My Sitters Are Driving Me Crazy Part 1

Good god. I know they keep my child alive and out of harms way, but is it too much to ask that my sitters keep track of all her “stuff”? I’m talking sippy cups, snack traps, the play stroller, a soccer ball, her hat, to name a few. All of which have been lost–some, multiple times.

Granted, I’ve done it too. I’ve lost some mom-crutch items and been thoroughly scattered (see post). But then I pay the consequences and buy more, or whatever. And, I’ve gotten better on the scattered front.

But my problem is two-fold. Sometimes they don’t restock and reorganize the diaper bag. And leave dirty items in it. I’ve even put a checklist on the refrigerator. Yet, today, I was out with Fi. I went to get a diaper, only to find a dirty spoon, two dirty sippy cups and no diapers. And the playstroller and ball are missing too. I mean, isn’t this childcare 101?

My disorganized diaper bag

I know what you’re thinking, find new sitters, idiot. And I may have to. Except that one of them gives me something a lot of others won’t: complete flexibility to book her at a moment’s notice. She is a college grad and very laid back. She hasn’t found a real job yet–which is to my benefit. And truth be told, I really like her. She cares deeply about Fia. And Fia adores her. And even though she loses more than my other sitter, it’s just been small things. And I honestly don’t think she’ll lose my baby. Plus, she just rocks. I can’t say it any other way.

The other one I use on Friday afternoons. She is a career nanny,  paid no matter if you use her or not. But for me, since it’s just 5 hours a week, as long as I give her ample notice if I don’t need her, I don’t have to pay her.  (It may sound crazy, but “pay or play” is the nanny culture in our neighborhood. They practically have their own union.)  I know her from the neighborhood and have complete trust–at least in keeping Fia safe.

So here I sit on a Saturday morning, totally annoyed because I spent an hour texting  one of them to track down Fia’s soccer ball and play stroller, both of which went missing on her watch. A neighbor had the ball, the stroller is still MIA, which means I need to go buy a new one. (BTW–Those things are like crack for tots. What’s up with that?)

My other sitter did offer last week after she lost Fia’s baseball cap–the only thing she will wear to keep the sun off her head–to pick up a new one. And I thought that was a really cool gesture.

But honestly, am I being a bitch here? Or do I have a point? Do I need to accept this as the price of doing business and keeping my tot safe? Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Before I waste any more time, I need to sign off. But thank you for letting me vent, because I kid you not, it infuriates me. Which probably means I’m overreacting.

AAAAA—RRRRR–GGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Back To Fearless Feisty Mama
  1. by Ellyn Reid

On June 20, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I really don’t think you’re asking too much to have a sitter keep track of your child’s items. I mean seriously? How do you LOSE a stroller? It’s not like they’re cleaning the house, doing laundry, and cooking food, and taking care of your child like you do.
    kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

2. by Stephanie

On June 20, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I honestly think that it is YOUR job to refill the diaper bag… Kids lose things… How old is said Daughter? maybe you should try to teach her how to put her things away? I am sure T or G isn’t playing with the things and losing them… Just my opinion not trying to offend… but I think you are over reacting hun!!

3. by Jen

On June 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Wow, finding a “real job”? Classy. I think providing quality childcare is an essential ‘real’ job and I know many college grads who do it. Poor choice of words.

4. by Karrie

On June 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm

As for them losing things that is unexceptable espically since one is even a college grad. But as for filling up the diaper bag it is easy for us as moms to just look in there before we leave to make sure we have everything we need. I have twin 4 year olds and a 3 year old i am a busy mom and alwasy make sure i dont leave home with things they will need

5. by Kathryn

On June 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I think it’s your job to clean out and refill the diaper bag — but I’d be upset about the large lost items, too. It’s not like a sippy cup here and there — although I can understand the hat, my own have lost their hats and I had to replace them — on my watch, but something as large as a stroller or a ball? If you can’t keep up with the stuff, it shouldn’t leave the house, imo.

6. by Laura

On June 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

White whines, anyone? Sure, it’s annoying, but really – who leaves their house with a diaper-wearing child & doesn’t check the diaper bag for diapers first? Babysitter or not, you’re still the mommy and when the sitter isn’t there, checking the diaper bag before you leave the house is your responsibility. She’s your sitter, not your personal assistant. Just my opinion.

7. by Megan

On June 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

That is really annoying, and not a problem I’ve had to deal with yet as we only have a babysit twice a month during the kids’ bedtimes. Maybe if you make them bear the brunt of their decisions then they will probably start being more careful? Have an upfront discussion (maybe take them individually out to coffee while hubby is at home?) and lay out a new rule: you lose it, you buy it. Regarding the diaper bag, I’d probably just restock it myself because it would be easier than trying to enforce a rule about it (and it doesn’t cost anything).

On the flip side, it is really nice you have access to two babysitters you can trust! We have one good babysitter who is very difficult to book (really, I have to ask at least a month ahead of time to have a chance of getting her). I stopped using our other babysitter because she was having boyfriend problems and I couldn’t trust her to not be focused on that instead of taking care of our children.

8. by Paula

On June 20, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Losing things = not cool. Quite OK to react annoyed to this. But the untidy diaper bag and not restocking is… well that’s just life when you’re dealing with a kid. You know this! It’s inconvenient to find yourself out without the much needed diaper, but if you’re the one gonna be relying on the bag, check it before you leave. Or, instigate a policy that the person who brings in the diaper bag gets to dump everything out into a box at the end of the day so stuff gets sorted.
    Or, just buy yourself a second diaper bag that the sitters don’t get to use and keep it stocked yourself.
    I experience these same annoyances.. just mine isn’t the sitter, it’s my husband!! LOL

9. by MomofTwo

On June 20, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I remember my days of baysitting and then being a nanny to help put myself through college. I would have felt horrible if I ever lost 1 item, let alone many. I used to always make sure the dishes were done & house was clean. And if asked I would fold laundry. I was a housekeeper, a cook & a nanny all for one very low price.

Now with my own kids, I have yet to have a babysitter who does any more than watch my kids & keep them safe. The kids love them and I trust them with my kids. But seriously, would it kill them to pick up the toys they were playing with or at least help my kids to do it.

I think it’s a different generation who is babysitting and they don’t have the same sense of responsibility as we did when we were babysitting. They are getting paid to watch the kids and that’s it.

10. by merri

On June 20, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Honestly, I think your being a little overbearing. Loosing a stroller can be frustrating I agree with that however asking her to restock your childs diaper bag is a bit much. Also as a parent I make sure to check my diaper bag everytime I leave the house. I dont want to be stuck without a diaper. As far as asking her to keep track of the other things. Things get lost. It happens. My son is 3 and we need to buy new baseball hats all the time. To be honest I think it is up to you to make sure the sitter has everything they need for the day. Not for them to make sure you have everything you need for your day. But thats just my opinion. Thanks

11. by Hollt

On June 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm

What if you had two separate diaper bags? One stocked for you, one for them. That way if they don’t restock their bag, they will be the one who is out of luck.

