Wednesday, November 9th, 2011
Babies can get away with so much that we adults never could. Since they’re too young to realize they are breaking the rules of adult social expectations, their behavior is not only excused, but it also becomes slightly hilarious entertainment. Based on the things I’ve observed my 11 month old-son do in public, here are the top 5 things he does that are cute because he does them, but if I did them, I would be a moron.
1) Stumbling around the room for the fun of it. My son Jack has recently learned to walk; though technically I should call it toddling. I can’t remember the last time I stood in the middle of a crowded room and laughed and grunted as I stumbled 12 feet into every direction for no apparent reason. If I did that, it would be (and should be) assumed that wasn’t oregano on my pizza.
2) Wearing pajamas as normal attire. I see what my kid gets to wear everyday, and frankly, I’m jealous. Essentially, he wears a glorified version of pajamas every single day. Every day is Casual Friday for him… really, really casual.
3) Making a mess with food. You know all those “roadhouse style” restaurants where you get to throw the peanut shells on the floor? That’s every meal that my son eats. He eats his food until he’s no longer hungry; which at that point, the leftover food becomes a toy. Or maybe he pretends he’s throwing candy from a float in a parade.
4) Putting things in his mouth that just fell on the floor. Okay, I admit, I’m not jealous about this one. Heck, I’ve watched him lay down and lick the floor itself for fun. To him, the floor is not dirty; it evidently tastes like Skittles and makes everything that falls onto it taste like a rainbow as well. It’s the modern version of the Midas Touch.
5) Passing gas. I’ve been a dad for nearly a year now and so far, I’ve never been able to resist laughing when Jack releases a fluffy air biscuit- especially when he does it at church. Actually, maybe this should have been #1, now that I think about it. I guess the question is this: Which is worse, to seem like you’re crazy or to be rude?
Well, if you’re a baby, you’re neither. Instead, you’re cute either way!Add a Comment