Should I Watch My C-Section??

To Watch? Or Not?

Help. Need advice. I am tempted to watch my C-section happen. I mean, women use the big mirror to watch themselves giving birth, right? There is a part of me that wants to see how the hell they make such a tiny incision and pull a baby out.

I mean, I watch House. That’s practically like being a doctor myself, right?

My doctor said that at the hospital I’m delivering, there is a mirror on the ceiling in at least one of the rooms. I’m not going to push for that room, but if I get it, should I look?  Would that be a karmic sign that I was meant to watch?

I keep thinking I’m probably more prepared to see my own C-section than my vag pushing out a baby. That freaks me out even more (and during my labor with Fia they had to bring me the mirror so I could see what I was doing. Not pretty. And sadly, my pushing was for naught.)

He warned me it’s kind of gruesome. But as he was explaining the cutting and peeling back layers of skin, the part that got me the most was this: he says once they get to the uterus, they pull it out, and someone pushes down on your stomach to force the baby to pop out. I picture a 200-pound man with a giant elbow shoving down on my abdomen. Yes, it’s a bit of a horrifying thought.

Yet, I also wonder since I’ll be numbed and drugged if maybe I could look at this as an out of body experience…until of course my boy, my son, comes out healthy and kicking. Then I’ll be snapped back to reality–and a blessed one at that (knock on wood that everything is perfect with him).

I am going under the knife on Wednesday. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this for me? My husband is freaking out telling me not to. That’s because he’ll pass out if he sees anything and somehow he’s projecting his freakout onto me. Plus, he doesn’t watch House. So there.

Surgery picture via Shutterstock

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by steph

On January 21, 2012 at 6:54 am

My husband watched when my son was born and he says there’s no way I’d have wanted to see it. In fact, my son had surgery and the dr compared the incision to a c-section cut and my husband freaked out. On the other hand, I had a very quick c-section delivery because I waddled into my 37 week appt (the one when you make the c-section appt) and did’t know I was in labor. I have a high tolerance for pain and probably could’ve handled it. Good luck and best wishes!

2. by Courtney

On January 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Yikes. I would watch someone else’s c-section online first (I’m sure you can find videos somewhere) and then see whether you really want to see that happening to your own body. I don’t think I could do it! You’ll have to post what you decide!

3. by Heather

On January 21, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I totally get where you’re coming from, but watching a doctor perform a C-Section on yourself would be pretty intense. Ask yourself whether you think you can really stomach something like that (it’s one thing to hear what happens and another thing entirely to actually see it happen). If you think you can stomach it then go for it. Either way, let us know what happens!

4. by Beth

On January 21, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Yes! Make sure no one leaves sutures in there.
    Like House, get pain killers.
    Tell us all about it.

5. by CB

On January 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Your husband is a pussy! I didn’t watch my vag birth, but I wish I had. It just wasn’t presented as an option, plus I was pretty out of it by the time the 21st hour rolled around, I stopped caring about shit like that. But hell yeah… It’s possibly your last chance to experience something like that. Life is rarely punctuated by bizarre experiences like watching your stomach get cut open, so go for it!

6. by crystal

On January 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I wanted to watch my own!! but the hospital wouldn’t allow it. baby daddy could’ve watched, but he’s a baby! no photos or video was allowed so I have no idea what they really did to me! so yes watch it, as long as you keep in the back of your mind that this is all normal, they know what they are doing.

7. by Shauna

On January 22, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Hmmm… I’ve had two c-sections, no mirrors. Not sure if I would’ve been able to watch it all, especially with the first one. Good luck!

8. by Alicia m

On January 22, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Ive had 3 c sections, for my srcond one I asked if I could see, the doc said no, my husband and I talked about what would happen if I saw something I couldnt handle. I said id turn away.

9. by Kelly

On January 23, 2012 at 4:33 am

I’ve had two c-sections, and like Steph I also had the waddle into my 37 week appt. not knowing I was in labor with my first. The whole time I was convinced I’d have a vaginal delivery so I never really took the time to think about this. However considering they strapped my arms down and put a big blue ‘curtain’ over my face I assumed there was a reason they don’t want you to watch the procedure. I didn’t even ask. They do this because some women will view the procedure and can go into such a great panic mode it could put everyone, including baby into distress. My husband took pictures of my daughter being delivered though, the ENTIRE procedure and it freaked me out. Didn’t look like me, etc..He said there was no way I’d be able to handle it and he has a strong stomach, can handle these things. Said it was really hard for him but couldn’t resist capturing every moment. Now most doctor’s won’t allow pictures, they didn’t with my son in 2007, she was born in CA in 2003 and they allowed it. In IL they don’t and most hospitals from what I understand. I’ve also been told it just depends on your doctor. Maybe opt for a small role in a movie? :) I admit the pics were bizarre to see but I’m glad I have them, and got to see my angel come out bottoms up to the world!! Good luck & I wish you & your new angel much health & happiness! And REST for you mama :)

10. by Cheryl

On January 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm

During my schooling I got to see 2 c-sections (and a few other surgeries) and I know I wouldn’t want to watch it! I’ve also had 2 vag births and I didn’t watch those either! That being said, if you feel its important to you to see your child come into the world then watch. It is a pretty crazy thing to see though!

11. by Karen

On January 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm

No! My husband watched mine and he said it was awful. He said it looked like they took all my insides out, removed the baby, and put me all back together. He vowed to stay above the curtain this time around!

12. by sue

On January 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I totally understand your interest, and like you, I’m all about House and all those medical shows. One thing to keep in mind is that you -may- get a glimpse of non-baby “things”. I had a c-section and my husband has noted that he literally knows me inside and out. I think it’s safe for you to do it as long as you’re prepared for the chance that you don’t like what you see. :) Looking forward to hearing about your decision. Best wishes!

13. by Allison

On January 24, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Having been able to watch (live, in the OR) a hip replacement surgery as part of a co-op position many years ago, I would strongly advise against watching your own surgery.

Having had two c-sections myself (1 unplanned, 1 planned), I understand the desire to watch your children being born, however, the horror stories / nighmares of OR hammers, saws, drills etc. are all true. And while you may think that you could handle watching, the best thing for you and your baby is to stay calm and keep your blood pressure steady. Just be ready to welcome your little one without watching the details.

Just remember, most important thing is a healthy baby.

I also strongly recommend walking as much as possible as soon as possible for a speedy recovery. I walked around my room after my son was born, not much, but still more than I was expected to and my recovery was far better than a friend who delivered vaginally or my sister who had a section after pushing for 3 hours. After my daughter was born, I didn’t have a choice. At a month early, she was in the NICU and while I allowed myself to be wheeled back and forth for the first 6 hrs after the spinal wore off, after that I made myself walk back and forth to see her and pump milk for her every 2 hrs. By the time we were sent home on day 5, most people couldn’t tell I had had a section. Perfectly able bodied for taking care of an infant and a toddler.

Good luck!

14. by V

On February 19, 2012 at 10:47 pm

They don’t “pull out” your uterus. It’s held in by tendons. Unless your Dr. is doing something else, s/he shouldn’t be poking around in there. They only move things to get to the uterus and to put those things back. There is enough to do, like stitching up your uterus, the fascia, and your skin.