12. by Karrie

On June 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm

just re-read my post sorry about the spelling errors and I meant to say I always make sure I dont leave home without the things they will need :) .. also need to add Ellyn you dont know if these sitters are cleaning,doing laundry and cooking I did all those things when I was a nanny.

13. by Morgan

On June 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Jen, I think she meant a “real job” as in–if she’s available at a moment’s notice it must mean she’s not working other than taking care of Fia when needed. So in that way she’s not working a “real job” that she goes to every day for set hours, or another position/job with at least a set number of hours–instead she works whenever she is called to be a sitter for Fia. At a moment’s notice. That was just my take on it. Not saying you’re wrong. :)

And I don’t think you’re over-reacting myself…the diaper bag thing is a pet peeve of mine too. Doesn’t mean it’s rational, but then again many pet peeves aren’t!

14. by Nicole

On June 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Somethings; yes, it is a bit ridiculous, but refilling the diaper bag, that is an overreaction. I always make sure to do a double check of my daughter’s bag before we leave to make sure things are right where they’re suppose to be. A ball? Meh, couple bucks &+ you could easily get a new one. But the stroller is a bit much to be losing. I just don’t see how that’s even possible.

15. by ME

On June 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm

OK – first of all, I am a previous nanny.
    Secondly, how do you lose a play stroller? Little things can be lost, sippys etc. But items like a soccer ball, stroller, etc. NO EXCUSE. It is your job as a nanny to help the child learn to pick up and be responsible for their toys. If she keeps losing things, then I would say… they are not allowed to go anywhere while you are gone. House and out back. Period. As far as restocking the diaper bag, I wouldnt expect the nanny to do it. As a parent that is my job at the end of every day.

16. by Taylor

On June 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I think one big hole here is that you seem to have two very part-time sitters. If you only worked a few hours a week at your job, how much would you care about it?

I’m a “career nanny” just like G, and I would feel terrible if I lost something like a stroller. I am also a college grad like T. I think you should find one person and offer her at least 20 hours per week. Give her a reason to care about your kid and her stuff.

Also–check the diaper bag *before* you leave the house. That’s kinda mommy 101. Things don’t magically reappear. :)

17. by Stephanie

On June 20, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I agree that it is your job to restock the diaper bag. I don’t ever leave the house without making sure that there are diapers, wipes, etc., in the diaper bag!! And kids do lose things! I am fortunate enough to not need to pay for sitters but if I did, I would give them no more grief for lost items than I give myself!

18. by Coopermom

On June 20, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I think you should just be happy that she cares deeply for your child and takes good care of your child. For me I can deal with an unorganized sitter when my child is being cared for. She is not yet a mother and does not understand the importance of organization. Cut her some slack. Your kid is happy and loved and that is all that matters.

19. by Melanie

On June 20, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I agree with a second diaper bag. If you cant deal with the lost toys, have them stay home. I am sure she feels bad about losing things. Losing things is part of being a parent/nanny/kid. I can see losing little items, but bigger items are a bit harder to lose. Are they leaving them outside for people to take off with?

20. by Kelly

On June 20, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Yes, you’re being a bitch. You’re lucky to have two sitters available to you anytime you need. Restock your own damn diaper bag or stop your bitching for leaving the house unprepared!

21. by Chris

On June 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm

When it comes to loosing things — a spoon here or there, even maybe leaving a hat at the park, or a sippy cup once or twice over a long period of time… Sure, it happens, even as parents.

Leaving the dirty stuff in the diaper bag — if the sitter is caring for the child at my home and has taken them out (hence the dirty items in the bag), then they should take them out. It’s just plain sense to do that. What if you don’t take said child out for a few days and there’s a sippy with milk or something with food in it? Grossness.

But when it comes to stocking a diaper bag, that I believe lies entirely upon yourself before you go out.

22. by Abby

On June 20, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I do not think you are overreacting at all! How do you lose a stroller? I can understand losing sippy cups and the occasional toy (if they are playing outside it happens) but a stroller? Thats insane! Its not a small item that you can just leave behind. As for the diaper bag, I think she should be responsible to refill it. In my house the rule is if you use it and finish it, then you have to refill it (for example, the toilet paper). I thankfully have a wonderful babysitter that I dont have to worry about these things with-but maybe thats because when she started I was clear what my expectations were…Good Luck!

23. by jme

On June 20, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I cannot believe any mother doesn’t check the diaper bag before they leave the house. ESPECIALLY when you know this is an issue. The blame her falls on you, if the nanny didn’t check the bag before thse left & you had used it last she wouldn’t think of texting you WHICH BTW, doesn’t solve the challenge at hand. Don’t blame the help you hire for your own inability to realize as a mom & employer that the bag will not be properly stocked. Buy a bag for yourself & stop whining!! Your a mom she isn’t a nanny!! Blame yourself for not checking. You get what you pay for. You will find that once you replace her, someone else will irratate you in another way (or the same). Why on earth not let them all go & do it yourself since you are so much better organized?? HMMMMmmmmm, I doubt that will happen. Since it would seem that you just want to fuss about it, sounds like the mom thing may not be your “bag” either.

24. by Cyndi

On June 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Right there with the everyone else that large items should be pretty hard to loose track of…small items (cups, pacifiers etc…easier to loose track of). The restock of the bag – totally up to you. I think as a parent it’s our job to be as prepared as possible and that means checking on our supplies ourselves. Plus, I personally liked my diaper bag organized a certain way so I knew where I could find something reaching in blindly. However, I can see how all of those things compiled would cause you to be annoyed.

25. by Jeannette

On June 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm

It is annoying that they can’t keep track of your child’s belongings, but you are their employer. It is your right to lay out expectations and if they can’t or won’t meet those expectations they aren’t doing the job you pay them for. It is not unrealistic to expect your babysitter to restock the diapers in the diaper bag after they use it and if you want them to do that, then make it part of their daily tasks. They might be wonderful with your child, but taking care of your child kind of includes making sure she’s not losing toys, etc.

Going back to the days that I was a babysitter (mind you I was a teenager) I always checked the diaper bag, and made sure I put back what I used. It wasn’t asked of me, but it was what I felt was right to do.

I will say that I have a teenage babysitter for my son and she comes for a few hours periodically. I have begun to notice that she doesn’t pick up the toys after they are done playing with them, which drives me nuts. I think I may have to ask her do that.

Anyway you look at it, a babysitter/nanny is never going to do things like you. But, if you want things done then you have to ask and make it part of their job. If they can’t follow through, then it’s time to look for someone who will.

