t get it when she (#3) was born partially because i had her at a catholic hospital and they don’t do that but also because i wasn’t getting an epidural so even if we had gone to the other hospital i couldn’t have had it done that day. i plan on going for it when i am finished breastfeeding (doc said if i do it while i’m nursing i have to pump and dump for 24 hours) but i too am hesitant.

for me i know it’s not the permanency, i definitely don’t want to be pregnant again and three kids all i can handle! for me the reluctance is about changing my bodies natural functions. that kinda freaks me out. that egg is supposed to come out of the ovary and go into the tube and surgically making that not happen just seems unnatural like my body would be all “hey this isn’t right!” i am determined to get it done though. my husband is also getting a vasectomy, if not i’m sure my tubes will heal and 10 years down the road there will be another baby on the way…

27. by Caroline GP

On January 24, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I am pregnant with my third and suprise baby at 38, my other two children are 14 and 10 so it was quite a suprise. I was set on getting my tubes tied also but have had second thoughts also.. I also think after reading the comments I am going to go with my gut and not go through with it… I say go with your gut…too…

28. by Jennifer

On January 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I am 33 and have 5 kids (2 separate marriages). I had my first when I was 15 and he just recently turned 18, and my youngest is barely 2. I struggled with the decision of permanent sterilization for over a year. I love my big family especially since I was an only child! I loved being pregnant, I love the newborn phase, I love watching life develope in front of me, and mostly I love how incredibly different all my kids are. I think the hardest part for me was it being such a permanent decision. After realizing that from age 15 until i turn 50, my life will have constantly belonged tosomeone else. Thats when i realized i should be thankful for what i have. I however choose to have the Essure stents implanted instead of TL. This was done in my ob office similar to having a pap done in less than an hour, use a backup method for 3 months while scar tissue develops from the stent in your Fallopian tubes, and voila! No going under the knife, minimal risk, and permanent results. I still dream sometimes, but I know that my life is full with the joys that I already have.

29. by Mary

On January 24, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I wanted to have my tubes done after our son, even though he is our only child. We disscussed it during my pregnancy and I almost signed the papers. He was unplanned and it was not a very good time, but now I can’t imagine life without him. We are hoping to soon be in a financial position that will allow us to have another baby, but if we don’t have another baby it is really no big deal to either of us. We love our son more than anything in this world and if he is an only that is fine. But if the time is ever right we are going to try for another. I am so glad now that I never signed those papers!!!

30. by Brittney

On January 25, 2012 at 1:25 am

Someone mentioned a vasectomy having no side effects, not true. Do your research on that too. There’s a post vasectomy pain syndrome, scrotal hematomas… And more! My husband has a hematoma from his and its been nearly 3 weeks (its supposed to be a “back to work after the weekend” type surgery, he was out for 2 weeks. I know that is mild compared to some of the complications that can come with a tubal but i dont want anyone thinking men get off free with no side effects.

31. by Amanda L

On January 25, 2012 at 1:34 am

I Am only 23, but i just recently had my 3rd boy, and I also has a stepson…so i doubt we will ever have any more children (this last one wasn’t planned in the least bit) and i did the same thing…told the Dr I wanted to get my tubes tied, and they said “sure!” and on my way home, I started second guessing my decision. I figured that if i had to have a c section, it would be perfect…but i could always do it after either way. Then i was about 7 months pregnant an decided completely against it…just for the simple fact that it is so final and permanent. I would like for my husband to get snipped though, but i think that is such a big decision to make! I can hardly decide what i want for dinner at a restaurant! So, good luck…being pregnant and all those extra sensitive hormones might not make the ultimate decision any easier, but you are definitely not alone!

32. by Amanda L

On January 25, 2012 at 1:37 am

Also! I am getting the Mirena for birth control…I feel a little more in control than with getting my tubes tied! Good luck!

33. by Laura

On January 25, 2012 at 2:04 am

I’m sure it’s the finality of it. I don’t know that I could do it.
    I think you should have some of your husbands sperm frozen and have him get a vesectomy. That way you are protected from pregnancy but have a back up plan in the freezer so you always have a choice and don’t have to decide on forever right now.

