Wednesday, March 13th, 2013
We had a few heart fluttery, bright, warm days and now my family has bird songs, rabbits, sprouts, flowers, ferns, and bees on our minds. You too? Why not decorate your walls and door and door knobs with signs of spring? This way, even if March delivers some cloudy and cold days, you can remind yourselves of the lush springtime happenings that are just around the corner.
You can make ramp up the project by asking children to research the scientific names of the flowers that grow in your yard (or, the names of flowers that they want to grow in the yard).
We like to use cereal box board for the canvas. It provides a nice muted background, which encourages colors to pop and sing. The images are cut from magazines, catalogs, and old paintings that were headed for the recycle bin.
We like to hang these cheery signs around our home to welcome the prospect of spring. A tulip sign on a bathroom door or a sprig of yellow Forsythia sign above the bed feels so heartwarming. It makes us smile.
Categories: Crafts, Everyday Fun, Fun, Group Activities, Seasonal | Tags: art, bird, cheery, child, children, collage, creative, door, flower, fun, lush, signs, spring, springtime, warm bright, welcome
Friday, March 1st, 2013
1. The sun is setting at 6:ish these days, which makes me a bit dreamy about green things popping out of the soil. Jackie’s Spring Flower Pot Mini Muffins aren’t green, but they are a fun way to start thinking about spring.
2. Look at this mini-bell jar woodland terrarium. Cute, cute, cute! Children can create their own spring habitat in preparation for the real deal!
3. This punchy Paper Plate Wall Art project is a lovely way for children to add color to their walls!
4. Alicia’s Miss Maggie Rabbit softie kit is just about the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen. So sweet! And her dress fabric is so springy! (Do you sense a pattern?)
5. Jessica’s origami arrow magnets and tacks are brilliant!
Categories: 5 Bright Spots, Crafts, Everyday Fun, Food, Fun, Group Activities, Seasonal | Tags: art, cute, flower, food, kids, magnets, mini, muffin, origami, rabbit, spring, terrarium, wall, yum