26. by Erin

On June 20, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I don’t think your over reacting. Those things anger me, too. I think that refilling the diaper bag and keeping track of things is part of the job. I babysat for years when I was going through school and all of the things you’re talking about seemed like obvious things when I was in that position. Also, if you’re a teacher in a school building and you use the last sheets of paper in the copier, you refill it, you don’t leave it for the next person find empty. Also, about losing sippy cups and toys, do they not look around and pick everything up once your daughter is done with them? Isn’t it common sense to make sure you have everything before you leave an area? Anyway, good luck with everything! Hopefully they’ll start using your checklists soon!

27. by Nicholle

On June 20, 2011 at 1:07 pm

It’s an automatic for me anytime I leave the house with tot in to – always check the bag, don’t even think twice about it. That way I have nobody to blame but myself….

As for occasional lost things – I can understand that rubbing the wrong way, especially when the other person didn’t pay for those things – but think of how many items you lose yourself or that your child loses over the years? Small items aren’t significant in the big scheme of things.

A stroller on the other hand…I would have a big issue with that if somebody else ‘lost’ it or misplaced it. How do you lose a stroller???

28. by Krystal

On June 20, 2011 at 1:08 pm

You said she lost the stroller on Friday and you are going out on Saturday to buy a new one? Give it a few days, it will probably show up. If it doesn’t show up, will your daughter even care in a week? As for the diaper bag, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure YOUR child has everything they need!!! A babysitter is there to care for your child for a short amount of time, not to raise them. It is your responsibility to provide for them!

29. by Patty

On June 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I am a nanny. I have worked for over a year with the family I am with now for over a year. My responsibilities are to care for the three children, clean, cook, do laundry and whatever needs to be done. If I can’t find something, I either text their mom or wait for her to come home and let her know. leaving dirty dishes in your child’s bag is unsanitary in my opinion. I think you main sitter is young, but is trying. She needs some improvement, but seems like you can work with her. She did take responsibility for loosing the hat. honestly, I think you need to let “G” go. Not remembering where little things are is okay every once in a while, but loosing a stroller is not a okay. I had left the family i work for because i needed more hours and money. They hired another nanny. I had not been at my job for three months before Mrs. H called me back. The other nanny “lost” towels and other items. which were suspected she took, and the kids had a lot of problems with her. You want a nanny that will treat you kids and their things they way you would. Someone they will not only have fun with, but that you can trust not only your kids, but with your house. Not someone that gets frustrated easily and is mean to them. You can easily find another nanny or ask your sitter to see if she will work on Fridays too. Good luck! i hope this helped.

30. by Jodie Lacey

On June 20, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Wow. Really? Yes, you might be overreacting. Why don’t you just try getting into the routine of filling the diaper bag the night before you will be using a sitter, & keep in mind to refill it the night you’ve used your sitter. Also, do you have names & phone numbers on all of your baby items? This might help so you atleast, eventually get them all back!

31. by Janine

On June 20, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I am shocked by the responses of people calling you names. That’s overreacting! I think that every mom is entitled to having guidelines for their babysitters. If these things are important to you, then you need be very clear with them. Perhaps having a checklist for them. I also like the idea of having 2 diaper bags so they deal with the mess they make. And how on earth do you lose a stroller??

32. by Monica

On June 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I have to agree with some commenters you are in charge of refilling your child’s diaper bag. Your babysitter is just that the person that makes sure your child is healthy and well taken care of. They are not maids. I think people get them confused. The dirty diapers and dirty cups yes that should be cleaned but as far as refilling that is your responsibility. Sorry wish I could side with you. But you are the Mom. Step up and take responsibility and if you want a maid pay for one.

33. by Mel

On June 20, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I am a parent of a 3 year old and a former nanny.

You have lost stuff, and so has she. Get over yourself and quit bitching. THe bigger stuff i question how she lost though.

Restock and reorganize the diaper bag? Seriously? YOU are the parent, not the sitter. YOU prep the sitter with the items you want her to make sure to take. thats like asking a teacher to send home projects for you to do with your child because she is a teacher.

Your child is loved and taken care of.. get over the petty stuff and be thankful for the love, care and safety your child is given with the caregivers. Its not their job to prepare you for your time with your child. Its YOUR job. Have a diaper bag prepped for the childcare and keep one for yourself.

34. by Marissa

On June 20, 2011 at 1:17 pm

It is very unreasonable to think that your sitters should re-stock your childs diaper bag. I know that I don’t expect this from my sitters. It is the parents responsibility in my opinion. I have dealt with missing items that have been used on other kids from my childs diaper bag so I started sending one bag to the sitter and keeping one in my vehicle, so that I know that I will always have what I need. As far as losing the larger items, a rule should be made that toys do not go, plain and simple. Hats/cups/etc, I always grab 3 of them at a time, for my bags, because kids do lose them and I always have the extras handy. Goes hand in hand with being stocked. As far as the stroller, sit down with that sitter and find out how she can lose something that large and let her know that it is unexceptable. Get a grip, take a breath, and work on your own responsibility issues with your child.

35. by Daisy

On June 20, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Ok,I don’t think you’re overreacting about the lost items. I mean, I am a mom of 4. I know things get lost, but if the sitter has one child to keep up with, there’s no excuse. Sippy cups do get lost, but that is something to be taught to the child. They have to learn to put the cup in the appropriate place when they are done drinking out of it. Sippy cups are just to help them learn to drink out of a cup and should not be used as a pacifier or substitute for the previous bottle. Do you carry around a cup all day long and take the chance of losing it? No. We get a glass, get a drink and probably sit it back on the table or kitchen counter when done. As for the ball, come on….keep up with stuff. The stroller…how in the world do you lose a stroller? Shouldn’t the child be in it while out and about. Otherwise, I’d think it would be in their car. Outside of those two options, what did she do with it? In my opinion, someone who can’t keep up with things is not as responsible as you thought. No matter how much we like someone or our child likes them, if they aren’t responsible, they just aren’t. As a caregiver, they should be helping your child learn to keep up with those things….as well as you doing it when the caregiver is not there. It will become a habit. Hats are like sippy cups, they do get lost, but be responsible. As for the diaper bag….that is a pet peeve and if you ask your caregiver to do this then they should do as you ask. That’s just the way the world works. If your boss asks you to clean the bathroom and you’re the manager, you just do it. You may not like it, but you do it.

36. by Patty

On June 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm

OH! Also, two of the children are in swim. I pack their bags every day, with water, snacks, and make sure they have every thing they need. I even pack an extra swim suit and clothes for the little girl. I agree with Jeanette. Make sure they know what their responsibilities are. Hopefully it improve, but if the stroller does not show up, I’d call the agency that has gave you this nanny. You can’t blame yourself or them for everything because we all make mistakes. moms and babysitters/nannies.