34. by Jenny

On January 25, 2012 at 5:13 am

I did the same as you, I hesitated. But I knew after 3 c sections, I wouldn’t want any more. I really didn’t want to be pregnant again (I’m not a happy prego chick!) So my husband and I discussed it, and agreed that if we wanted a fourth baby in the future, and we had the means to raise another, we’d look into adoption. Even kids in America need to be adopted. So it’s not like if we feel we’d like to have another baby in our lives, we’d have to make him/her ourselves. Good luck in thinking though, I know it’s a hard decision to make. Don’t let people scare you with that post-ligation syndrome…

35. by Kelly

On January 25, 2012 at 5:25 am

I got mine done the day after my third child was born. No regrets here, but before I went in, the doctor had to talk with me. He reminded me of the permanence, and asked what would happen if my husband and all my children were to die tomorrow. he laid it on real thick, as I am sure they still do. They want you to think about too many “what ifs”. There are enough unwanted children around to share that love with, so I was very sure I was making the right decision. I still am. I have fostered a few children over the years, and wouldn’t have missed that experience either.

36. by Shelley

On January 25, 2012 at 5:56 am

Had mine done at 39 after 3rd baby (and 3rd section). No complications. Very glad I did it. Keep in mind that even the “permanent” method has a failure rate of 1 in 1,000.

37. by Ali

On January 25, 2012 at 6:14 am

NOPE! I will never ever get my tubes tied. There’s so many issues that many face post tubal ligation, even years down the road. My mother faced a lot of issues regarding periods, etc. that her doctor attributed to her having had her tubes tied. I’ve read enough online to make me re-think ever having this procedure done. There’s more risk (after the surgery even!) in having this done vs. a man having a vasectomy, which I found kind of surprising.

38. by Angela young

On January 25, 2012 at 6:23 am

After having what was supposed to be my second child–had twins so got number 2 and 3 instead. LOL. We knew we were done. I had a tubal libation and had many problems afterwards. Very heavy periods. Couldn’t lose weight. I later researched and found this things are common post tubal libation. So just do your research.

39. by Debbie

On January 25, 2012 at 6:25 am

I had my sterilization after my fourth child. I can honestly say that I went through a deeper PPD period afterwords. Now I am glad I went ahead and had it done…(I was sopposed to have it done after the third and even had the papers signed b4 hand, yet I did not go through with it) I think that with me I felt as though I would no longer be a woman any longer. I felt as though the only part of me that was genuine was my ability to give birth. I was wrong. My youngest child is 15 and I love her dearly. I am glad did not go through with the surgey after my third child, however, I am more glad that I did go through with it after the fourth one! I now have four grand-children. I could not imagine trying to raise a child in this era of my life. I am only 43, and getting my tubes tied is one of the most liberal and refreshing things I could have done for myself and my future generation(s) of children. Hope this helps you. Good Luck with your choice, which honestly is one of the reasons I went through a difficult period after I had mine done ( I no longer had the power to choose if I wanted to have a child, I only could choose to stop having them). Enjoy your day.

40. by Sonya

On January 25, 2012 at 7:12 am

I did not have my tubes tied when I had my c-section with our second because we said we’d probably have another. We have since decided two and we are done, I wish I would have had my tubes tied! If by some chance we are blessed with a third I will have my tubes tied during the c-section

41. by Danielle

On January 25, 2012 at 7:31 am

I had a tubal ligation done after my 4th baby. I didn’t have any doubts at all, but had a little bit of an issue coming to grips with all the last firsts I would have with my last baby. Only to find out that 17 months later I am 5 months preggers with #5!!! I still have no doubts about getting my tubal, wish it would have worked properly as I feel I had no choice in this pregnancy. Even though I will love this baby as much as my other kids, emotionally this has been awful. I have read so many stories about women who regretted their decisions for sterilization and wished that it would correct itself or they get a reversal but never hear any about the women in my shoes. Make sure this is the right decision. That being said, my hubby is getting the snip snip on Friday and I will be following up 6 weeks after this baby with a complete removal of my tubes. Knowing my luck if we both didn’t get things taken care of # 6 would be on its way too…

42. by Lily

On January 25, 2012 at 8:24 am

I have 4 kids all by c-section. I had a tubal with the fourth. The two weeks before I was back and forth about having it done. There were a million what ifs but the reality is that 4 healthy babies are a Godsend and all that we needed. I would gladly mother more children but this was the right decision since I too sneeze and get pregnant.

