Friday, August 2nd, 2013
In celebration of moving into the second full month of summer, I’ve collected some lovely boat crafts for you to make and play with. Build them and set them free on your favorite creek, pond, stream, or puddle. Surely, the boats will lead your kids on wild, summer adventures! And, while you’re sailing the high seas with an imaginary crew, consider reading The Wind in The Willows together. The pages are filled with woodland critters on boats, which is part of why it is one of my favorite story books!
1. This Twig Boat (pictured above) is magical and fun!
2. A Cork Boat! Brilliant!
3. Nutshell Sailboats. Ariana makes her sweet boats with hickory nuts. I’ve seen them made with walnut shells as well.
4. These Milkweek Pod Boats that my daughter made in the spring!
5. Traditional Origami Boats with a how-to video in the post!
Add a Comment
boats, child, cork, craft, creative, diy, float, kid, nutshell, origami, puddle, river, sail, sailboat, stream, toy, twig | Categories:
5 Bright Spots, Crafts, Everyday Fun, Fun, Group Activities, Nature, Outdoors, Seasonal
Friday, April 26th, 2013
1. Jessica at scrumdilly-do posted a simple, creative, fun paint chip plant markers tutorial. Not only does this reuse materials, but it also encourages children to plant some seeds!
2. These egg carton boats are adorable! via crafty crow
3. I’m kind of obsessed with the thought of making these superhero hand cuffs for my daughters. Made using toilet paper tubes, they are simply magnificent!
4. Mmmmmm. Chocolate Flowerpot Cakes! What a sweet way to celebrate the earth and its flowers!
5. Amy offers some artistic inspiration for making homemade wrapping paper out of painted newspaper. Pretty!
Add a Comment
boats, cake, celebrate, children, chocolate, crafts, earth, earth day, egg carton, flowers, fun, paint chip, paper, reuse, seeds, superhero, tubes, wrapping | Categories:
5 Bright Spots, Crafts, Everyday Fun, Food, Fun, Group Activities, Nature, Seasonal
Friday, April 12th, 2013
1. Visit Heather at a happy wanderer for simple and interesting ways to explore with marbles. It struck me as a nice rainy day activity.
2. These cork key chain people are incredibly adorable! Wouldn’t they make great Mother’s Day gifts! via The Crafty Crow
3. These naturally dyed beads use a similar process as naturally dyed Easter eggs. The result is subtle and beautiful, and you can use them again and again for weeks and months to come.
4. Ohhh! Walnut Mice! I have a thing for using nutshells to make things, and these are too cute.
5. Now that it is spring, it is a lovely time to make a fleet of origami boats. After you launch them in a big puddle or small pond, you can have boat races. Just stay long enough to catch them on the other side.
Add a Comment
beads, boats, children, cork, creative, dyed, interesting, key chain, learning, marbles, mice, naturally, origami, paint, people, sail, science, spring, walnut | Categories:
5 Bright Spots, Crafts, Everyday Fun, Fun, Group Activities, Nature, Outdoors, Science
Wednesday, March 27th, 2013
As we wait for new, lush, green life to spring up around our home, my children have been collecting dried pods, seeds, and stalks from last year’s growth for observation and play. One of their favorite things to collect are elegant milkweed pods. They happen to have the most beautiful, swooped shape and my two find that they make perfect fairy boats.
After collecting a handful, they brought them home and used paper, glue, glitter, and string to turn them into water worthy vessels.
This one is lined with a leaf of Lambs Ear (found on our walk) and has a pillow and a life preserver.
This one is a double decker!
They sailed their fleet in a puddle behind our house and in the creek at the end of our road. Each new boat was tested and re-designed and tested again until they floated majestically in the wind blown current. We are all certain that the fairies who live behind our home will be so thankful to find new boats for their spring adventures.
Add a Comment
beautiful, boat, boats, children, craft, creative, creek, fairies, fairy, glue, Lambs Ear, milkweed, nature, paper, pods, sail, seed, walk | Categories:
Crafts, Everyday Fun, Group Activities, Nature, Outdoors, Science, Seasonal