37. by Angel

On June 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm

If you have made a list for the diaper bag and posted it on the fridge and made it clear that it is important to you that the bag is returned in the condition that you left it (and you made sure it was stocked before the sitter got there), then it is part of the sitter’s job to comply. You are an employer, this is part of the job, and whether it is reasonable or not is beside the point. If the sitter is losing your child’s things (really, a stroller?!?), they are responsible for replacing them. And leaving filthy things in the diaper bag and not putting them in the sink is unsanitary. We’ve all done it accidentally, but as a habit, it is unacceptable. Your sitters’ first priority should of course be Fia, but keeping her stuff safe and available is part of taking care of her. I was a career nanny pre-kids, and I wouldn’t have dreamed of treating someone else’s stuff that way.

All that said, you should also check your diaper bag before leaving the house and not assume it is all set. I check mine every time, just in case – I forget that I used the last diaper or took out the sunscreen, and I hate not being prepared. Takes less than 5 minutes, prevents lots of crying later. Worth it.

38. by Kasie

On June 20, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Ok I was a babysitter for a little boy for 2 years. He was 3.5 when I started. I watched him, made sure the areas we played were cleaned up, washed any dishes that were left in the sink and washed his clothes every Friday. These were things the mom asked me to do when I went to their house to meet her husband and so she could show me her house and what she expected. I also took my little boy with me. Now saying that I think if you want these sitters to do these things they need to be laid out in the beginning. Not something you just expect them to do. They are not able to read minds. Not trying to be rude but it is true. Dont expect someone to do something you havent asked them to do. And if for some reason anyone ever has a nanny or babysitter and you do ask them to do your dishes that are left in the sink. DO NOT leave all the dishes from that weekend for them to do on Monday. Thats just rude.

39. by Heather Kelly

On June 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm

My advice. Be happy you have someone that cares about your child to watch her. YOU are the parent not the babysitters. I do think it is your job to refill the diaper station. Did you think that maybe they say the same thing when they come over and its empty because you didn’t refill it for them. The main issue is that you have BABYSITTERS. When my child was in daycare her name went on everything and not a single item was ever lost, everything was washed out. I recommend you put your child into a formal daycare if you want that kind of service. Babysitters are what they are called, there to sit for the baby. Not wash dishes, clean or organize for you.

40. by Daphne

On June 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm

You have ever right to be frustrated! I was a nanny for YEARS and never lost anything! I have also never had a babysitter lose anything (yet at least) of my son’s.

41. by Miranda

On June 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I think I would be upset about things going missing, my daughters daycare is always losing a shirt here or there of hers, but I get over it eventually or they end up finding it later on.

As for a diaper bag I always had two going. I would have one for daycare and another for personal use. Granted both were my responsibility it was easier to keep things stocked when I had things separate and I would never be out with out a diaper with my personal one.

But honestly I believe you should downsize to just one sitter, make one full time and just drop the other and make it clean that your daughter and her things (if taken from the house) is the persons responsibility to look after, anything that is lost on their watch will be taken from their paycheck. Simple as that if they can lose a stroller they can lose your kid, so they can lose some cash.

42. by Karena Milford

On June 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Have you considered providing a diaper bag, umbrella stroller and a few small toys and feeding on the go essentials specifically for the babysitter? If she loses them, she is responsible for replacing them. She has to restock her own diaper bag. a milk crate with a ball, picnic blanket sippy cup or 2, a cheap umbrella stroller and a small diaper bag with a couple cheap spoons and rubbermaid containers, wipe container and extra play outfit could save you a ton of worry. Let her know that these items are for her use and she is responsible for the replacement of them if they are lost. She is to keep the items and just restock from your stock, diapers, snacks, wipes and a new spare outfit as she needs them. As for your diaper bag, i’m sorry, but that’s asking a lot unless you are paying VERY well. Her job is to care for your child, right? Restocking the diaper bag falls under household duties. Its equal to grocery shopping or putting away laundry. I provide child care to a family of 4 (along with my 3) in my home and I tell aprents not to send that stuff b/c i am not responsible for keeping track of it. I provide it, if you send it and it gets lost, its your fault. I’m here to be sure your children are safe and having fun. Not to make sure a sippy cup and basketball get sent back home or that that new outfit you sent her in today even though i told you we were going on a trip to the farm to see how to milk cows doesnt ge muddy. My kids do go to a sitter once in a while and i only expect them to keep my kids alive and relatively uninjured.

43. by Cheryll

On June 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Hi! I think you should tell the people who works for you how you feel. Teach them how you want things to be done inside your household and your child. Tell them how particular you are with things and how you want the kids things organized. It is not too much to ask. They should be doing that since it’s part of their job to take care of the child and their belongings. Sippy cup with shoes and dirty spoon should not be in one bag mixed up.

44. by Alyssa

On June 20, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Wow!! Can’t believe the reaction to a few lost things! I was a nanny for 7 years for 3 little girls, and although I don’t recal ever lossing things I am sure I did but since I wasn’t a mother at the time prob. Didn’t even think anything of it. Now as a mother of 3 I understand why u are upset but so upset to be ranting and blogging? Seems like u need to step back repack ur diaper bag everynight before bed and realize her main focus is ur daughter not always the small things as a sippy cup! I am extremely organized and still tend to loose and misplace things! Hope ur not planning on having more or u could have a small breakdown if u continue to sweat the small things! And I am sure ur doll stroller will show up!

45. by anon

On June 20, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Finding a real job? WOW. Thats plain rude. Do you know that the economy is terrible right now?

The sitter should be expected to take care of the kid and any kid messes.

You admit to losing things, why get irritated with her doing it? Little things get lost, thats just the price of business. I question how you lose a big item as a play stroller or soccer ball. Making HER pay for it? Thats uncalled for. She doesnt make you pay for cancelling on her when thats her only income. Dont bite the hand that takes care of your child.

I think you are over reacting a bit, and restocking a diaper bag is not their job. Cleaning it out at the end of the day of any dirty items, yes…. restocking NO.

46. by Tiffany

On June 20, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I agree with a lot of the other comments as well. That maybe you child misplaced the toys? My son puts things everywhere and I will just find toys in all different places when I am cleaning or rearranging my house. So I would consider that as well. Also I would never depend on someone to pack MY childs diaper pack for ME. I pick my son up from his daycare ad I clean out his bag and wash cups and spoons without question of why I am doing it. And as for saying that she doesn’t have a “real-job” is a little harsh because I think watching children is a job in itself. I’m sure she works hard with taking care of YOUR child when you need her. Not that I am trying to belittle you but I have the upmost respect for the people who are there for my child when I am at work. I have had times where they accidently send a child home with something of my childs and I just brush it off because I don’t know how she can handle 6 or more kids without mixing things or misplacing things. So maybeyou could ask her to be a little more cautious but depenfing on her to pack and organizing your diaper bag for you to use is a litle much. Lik I aid I would never expect tha out if someone caring for My child.