43. by Jeri

On January 25, 2012 at 8:48 am

It’s a little of both feelings. The finality of it and the giving up of that power which makes you a woman. The power of giving birth. However, once you look at your entire situation which varies individually and realize that doing this will allow you to be the mom you need to be to the children who are already here, then you will realize its the right decision. Everyone can’t live life as Michelle Duggar. Looking at her life from the outside looks so easy with limitless children…but unless you are truly ready to take on that many children..I say count your blessings and have the tubal and never look back. Good Luck. :)

44. by Mary P

On January 25, 2012 at 8:51 am

I’ll share my Facebook post but first do NOT bank your child’s cord blood and think you will get to use it. There is a wealth of information – Google “cord blood bank myths” – of course, you’ll have to weed through the top 20 or so that are all by blood banks. Interestingly enough, it should also be shown what is NOT in those top search results – any actual medical papers – which would have been one of the top results because they’d all trackback.

Another major issue, the collection isn’t large enough to work beyond children and people are paying into the kids adulthood.

“”Some experts are concerned that an ill baby who receives his or her own stem cells during a transplant would be prone to a repeat of the same disease. Most of the bone marrow transplants that use blood-forming stem cells have been performed on relatives of the donating child, not on the donating child.”"

You pay thousands and the problem is with all the things they claim to solve, are present in the cord blood – things like the DNA, the problems within the blood itself, etc. Likely, you will need a different child’s cord blood. If you are not in a “share” program, you are paying thousands of dollars for a fancy storage to line someone else’s pockets. AAP goes strongly against it.

“”Private cord blood banks- These are not looked upon very highly in the medical community. As a matter of fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics strongly suggests not using them unless there is a strong possibility that your child has a hereditary illness. The upfront cost is usually around $1,000-$2,000 with a yearly fee of about $100. Many times the cord blood specimen that is collected has to be rejected due to insufficient sample and you will be reimbursed the money minus the approximately $150 cancellation fee.”"

There are also some risks:
    “”Clamping the umbilical cord too soon after birth may increase the amount of collected blood, but it could cause the baby to have a lower blood volume and possible anemia soon after birth.”"

“”Some doctors and organizations, such as the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), have expressed concern that cord-blood banks may capitalize on the fears of vulnerable new parents by providing misleading information about the statistics of bone marrow transplants. Parents of children of ethnic or racial minorities, adopted children, or children conceived through in vitro fertilization may be especially encouraged to bank cord blood because it’s statistically harder to find a match in these cases.

The AAP doesn’t recommend cord-blood banking for families who don’t have a history of disease. That’s because research has not yet determined the likelihood that a child would ever need his or her own stem cells, nor has it confirmed that transplantation using self-donated cells rather than cells from a relative or stranger is safer or more effective. According to the AAP, “private storage of cord blood as ‘biological insurance’ is unwise. However, banking should be considered if there is a family member with a current or potential need to undergo a stem cell transplantation.”"

There is also some serious concern about banking facilities – there are so many, that several have gone under, took the money and ran and samples were completely ruined. Because it’s not an “accepted routine practice” so to speak, while the FDA has some mandates, there is no law that forces them to do anything if they decide to fold.

(Most info comes from kidshealth.org)

Sorry for the rant but I’ve seen far too many doctors with kickbacks pushing these things, preying on parents, with shiny print outs with fake stats. I’ve seen parents taking equity loans because they thought it was a cure all if ever needed. The best option is a public bank, so your sample can be used if it’s a good one, while your children are in the “queue” if they ever need it.

