Tuesday, December 17th, 2013
…or mantle, windowsill, dresser, side table. Really, there are no rules as to where this little elf can go! You can also thread some string through his felt hat and hang him on the tree. A versatile little elf, he is!
Mr. S. H. Elf is part of the crafty Countdown to Christmas I’m doing on my blog, Projectkid.com. Pop on over (Get it? Pop? Champagne cork?) for the instructions for this and to check the other last minute crafts I’m making to help pass the time before December 25th!
Add a Comment
christmas, craft, diy, elf, holiday, homemade, ornament, recycled, shelf | Categories:
Christmas, Crafts, Decor, DIY, Family, Holiday, kids, Upcycling
Wednesday, April 17th, 2013
When the violets begin to pop up around our home, my children love to gather miniature bouquets for me. Sure, we can fill tiny glass jars with them, but I also like to make hanging flower boxes, so they can decorate our door knobs, walls, and cabinet handles.
I love how a rice or packaged macaroni and cheese box from your recycle bin can transform into a sweet hanging box of beauty.
1. Measure how tall you want your hanging box to be, draw a straight line (front and back) with a ruler, and cut it with a craft knife (adults should do this part).
2. Wrap the box with any kind of paper. I like to use kraft paper because it allows the colorful flowers to pop. Brightly colored paper is also a vibrant and fun choice.
3. Smooth the box with a bone folder or with the back of a spoon.
4. Encourage children to decorate the box with crafty bits (glitter, sequins), natural bits (tiny pine cones, pine needles, or even a bit of moss), stamps, or drawing.
5. Punch holes on both sides and thread a piece of yarn through. Tie yarn to make handle.
6. Fill with flowers and hang on a door knob. Change flowers when they begin to wilt (or fill with dried flowers from last year).
Add a Comment
beautiful, box, child, creative, cut, flowers, fun, hanging, nature, punch, recycled, repurposed, stamp, yarn | Categories:
Crafts, Everyday Fun, Fun, Group Activities, Nature, Outdoors, Seasonal