47. by Hillary

On June 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I have to say you sound like a rich stuck up snob. Heaven forbid that you restock your own diaper bag. The only time I can get a sitter is in the evening when my sister in-law doesn’t have a date. If she is busy my chances of finding someone to help me out that I trust is next to none.

As far as your stroller it sounds like it was stolen. How would you lose something like that??? Everything else is so petty.

48. by Heather

On June 20, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Just a follow up to everyone who is asking how do you lose a stroller. I have done it myself. I left the stroller laying on the other side of the car while grocery shopping. After the car seat and groceries all went in I forgot about the stroller and drove away without it. I am sure each and everyone of us thinks we are super mom. The fact is we are not and everyone loses things. I went back as soon as I returned home and noticed I had left it. By then it was gone. So that is how you lose a stroller, you kick yourself and buy a new one.

49. by mom of three and career woman

On June 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Okay~ I’ve read through a lot of these comments and here is what I have to say. As a sitter that you know is on call, it is their job to take care of the child. When you hire an employee, notice this is a job, you tell them what you expect. Ex: refill the diaper bag and try not to lose things. I believe the list is longer but these are two things you have stated you talked to them about. I understand the comments about “it is your responsiblity to fill your childs diaper bag” but really? If you hired someone to clean your houseand they nevr cleaned your toilet and lost your vaccum would that be okay? the rest of the house is clean but this part of their job is bugging you because you paid them for that in their job description. (list on fridge!) If you take a child out of the house with a play stroller you keep track of it. Really not that hard, when she puts it down you pick it up as you should be right next to the child playing :-) cups and such well those get lost easily. The nanny has no excuse…her job is to do what you need. That is why you paid her. I understand that maybe you should check the diaper bag knowing this is a problem, and address it EVERY time you find an issue. Dirty dishes can cause bateria and that can make your child sick. The losing of the stuff. Maybe put a white board near the drop of point in your house for errands. (next to wear the diaper bag goes) then the sitter can write down what is being taken with her and check it when she returns, keeping her accountable. Bottom line if you pay them and have stated this is their job and you are a busy person, you have every right to expect it. Though the consequences of them not following the job desciption are; fire them and find a new one (maybe not better) or deal with it reinforce the job description every time it happens and hope for an improvement. I’m on your side. Good Luck

50. by April

On June 20, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I think the losing the stroller is a bit much but I know myself as a babysitter have lost sippy cups and even shoes! I have 5 of my own kids and try to keep track of the kids I babysit stuff but it’s not always easy especially when they take their shoes off them selves or drop their sippy cup some where! And watching kids for a living is a full time job and as for the diaper bag maybe check it Friday night before you go out Saturday!

51. by Jen

On June 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I feel your frustration but it’s kind of on you for not checking the diaper bag before you went anywhere. Also, for not putting your expectations out there in advance (for example-letting them know that everything needs to be accounted for before they leave…which would also help in routine for transition times between their care and your arrival home)you kind of set up this entire chain of events. Maybe try this: before they leave for the day-ask them for each item that you need. Do that enough and they will make sure it is already done by the time you get home.

52. by brandy

On June 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm

it is a play stroller, get over your self, nothing better than finding someone to care for you child, i feel sorry for the mom’s that dont get there kids back alive. or they are beaten abused and starved. maybe the kid needed attention when they get home and she gets busy and forgets a dirty cup and spoon in the bag so what. atleast your kid is loved and cared for. be thankful not selfish.

53. by Sabrina Condon

On June 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm

You’re paying them to care for your child. If that means restocking the diaper bag to you, then they should restock it. That’s well within the resonable realm of responsibilities. I wouldn’t tell my boss it’s his/her job to restock the supply closet if I use the last pencil.

And losing things….completely unacceptable. Lose one thing here or there, fine. That’s life and we all do it. Constantly, though? Ridiculous. Personally I’d tell them what was happening, tell them you can’t afford them AND constantly replacing what they lose, and ask what they suggest as a fix. Ultimately I’d be aiming for them to replace the items they lose, or to track it down on their own time. They’ll become much more responsible much more quickly.

Best of luck.

54. by Mother & have been a sitter

On June 20, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I think the younger sitters are a bit less responsible and don’t tend to think as an’ experienced’ sitter….priorities for the younger ones are not about their belongings but that the child is taken care of….not saying they don’t care, but they just haven’t the experience or the have to’s as a Mother that has had to do all of those things……multi-task….(;

55. by Mel

On June 20, 2011 at 1:55 pm

You would be better off getting a professional nanny and not sitters. Nannys have the training and a different mindset.

56. by Mother and have been a sitter

On June 20, 2011 at 1:59 pm

@Heather—I guess you have an excuse for the people that leave their kids in the carseat and say they ‘forgot them’…?!

57. by Amy

On June 20, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Ok I have 2 kids and have baby sat too. So really restoking the diaper bag is something you should do or at lest check!! I think that there is somehting in the bag becuse I never took it out or sued it to find that my child has taken it out and I no longer have it. As for lossing things its fusterating but hey its life. How old is your child? May be you should not just keep replacing toys that she has a tendency to lose or set rules that serton more expencive toys should not be played with out side your home while the baby sitter is there.

58. by Emma

On June 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Overall, I think you are definitely overreacting. BUT not about the stroller. (I think it’s very strange that she “lost” a stroller.) But about the diaper bag, I always check the bag before we head out the door, even if I’m the last one to pack it. That’s just common sense. It doesn’t sound like either of these girls are mothers, so I wouldn’t expect them to multi-task (cleaning, laundry and watching baby) while you are away, unless you renegotiated her pay and laid out expectations as such. I definitely wouldn’t sweat losing the sippy cups and pacifiers…I would much rather my sitter be fully concentrated on keeping my child happy and occupied while I was gone. But if toys get dragged out of playroom/bedroom and your child is old enough to help pick up, perhaps they should be picked up before you come home. But I definitely wouldn’t sweat it! I would just be THRILLED that I had a trusted, loving sitter to call on at a moments’ notice! How wonderful! You are VERY lucky!!

59. by Kay

On June 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Okay here’s my take, if she is being paid to do these things and the person who paid her asked her to refill the diaper bag or gives her a list of things she’s like her to do, then she should do it, it’s what she’s getting paid to do. If you go to a 9-5 job and they tell you to do this and that you can’t say I dont feel like it and not do it and expect to keep a job there for long, so imo she has every right to be peeved about it

60. by Karen

On June 20, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I think you are overreacting. Diaper bag is your responsibility. Hell, I’d be happy if I could even find a sitter I trusted to take care of my daughter. I haven’t been on a date with my husband in God knows how long. If I found that trusted person, I would go out of my way to make sure everything was super easy for her/ him. Keep your attention focused on my kid is all I ask. Yes, I cleaned, did dishes, etc when I babysat but these are different times we are living in. Be happy you have someone!!!!!!!