Now to the topic at hand:
    I have endometriosis so until I’m ready for removal, I’m not a good candidate. Hubs was snipped 5 weeks after my twins were born. That made 4 boys for us. It’s not been quite a year and I partially regret the decision. We aren’t 30 yet and I think part of me will always pine for a girl. Even if we never had one, it’s so final that it’s a bit of a breaking heart. Never even saying I would do it at all, but the fact that I *can’t* is painful now.

45. by Mary P

On January 25, 2012 at 8:59 am

You can also see AAP’s written report by searching:

Cord Blood Banking for Potential Future Transplantation

Particularly:
    “Cord blood donation should be discouraged when cord blood stored in a bank is to be directed for later personal or family use, because most conditions that might be helped by cord blood stem cells already exist in the infant’s cord blood (ie, premalignant changes in stem cells). Physicians should be aware of the unsubstantiated claims of private cord blood banks made to future parents that promise to insure infants or family members against serious illnesses in the future by use of the stem cells contained in cord blood.”

46. by Karen

On January 25, 2012 at 11:33 am

I had a tubal after my c-section with my 3rd baby last year. I struggled with infertility even getting pregnant with any of my kids, but I also had physically difficult pregnancies and complications with my 2nd and 3rd babies that could have endangered my life and that of my babies’. My husband and I knew before I even got pregnant with my 3rd child, that if we were to be lucky enough to have another baby, it would be our last. I asked for a tubal at my very first ob appointment. Because of the complications in my past, my doctor agreed that it would not be a wise decision to have more children.

I thought that I might feel sad or like I was missing out on something after. In fact, I have not. I love all 3 of my kids dearly, but I know that 3 is the magic number for us. My son is almost 14mths now and I haven’t even experienced the “baby fever” I felt by the time my older 2 were a year old. While I have had a bit of a hard time with all of the “last firsts” as someone else called them, I know that this was right and our family is complete.

I think that while some sadness is normal, if you truly feel unsure about your decision, you should not do it. That may only lead to the regret you are hoping to avoid. There are plenty of other methods of birth control out there. And though they aren’t as easy, they aren’t permanent either.

47. by Stephanie

On January 25, 2012 at 11:57 am

I had the same conversation with my OB/GYN now that I’m pregnant with the second. He said that the “rate of regret” is significantly lower among women who have the tubal scheduled 6 weeks after they deliver. There is so much emotion at the time of delivery, it can weigh heavily on the conscience. But if you wait and do it with a clearer mind, there is statistically less regret. Plus, the surgery is pretty easy, outpatient type procedure.

Whatever you decide, it will be the right choice. Good luck!

48. by Chloe

On January 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm

if you are hesitant, have your husband get snipped; that’s reversible.

49. by Dawn

On January 25, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I just had my fourth baby this past October. He wasn’t planned, but I couldn’thave be happiera that he’sshe here. I’m 38 years old. Throughout this last pregnancy my ob/gyn brought up tubal ligation since I had to have a c-section this time. Figuring this would be my last pregnancy having my tubes tied seemed like a reasonable idea– no more birth control to worry about! However, as delivery day loomed closer and closer, I got cold feet. Like you said, it’s permanent…forever. What if…? And, yeah, a small part of mecam’s thought mythe womanhood was atto stake. Silly, i know. I decided not to have it done, but couldn’t have even if I wanted to– I delivered in a Catholic hospital so my doc couldn’t perform the procedure unless I received special dispensation. I don’t regret not doing it. My husband is more than welcome to get snipped if he wants to!

50. by Lauren

On January 26, 2012 at 8:52 am

I had the same feelings when I was pregnant with #2. My husband and I had decided that 2 kids were enough…after that they out number you! I had a scheduled c-section with #2 (for other reasons) and had the tubal ligation done. I know exactly what you’re feeling – and I’m only 25. (24 when I had it done)

Before I even gave birth to my daughter I had some doubts about it – what if I did change my mind? -what if something happens to my children? – what if something happens to my husband and I remarry? -what if I was meant to have more children?

