Wednesday, February 13th, 2013
On the eve of Valentine’s Day, I thought I’d pop in to share my Conversation Love Rocks project with you. It is a simple, easy, quick project with super satisfying results. Check it out here, and spread some witty, cheery rocks to your loved ones.
Happy Valentine’s Day, friends!
Add a Comment
conversation, craft, creative, cute, glue, hearts, love, message, messages, rocks, sweet, valentine's day | Categories:
Crafts, Everyday Fun, Fun, Holiday, Literacy, Must Read
Friday, February 1st, 2013
1. Make your own Printing Stamps with Vicki. Printing is near and dear to my heart, and Vicki’s project is just wonderful.
2. Jessica’s Wall of Paper Hearts installation. Oh my!
3. And, this Tree Heart Installation!
4. Make a Paper Flower Tree to brighten up your home.
5. A striped Watercolor Heart to give to someone you love.
Add a Comment
art, crafting, cute, fun, heart, hearts, installation, kids, paper, printing, stamps, tree, watercolor | Categories:
5 Bright Spots, Crafts, Everyday Fun, Fun, Group Activities
Monday, January 28th, 2013
Make simple, cheery rings and things for Valentine’s Day! Children can help turn wooden and felt hearts into rings, hair ties, and bracelets.
Begin with a pile of felt hearts and freshly painted wooden hearts. (You can find wooden hearts at your local craft store.) Children can help paint, cut, and organize the piles of hearts.
Materials: paint, wooden hearts (wood section in your local craft store), black 1/4″ flat elastic, scissors, thread, wool felt, elastic hair ties, and a drill.
After painting the wooden hearts, drill holes in them to make them into heart shaped buttons. The size of the holes depends on what you wish to do with them. Tiny holes are perfect for sewing them onto a black elastic ring, and larger holes are better for threading with hair tie elastics.
Trace hearts onto felt and cut them out.
Make the elastic rings. Measure little fingers and snip off a piece of flat elastic. While sewing the elastic into a ring, use a slightly larger piece with some overlap, and then snip off any part that hangs over.
Once you have a bunch of black elastic rings, sew wooden hearts, felt hearts, or whatever you want onto the rings.
**Children will need adult help and supervision with drilling and sewing.
Add a Comment
bracelets, bright, cheer, cheery, cute, felt, festive, fun, heart, hearts, little, paint, pink, red, rings, sew, sewing, shape, soft, sort, valentine's day, wood | Categories:
Crafts, Everyday Fun, Fun, Group Activities, Holiday, Must Read
Monday, January 14th, 2013
As January progresses and our outside world becomes a icy, crystallized, study in white, I love to begin thinking about the season of bright, cheery colors. Valentine’s Day is a month away, which means that it might be time to begin to consider how you and your children will send hearts into the world.
In honor of one of my favorite holidays, I’ll post four more Valentine’s Day projects in the coming weeks. Be sure to stop by and check them out!
wooden circles 1″ or 1 1/2″ wide
heart stamp (carving block and carving tool if you plan to carve it yourself)
hot glue gun
1. Find a nice heart stamp*.
2.Coat the heart stamp with a thin layer of acrylic paint and stamp the wooden circles.
3. Once the circles are fully dry, glue the magnets on the back with the hot glue gun.
4. Be sure to quickly wash the acrylic paint off the stamp, so it can be used again and again.
* If you’ve never carved stamps before, and feel inspired to try, this would be a great first carving project. You’ll need a linoleum cutter and some sort of carving block material. My goodness, the heart shape is so simple and small, you could even use some sort of rubber eraser that is laying around the house. Using a pencil, ask child to draw the heart shape on a piece of paper. When she is happy with her shape, turn it face down onto the carving material and scrape/rub it with your fingernail. This will transfer the image onto the carving material. Use your linoleum cutter to carve away the negative space, and the wee heart will be complete.
Happy heart making!
Add a Comment
carve, craft, cute, friends, fun, heart, hearts, love, magnets, make, print, shape, stamping, stamps, valentine's | Categories:
Crafts, Everyday Fun, Fun, Holiday, Must Read, Seasonal