61. by Suzy Q

On June 20, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Seriously,this much a be a huge problem to you that your non-real-job finding minions do not serve your properly. However, you don’t want to find new minions, how about just telling them to stay at home with your child? Because if this losing of items place is this bad, I am sure you are afraid that they will misplace your kid too? No? And yes, you should check and restock your kid’s diaper bag you will have the same responsibility with the backpack in grade school.

62. by Opinionated

On June 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Good God! Why do these people work for you? Seriously? Your biggest issue is a lost sippy cup and a dirty spoon in the diaper bag? Your condescending tone and publicly stating that you may need to fire your sitters is totally uncalled for and unprofessional. I am somewhat mystified as to why you have a parenting blog in the first place and why PARENTS magazine finds this blog worthy of publication?!? I’ve been a working parent and a SAHM – as a parent we are responsible for ensuring our children have all the provisions they may need. It is the sitters responsibility to care for your child per your instructions. Get over yourself!

63. by brananne

On June 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I am a nanny and yes I see you as a mean person who does not do for your self nor for your child. WHO leaves the house with out filling the diaper bag???? You and all other who think they can have children and not take care of them. Yes if your nanny is to work for you for 5 hrs once a week or once every two weeks YOU owe her if you don’t use her that day. Thats your deal not her’s! Pay!!!
    Does your daughter have any thing to do with where her things are!!!! She needs to learn to take care of her things, not the nannys or the babysitter, what are you teaching her for life. Take care of the mommy things you need to do and look up what a nanny does before you post things again. Be happy they still wrk for you after all you know your not easy to wrk for.

64. by Professional Infant and Toddler Career Nanny

On June 20, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I honestly think it is ultimately your responsibility to make sure the diaper bag is re-stocked and ready to roll..

Being a Professional Infant & Toddler Nanny I do re-stock and clean out the diaper bag but again I am human and therefor sometimes it’s been a long day with teething,tears, traffic, and time.
    I am entertaining and caring for my employers precious pride and joy while they work long Professional careers..I love my job and wouldn’t trade it in for anything-however I do require ‘Guaranteed Pay’ as I am trying to make a living for myself and you as my employer are required to pay all your other financial requirements if they are not needed that day…pay her and pay her well don’t ever be cheap with childcare..oh and please get over yourself and take down the check list-check yourself.

65. by Sheens

On June 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Well goodness me! SO many responses…

Hells yeah I think it’s acceptable to expect the sitter to re-fill the diaper bag! If there’s a job to do, do it right! She should at least RINSE the sippy cups if she’s too lazy to wash them.

Now, while I agree you should double check your diaper bag, hands down if they lose stuff on their watch, they should be responsible for replacing it. Maybe they’ll be more cautious about their absent-mindedness? Maybe not, but at least you can stop paying for their stupidity…

I can’t believe some of the comments above; what a bunch of b*tches! I hope your friends aren’t this supportive ;) Does no one believe in being responsible for your own actions anymore?! Man oh man I wish you lived in my town. I ran a day home for years and have four kids of my own and the only thing I ever lost on my watch was my sanity; not only was that mine to give away, but also highly over-rated ;)

66. by Laurie

On June 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I’m willing to bet you don’t pay your sitters well. Try paying them an adequate wage. You’ll be amazed as to how much more effective people are when you treat them like they matter, and not like minions (thanks for the word, Susy Q!).

67. by Kim

On June 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I was a nanny while I went to school. I worked for the same family for years and I took care of more than my fair share of responsibilities for that family. I was paid adequately and received benefits and a family car to drive while I was working. My boss loved me and often told me that if it came down between keeping me or the husband he would have to go. One time while running errands with the kids at Target, I lost a $100 bill she had given me to use to get the things she needed. I was so upset when I told her that I lost it. She wasn’t angry she understood how hard it is when you are shopping with two young children. Things get confusing in the hustle and bustle. Honestly if it an easy job she would have been the one doing it. Give you sitters a break.

68. by Sarah

On June 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I think you just need to chill. It’s not the end of the world for one thing! If you are having a problem with your sitter how about you talk to HER instead of complaining about her to every one! I have worked in daycare for many years and it is not our job to keep your stuff organized its yours. Oh and her job is a real job. You owe her big apology if she finds out what you put about her online. That was pretty rude!

69. by Martha

On June 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm

My husband does the same thing. Uses diapers out of the diaper bag at home and doesn’t replace them. Do I find a new Husband? I try to get him on board, maybe meet me in the middle or not let him speak when we have 2 wet kids in the middle of nowhere when I fly into a rage. I suck it up most times and know the responsibility falls on me. I hope you find the play stroller.

70. by Jill Cordes

On June 20, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Hi ladies. Wow, I had no idea my blog post would get such opinions. But I must say, I’m enjoying reading all of them. I will point out (since I feel like I need to defend myself a bit to a few of you) that I pay my sitters really well. Above what they usually get in our neighborhood (in response to Laurie.).

And Morgan–you are exactly right in my use of words “real job”. She is an NYU grad, and I’ve actually offered to pass her resume on to people I know in order to find a “real job” (ie: 9-6 Monday-Friday), so for all that jumped to the conclusion that I was saying taking care of a baby isn’t a “real job” it’s a word choice, simple as that. I should have used the word “full time”. Good point.

I think I will chill out on the restocking of the diaper bag (and I do always check to make sure there is a diaper–except the one time that there wasn’t), but I really appreciate those of you who also find it gross to leave dirty sippy cups, spoons, etc in a bag. And I stand by that.

Lastly, (at least for tonight), I have an update on the play stroller, though it still remains a bit of a mystery. My other sitter knocked on my door this morning with it. She said her friend (the other nanny she hangs out with who takes care of a child in our bldg of similar age) had it. Still a little confused on that one, since it wasn’t in the neighbor’s apt, and I thought they said they stayed in the building all day (so not sure how it ended up with the other nanny over the weekend). But I’m letting that one go.

Okay, that’s it for now. Thanks everyone!

71. by Julie

On June 21, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Having just had a babysitter lose my son’s most precious object (his blanket, hand-knitted by his nana and loved with every fiber of his being), I most definitely sympathize. I am shocked by how many other responders have posted negative comments. Ok, you take issue with it being a sippy cup, but what if it were the child’s lovey blanket or favorite stuffed animal? What if it went beyond the inconvenience and expense of repurchasing a needed object and really made an impact on your child’s day-to-day well being?

Sure, accidents can happen, but if you are entrusting YOUR precious child with someone, you’d like to think they are at least responsible enough to keep an eye on him/her and a few objects. When my sitter is watching my son, I expect her to be attentive enough to him to realize when a large, wool blanket gets tossed out of his stroller! If she isn’t, what else is she missing? Is she busy texting when my toddler runs into the swing area unattended? Heaven forbid she be so inattentive when crossing a street with him or elsewhere in the park they often frequent.

