Potty Training

pottytraining

Fia said her first sentence today. “I pooped!” I couldn’t be more proud. My work on this earth is done. Except that now it’s time to potty train, right?

We went to the store and picked out a cute little training toilet that makes music when you go. Of course all she wanted to do was climb on it.

I kept saying, “pee pee?” She would repeat. “Pee pee.” I’d take off her diaper, sit her on the potty, and she and I would just stare at each other. Then she’d laugh, stick her foot in the bowl part to hear the music and laugh. I’d put the diaper back on. Five minutes later she’d say “pee pee.”

“Oh, you want to pee pee in the potty?” I’d say, taking off the diaper again. Then same scenario.

After about 7 times of doing this in 30 minutes, the bowl was still dry, Wayne was bored of watching and so was I.

The potty is sitting in our living room and we’ll see what today brings. But I ask you moms: I have no clue how to go about doing this. And no, I don’t have time to read a book on it. I barely had time to read the instructions on how to make the music go (hint: put in battery). It goes back to my “If I only had 10 minutes” list.

So I’m asking for your expertise. Do I keep the potty out in the living room or am I going to have to take her back and forth to the bathroom every few minutes for the next 6 months? Because honestly if that’s the case, I’d rather stick with diapers. They don’t bother me a bit. But I also don’t want to miss the training window.

Fi, Wayne and I await your wisdom.

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by Berit Thorkelson

On August 22, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Funny, Jill, we’re going through this with Roy right now, too. Hoping not to have two in diapers. We have the same potty chair & everything :) We actually have one chair in each bathroom, but that’s just us. I will not claim to have any idea what I’m doing here… good luck!

2. by Blanca Leon

On August 24, 2011 at 11:09 am

I have the same potty chair and it is place between my kitchen and family room, were everybody could cheer when things were done. What work for me was leaving my son without diaper the first week. The first day we had some accidents but everytime they happen I took him to his potty and make him sit for a while and explain him. Second day he began using it by himself. Every time he feel the urge he went running to the chair. After a week of this routine I introduce underwear and learning to clean himself. I have to admit that my boy likes routines so that made it a bit easier for him. Good luck!!!

3. by Amvet

On August 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I had the same thing with my daughter Ariel. However when I first started I realize she wasn’t as ready as I thought. I had put her in pullups. But they were just another diaper to her. My next window, she was telling me when she had to go. Well I had also just had my second lil one and so Ariel was overwhelmed and wouldn’t cooperate.
    She’s now going to be 3 in less than a month. I’ve tried several times and she gets so mad sitting kn the potty. So I asked some friends for advice and this is what helped for myself.
    Put her potty in the living room where everybody usually is that way if she has to sit for a period of time she doesn’t feel like she misses anything. I took off her diaper/ pullup completely and she was running around in skirts or dresses. Yes there were a few accidents. But she knew what she was doing. Monitor her liquids and pay attention to how often she is going. That way if she’s not telling you she has to go. You know it should be bout time. Taking off the diaper will help tremendously cause they’ll realize they don’t want it all over them. I stayed home for about a week with her. It’s now been about 3 weeks and she’s telling me when she had to go. It’s tough at first. But be consistent.
    Hope I helped a lil. Good luck!
    Amber

4. by Johanne Cesar

On August 29, 2011 at 10:21 am

Fia is in stage 1 of potty training.

The good news is…potty training girls usually is easier.

In this stage they literally do no know they are doing something wrong. So your job now is to help recognize that pee pee is supposed to go in the potty. if she wets herself immediately take her to the potty and say pee is supposed to go in the potty. But most importantly show her where it’s supposed to go. Be consistent with it. Every once in a while ask her where does pee go. She has to tell you the potty. Hope this helps you with phase one.

Johanne

5. by Sarah

On September 26, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Well, I realize that this post was about a month ago, but…

I worked in daycare for eight years, with 2 year olds. The main goal (non-educationally speaking) was to potty train them.

Now, I know that I sound like a horrible person, but I did not do rewards of any kind. We went to the bathroom (the whole group) every hour, on the hour. Each child was expected to pull his/her pants down and take his/her diaper off, then climb up onto a regular-sized toilet. And just sit for a few seconds, at first.

Again, I know that it’s unpopular, but this is exactly what I’m going to do with my son, who is 14 months. No little potty in the living room, no potty chair (the kind that goes on the toilet). He will get a stool, though.

I view this as the first step toward personal responsibility. The first thing that we learn to do on our own that does not lead directly to something enjoyable, you know? Crawling, walking, eating on your own… those are all new and exciting, and lead to new experiences that are immediate. But going to the bathroom on your own is just something that has to be done. It’s not fun.

However, I had 16 kids at a time in a three-stall bathroom, so I kinda had to make it into something that didn’t get rewarded, because if I’d done it differently, we would have spent all day in the bathroom.

And, to be honest, we did try potty charts, but it didn’t work as well as not making a big deal out of it.

So. That’s my two cents. I know that not everyone will agree with it, and I know that not everyone has the time to do it this way. I also know that these comment threads can be brutal, so please don’t berate me for doing things differently.

6. by Sarah

On September 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm

And, Blanca, I’ve heard that going straight to underwear works well… I might try it with Owen when he’s 2.