I Killed Bunny: My Sleep Training Breakthrough

Sleeping Sans Bunny Clock. Thank God!

Okay, so I just posted today a long blog about my latest issues and troubleshooting/advice in regards to Fia’s sleep regression.  I said that she seemed to be grasping the idea that when, “Bunny wakes up” (the clock we got for her), “Fia wakes up.” I was hopeful.

However, today, I killed bunny. Yup. He’s dead. And I’m overjoyed.

Here’s what happened the night after I thought she was “getting” it with the bunny clock. She was up at 11, 12:30, 1, 2:30, 3:30, 4, 4:50….in which point I finally put her in bed with me. It was worse than her newborn days.

Side note: if you have a child who has been sleeping fine and suddenly there is regression, every expert tells you to examine what is different; what has changed. I couldn’t think of anything…until…

Bingo. It came to me bright as bunny (did I really just write that sentence? That is f–ked up).

She finally “got” that she had a job to do, ie. wake up when bunny wakes up. She didn’t want to shirk her duties or disappoint. She takes her jobs/tasks very seriously. She was up constantly checking on bunny. I even heard her through the monitor and every time I went in and laid her back down. She’d recite: “Bunny awake, Fia awake. Bunny sleeping, Fia sleeping.”

Poor thing, she was putting pressure on herself not to let us–or herself–down. What can I say? She’s a girl. She’s an overachiever. She’s obsessive. She’s like her parents. It breaks my heart. She is so sweet.

So last night I told her, “Bunny went bye bye.”  (I may have actually used the word dead, because I was so tired I just didn’t care). I didn’t make a big deal about it though. I just said, “Fia wakes up when Fia wakes up.”

Here is where it gets extraordinary. She didn’t wake up ONCE last night. I mean, that hasn’t happened in weeks. She slept from 7:30-5:10. At that point I put her in the guest bed with me (can’t take her into our bed because Wayne is there snoring and spooning Phil. Yes, it’s ridiculous. Actually, Phil is spooning Wayne. Even more ridiculous).

I felt like a new woman today. Fia felt like a new tot. We were both so well rested. I pray my theory holds tonight and subsequent nights. But bottom line for anyone struggling with this is to ponder if anything has changed in your routine, etc. when the sleep regresses. Bunny was right in front of me and I didn’t realize it until it became an obsession for Fi (ie: waking up constantly).

I hope I never have to type a sentence with “Bunny” in it again. Seriously.

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by Berit Thorkelson

On January 13, 2012 at 11:00 am

Yay! Lack of sleep ruins everything. Might as well get a few good nights in before he comes, right? :)

2. by Nancy Lee

On January 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Congratulations. However, I will be interested to find out whether Wed night was just a one time, tired night, or whether it held together last night.
    If so, isn’t is amazing? You were clever to realize it might have been the bunny.

3. by jennifer Mykytiuk

On January 13, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Oh my gosh! Why didn’t I read this a month ago?? My 20month old just went through sleep issues too. After getting up with her every hour we ferberized her and luckily after 3 nights she is back to sleeping through the night. I thought we were done sleep training at 5months!

4. by Natox before and after

On December 5, 2012 at 5:36 am

Hi just thought i’d tell you something. This is the second time now i have landed on your weblog in the last four days hunting for totally unrelated points. Spooky or what?

5. by e cigarette cartridge dead

On December 7, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I agree together with your concepts for one of the most component. I call for an expert on this location to resolve my issue.

6. by Check This Out

On December 10, 2012 at 4:04 am

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog. Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

7. by real estate news

On December 24, 2012 at 5:16 am

Some really nice and utilitarian info on this internet site, also I conceive the design holds excellent features.

8. by coupons

On December 27, 2012 at 8:05 pm

My family members every time say that I am killing my time here at net, but I know I am getting know-how every day by reading thes good articles or reviews.|

9. by NETNAMECOMPANY

On January 1, 2013 at 6:19 am

Very interesting details you have noted , appreciate it for putting up. “The surest way to get rid of a bore is to lend money to him.” by Paul Louis Courier.

10. by css html website maken

On January 29, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Thanks for revealing your ideas. The first thing is that students have a choice between government student loan along with a private education loan where it is easier to go with student loan online debt consolidation than with the federal education loan.

11. by Stephen Rohanna

On January 31, 2013 at 1:37 pm

MyPCBackup is becoming the number one online backup wage-earner universal self-same fast. Sponsorship up and about thru this worker turn into a simple in addition calm entity because of the breathtaking sync file then automatic gridlocks. They obligate several beneficial structures and dissolute stoppages then this brands them purchasers’ desired. A proportion of stowage space, ability towards sync multiple computers in addition online control piece (because of him you container admission your records by anytime from every residence with internet) stand reasons why we originate up through MyPCBackup review next to the commencement.

12. I’ve been surfing online more than 3 hours as of late, yet I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It is lovely value enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.

13. by related Page

On April 29, 2013 at 3:02 am

You are my inspiration, I have few blogs and often run out from brand :) . “‘Tis the most tender part of love, each other to forgive.” by John Sheffield.

14. Great post, you have pointed out some good details, I likewise think this is a very good website.