We all feel some concern when leaving our child in the hands of someone else, and the main despair I feel about this situation is the question of whether I’ve left my son with someone who will be responsible and attentive to his needs in my absence. To me, that is the real issue I take with the whole situation.

72. by Colleen

On June 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Jill,
    Something is odd with the stroller thing. That does not make sense for a sitter or nanny to lose it and then it pops up that someone the sitter knows had it. Would explore this a bit and if she is not upfront with you, would get a new one.
    Would also be concerned if they lose that many things that they are not as responsible as you would like them to be.
    I was a nanny while working on my grad project and would have never lost things such as a stroller.
    Now as an adult, have had a series if nannies and sitters in the various cities we have lived in and the ones I find yo be the very best are the ones who are homeschooled and adore children.
    The one we have now is fabulous! Plus with a sitter who is homeschooled, their schedules are much more flexible.
    Would start looking for a new sitter / nanny. Being responsible comes with the duties if taking care of your charges. A toy or zippy maybe but huge diaper bags and strollers: unacceptable! And that is as a former nanny and a mom who has had nannies for her own children.
    Nice to see you on Twitter! Like your @Parents bio about all of the cool places you have visited. You left off Erie PA and Peek n Peak, back in the day when you were dating a friend of my brother-in-law’s named Chris. My Sis is Jenn Murray Connell. We always think it’s neat when we see you on T.V. or in magazines. Fun to see your little one on your posts, too. Jenn and Chris have 2 and my Hubby and I have 2 as well. Hope you will pop by my Sunrise Learning Lab blog and am on Twitter as @F5th for Fab Fresh Fun with Friends & Family.
    Whenever you want me to RT for you, will be glad to do so as I like your posts.
    Happy nanny hunting!
    If you want help finding a quality one, I would be glad to help you search. I am a stay-at-home, do some educational consulting-at-home mom. Would be glad to help you interview potential candidates or to put some key questions together for you. You need someone who is top notch and is responsible to watch your darling little one.
    Enjoy your afternoon!
    Colleen :)

73. by Indi

On June 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I think you guys need an Au Pair, not a baby sitter :D

74. by caco

On June 23, 2011 at 8:52 am

Wow Jilly…definately touched a nerve here. My first thought is relax first time Mommy. Make changes that you can ..like 2 diaper bags..will save you lots of aggravation…and deal with the rest as part of the cost of having a trusted sitter. When we found an item that ‘worked’ or had special significance..we would go buy a second and maybe even a third (gramma’s, sitter, home) that way each person in charge of the child had one. Although, I am perplexed at the stroller…if they used it one way??? How did they get back from the outing? Motherhood is filled with joys and aggravations..this is the beginning of a long ride ..but one of the most rewarding, amazing adventures of a lifetime. My best advice…choose your battles.

75. by Kris

On June 23, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Yup, definitely your job to restock the diaper bag. Sorry! But babysitters are responsible for children AND items in their care. I miss our awesome babysitter – totally attentive and responsible and mega attention to detail. She helped raise her younger siblings though, and it’s obvious. She went for a “real” job. I don’t blame her! Less stress *wink*

76. by Erin

On June 23, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Wow…are we all really all that stupid???? It isn’t a stroller…it is a TOY stroller. Seriously…those of you who are mothers…your kids still in possession of every toy you have ever bought them?? Or by chance have some been lost while in your care?

Oh and as for the diaper bag…restock your own bag before you go out.

77. by Amy

On June 24, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Ha, I just sent my daycare an email about this very issue today. It’s a large center and there are maybe 20 kids in his room, 2 teachers. Each child has his or her own cubby to put their things. They had a water day this week and we were asked to bring in a bathing suit, towel and water shoes. I brought all of his items in a bag with his picture on it and put the bag in his cubby. Only he not only had on someone else’s stuff (GROSS), our swim trunks went missing. Still not recovered. My daycare is reimbursing us for the missing trunks and implementing new policies to be sure that kids don’t go wearing other kids’ stuff anymore. Overreacting or not, I get your frustration!

78. by Nicole

On June 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I am a SAHM but I do have a couple college kids babysit sometimes. I agree with you, I would be pretty upset if items kept getting lost. Especially a play stroller,..REALLY?? That is totally unacceptable. I also think they can throw out a dirty diaper and re-stock the bag. It’s part of their job and not really that hard to do! Very Frustrating!

79. by Kaite

On June 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm

As a babysitter who has been babysitting for the past six years and who is still in college you should know that not all babysitters are like this. You should REALLY find a new babysitter. I have never lost anything, and in addition, toys get picked up during naptime (whether we played with them that day or they were out when I arrived), and most of the time the dishes all get done. Also, any mess we made in the house from snack or mealtime gets cleaned up. The diaper bag is always fully packed and organized as well. I’m not a professional babysitter and I go to college full time and work two jobs 40+ hours a week. If your babysitter can’t handle responsibilities you LIST for her (I’m not even ASKED to do the things I do) than you need to find a new babysitter. However, I DO know good ones are hard to find! Good luck!

80. by Ashley Jordan Breor

On June 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hey I read all of your the different part of my sitters are driving me crazy, I am a stay at home mother, also I am a single mother. But I will have to agree with you when I worked full-time and my 2 year son was in day care, they would loose his stuff all the time, cups, binkies and I even felt like I was loosing more diapers than my son was using! All of witch I had to replace, and later see another kid in his class with the items my son had lost! Its carelessness, and not being responsible. I now keep a few kids at my house from time to time, and I am very protective of my sons toys and all Items that I spend money on! Im sorry people are bashing you about working!! While being a mom is a real job, unless you keep other kids it doesnt pay for your bills or misplaced Items That sitters loose. I would make a rule list! I only let certen toys out side, and they are not allowed to leave my house/yard and when we come in they go in the box by the back door! Have a check list by the back door! Make them sign in and out the Items! As for the cups and dirty things in the bag, at the end of the day I have to clean up the mess for kids to get ready for the next day! Make that part of their clean up list that you have to check off on! Clean out diaper bag, and restock. If they really want to keep their job they need to do their job to their best! Let them know what you expect from them! Good luck, I hope they will do their job and not get replaced! :)

81. by DeAnna

On June 24, 2011 at 7:35 pm

You are NOT overreacting! You have expectations that go along with caring for your daughter. These expectations are NOT ridiculous, no matter what people might say.

However on the flip side you should probably check to make sure the diaper bag has diapers…just get into that habit. The sitter should take care of the icky messes in the diaper bag and be held responsible for restocking what she uses, but you should be checking before you go out.

Your sitters might be good, but if they can’t follow through on a simple request then it might be time to let them go and find a GREAT sitter!

