Wednesday, January 30th, 2013
Here in Massachusetts, we are deep into our cold New England winter. Except for today’s predicted high of 55 degrees(!), our outside world has been frozen and icy.
No matter where you are in the country or the world, join me today as I find inspiration in photographs from the opposite season. Ask your children to help search for photographs from 6 or 7 months ago and use the images to inspire creativity. Draw, paint, or collage. Write a poem or a list. Describe an imaginary adventure in that other season.
I’m remembering flowers, green grass, balmy nights, swaying branches, warm sun on my shoulders, naps on picnic tables.
What do you remember?
Categories: Everyday Fun, Inspired, Literacy, Nature, Outdoors, Seasonal | Tags: art, collage, creative, fall, inspiration, inspired, nature, painting, photographs, poem, seasons, spring, summer, winter, writing
Friday, December 7th, 2012
1. Lovely Jessica at Zakka Life posted this incredibly cute Packing Peanut Igloo craft last week, and I was instantly wild about it. The peanuts are fabulously re-purposed into an igloo that that lends itself to storytelling and play. We played with Insta-Snow at my daughter’s fifth birthday, and this adorable project would have fit in perfectly.
2. Homemade gift idea: herbal infused honey! Kristin of Banyan Moon Botanicals is a dear friend of mine and I trust all of her delicious and good-for-you creations.
3. Easy, Tiny Envelopes. LOVE!
4. Um, these homemade nesting dolls couldn’t be any cuter. And, they look so fun, satisfying, and simple to make.
5. These scenic stamp sets from Yellow Owl Workshop make so happy. Don’t you think these would make wonderful holiday gifts for kids who love to write letters? Add some blank cards and a nice pen and it would make a beautiful set!
What has made you smile this week?
Categories: 5 Bright Spots, Crafts, Everyday Fun, Food, Fun, Holiday, Literacy, Seasonal | Tags: cards, children, crafts, cute, diy, dolls, envelopes, FamilyFun, fun, gifts, handmade, honey, igloo, kids, repurpose, stamps, winter, writing