I held strong to my decision, knowing that I would have just as many doubts and concern about not having it done. What if my body can’t handle another pregnancy? What if I can’t handle another child? What if something happens to my children or husband?….

Either way you have questions and concerns – and it’s not an easy decision.

I do know one thing. I love both of my children, but I do have such a greater appreciation for what it means to be a mother now. Now that I know I can’t do it again and I am “stuck” with these 2, I love them even more because of it. I think it’s all about the way you perceive it. If you think of it as a loss, then you may regret it, but if you think of it as a way of protecting the bond you have with the children you already have – it makes it much more positive experience.

Good luck!

51. by Jill

On January 26, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I haven’t done it but Im glad I am not the only weirdo who thought about My Sisters Keeper while thinking about it!

52. by Tessa

On January 26, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I would reconsider it. I was on a web site that was talking about ALL the problems women have been having after they had a TL. Some even went in and had it reversed. Not because they wanted to have more children but because of all the problems they were having. Most of them say most or all of there symptoms resolved shortly after the reversal. There is a thing out called, Essure. It is a coil that goes into your tubes and causes scar tissue to build up and stops the egg and sperm from meeting.
    It doesn’t cause the same problems because it isn’t cutting off the blood supply between the uterus and ovaries. If I decide to have myself fixed that is the way I would go. My husband was going to do it but I read about all the problems that could cause for him and decided against that also.

53. by Carolyn Copeland

On January 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

I’m one that later(7-8 yrs)regretted having my tubes tied after my twins were born at age 27. We had 3 kids then. My dr influenced me by saying, “This is your 2nd c-section, but your 2nd and 3rd babies!”… So what?! What was I thinking?! I discovered later he was for zero population growth.I was fortunate enough to find my ‘tying’ was a simple one, not burned and irreversible. I was not in any guilt nor agony over this, just a subtle growing through the years that ‘someone’ was still missing. 10 yrs after our twin’s birth and my tubes tied, I had ‘tubal ligation reversal surgery’! It was a harsh recovery with no guarantees, but 2 mos later I was pregnant with our daughter-she’s 20 now and I absolutely cannot imagine my life,nor this world without this beautiful girl. I also recall a very vivid thought 10 yrs ago when 1 of our twin sons was killed in a car accident at age 21-’I'm so glad I had more children’. Not at all insinuating any one could ever be replaced, but in losing a son and in my kids losing a brother, it was such a comfort to have each other. I do not believe in making fear-based decision regarding anything in life, but the decision to ‘untie’ was one of the best decisions we ever made.A better one at the time would have been not to do it at that time of still being in my 20′s and having only 3 kids. And, yes, in case you were wondering,I never had them retied, but I never had any more children either. That is not an issue for me now since I’m 58. Truly, children are a gift and treasure and the days of diapers(and my twins smeared poop on their bedroom walls daily at nap time for 5 mos when they were 2yrs old ), crying, sleep deprivation, school challenges, teen year(ugh)all passes so quickly in retrospect. At the time it seemed on hard days my little ones would be little forever. Now I enjoy my adult kids, my 3 grand daughters(when I want) and leisurely mornings and a quiet and tidy home that stays that way. Someone in a previous post stated that the dr advised that ” the “rate of regret” is significantly lower among women who have the tubal scheduled 6 weeks after they deliver. There is so much emotion at the time of delivery, it can weigh heavily on the conscience. ” Well!I think 6 weeks later most women are exhausted and dealing with hormones balancing and are more vulnerable to making a decision that may be regretted. Whatever you decide take your time and if you’re feeling the least bit hesitation or doubt-wait. Just maybe that last baby will find the cure for cancer or even be a great president, but for sure they’ll be a blessing.

54. by angie

On January 29, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Im 36 and had my third son ten months ago. He was c section number three and i signed the papers to have my tubes tied. After i signed them i began to have second thoughts. Its so final. Right before i went in for my c section i changed my mind! I dont want anymore kids but i just couldnt go through it.