Best of luck

82. by Beth Bahr

On June 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I definitely think restocking a diaper bag is a sitter’s responsibility. I found when my daughter was young I actually gave my sitter my skiphop I never used and it was “her”diaper bag. She had to be responsible for restocking.
    Now that my daughter is a preschooler I have a little backpack on the stroller filled with wipes (good for so many things besides diaper changes), an extra set of underwear, and extra outfit and an extra pair of socks. If she uses something, she replaces it, if on her watch we’re running low on wipes she replenishes them.

83. by Candi

On June 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Nannies should have a loving bond with the kids in their care. How can you tell if your nanny is not making that connection with your kids?

Your nanny doesn’t hug your kids when praising or comforting them.
    Your nanny stands at a distance from your kids.
    Your nanny doesn’t smile easily at or laugh with your kids.
    Your nanny doesn’t pitch in and help your kids when needed. (For example, if your eight-year-old daughter wants to make cupcakes, does your nanny offer to help her or does your nanny stand by and merely supervise her making the cupcakes by herself?)
    Your nanny makes all the decisions about what your kids will do, when they will do it, and how they will do it (rather than considering your kids’ opinions about their activities).
    Your nanny attempts to over-book your kids with activities that take them away from her.
    Your nanny doesn’t acknowledge your kids when she walks in the room.
    Your nanny doesn’t keep close watch over your kids.
    Your nanny provides your kids more criticism than praise.
    Your nanny complains to you frequently about things your kids have said or done.
    Your nanny speaks unkindly about your kids when she’s interacting with others in your community.
    Your nanny says unkind or intolerant things, pits kids against each other, or otherwise creates discord.
    Your nanny is unwilling to be flexible in what she does for your kids. (For example, if one of your kids needs to change the time of drop off or pick up at a specific event, does your nanny willingly agree to the new time or does she become frustrated at the inconvenience?)
    Your nanny seems stern and/or unhappy around your kids.
    Your nanny misses a lot of work for reasons that seem questionable.
    Not every nanny can mesh with every child. Finding the right nanny for your kids involves good pre-hire work up front. If you have a nanny that acts like she’s not into your kids, it’s best to talk with her about what you’re seeing and how that’s different from what you’d like. Maybe the nanny is coming across differently than she intends. If she really is not into your kids, then it’s time to move on. Both your family and she can find better matches out there somewhere . . . and Nannies4hire.com is the perfect resource to help you find your new nanny, the one who is a perfect fit for your family.

84. by Alicia

On July 24, 2011 at 1:49 am

I can’t imagine leaving the house and not checking the diaper bag. I always would make sure there were diapers wipes and a change of clothes. I think if other people had access to the diaper bag that would make me double check the diaper bag even more. She simply just needs to tell the babysitter to just stick a few diapers in the bag at the end of the day and take all the dirty sippy cups etc out and put them in the sink. Nothing like making a big deal out of nothing.

85. by Hollis Mondone

On November 9, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Miley Cyrus has given homage to Jackass legend Ryan Dunn, disastrously killed in a car crash last week.

86. by Markus Stefan

On November 10, 2011 at 2:51 am

Lady Gaga spoke in front of lots of people at EuroPride this year, in favor of with regard to gay rights together with equality.

87. by Mertie Skinkle

On November 11, 2011 at 4:31 am

Britney Spears has created four all new dates to her forthcoming UK tour. The pop celebrity, who definitely will be bringing her Femme Fatale tour on to British shores in October

88. by baby bag

On November 13, 2011 at 4:24 am

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue with your website in internet explorer, could check this? IE still is the marketplace chief and a good component to other folks will miss your great writing because of this problem.

89. by Fredrick Dimon

On November 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Nicole Scherzinger has revealed that she’s ecstatic that she replaced Cheryl Cole relating to the X-Factor USA. She believes she is simply ‘better served’ as a suitable judge more than as a host.

90. by Cassandra

On February 22, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I don’t understand all these comments that say so definitively that it’s the mom’s job to stock the diaper bag. Is this some kind rule that was listed in a baby care handbook that I never got? Shouldn’t it just be decided by the employer (the mom) who should do that? I don’t know about you, but if my boss asked me to fulfill a duty which is in the realm of the position I was hired for, I’d do it! I wouldn’t ignore the request or tell him or her to do it himself!!

91. by distilling recipes

On October 23, 2012 at 1:51 am

I¡¦ve read some good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much attempt you put to make such a magnificent informative web site.

92. by Kassenrollen

On November 12, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I like Large Browse. Glad to check out a lot of people involved.

93. by Marcos Hladek

On November 19, 2012 at 6:25 am

Thanks for your information on this blog. 1 thing I would like to say is the fact purchasing gadgets items on the Internet is not new. The fact is, in the past decade alone, the market for online electronic devices has grown significantly. Today, you will discover practically any specific electronic gizmo and devices on the Internet, ranging from cameras and also camcorders to computer elements and game playing consoles.

94. by website design

On November 20, 2012 at 11:05 am

I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thank you, I¡¦ll try and check back more often. How frequently you update your website?

95. by related internet page

On December 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Opera. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The style and design look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon. Many thanks

96. by Delta Laughton

On December 9, 2012 at 3:18 pm

A exuberance pose submit to the condition. Representing no cause fulfilled with the impressive when the explanation with the content at this juncture, taking place the other hand over ought to confess this is amazingly the compulsory money.

97. by prophecies for 2012

On December 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I conceive other website owners should take this website as an example , very clean and excellent user pleasant style .

98. by Click To Investigate

On December 12, 2012 at 12:26 am

Surprisingly challenging many many thanks, I do believe your trusty subscribers could perhaps want even more stories similar to this keep up the excellent function.

99. by Beats by Dr Dre new Headphones

On December 25, 2012 at 8:56 am

Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem along with your website in internet explorer, may test this… IE still is the marketplace chief and a huge part of other people will pass over your magnificent writing due to this problem.

100. by coupons

On December 27, 2012 at 6:04 pm

This is a topic which is close to my heart… Thank you! Exactly where are your contact details though?|

101. by coupons

On December 28, 2012 at 8:38 am

This is a very good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere. Simple but very accurate info… Thank you for sharing this one. A must read post!|

102. by WOODSTOCKNYHOUSESFORSALE

On January 2, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Outstanding post, I believe blog owners should acquire a lot from this site its rattling user friendly . “A happy childhood has spoiled many a promising life.” by Robertson Davies.

103. by http://youtube.com/watch?v=xbL01vfSggg

On January 4, 2013 at 7:47 pm

As a site owner I believe the subject matter here is reallyexcellent. I thank you for your time. You should keep it up forever! Best of luck..

104. by http://youtube.com/watch?v=xbL01vfSggg

On January 7, 2013 at 3:46 am

Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is simply cool and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

105. by web page

On April 29, 2013 at 3:15 am

I just could not depart your website prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual info an individual supply in your visitors? Is gonna be again ceaselessly to check up on new posts.