My Son Likes To Chill Out In The Fridge

16 months.

I’m not endorsing letting toddlers play inside refrigerators, but I am admitting that my son likes to chill… by sitting on the inside ledge of the refrigerator.

After I bring him home from daycare and he eats his dinner, Jack has a routine of playing with each of his toys from the living room.

One of his newest favorites is his Fisher-Price lawnmower. He likes to mow the kitchen floor as my wife prepares our dinner.

Of course, like most hardworking toddlers, he treats himself to a much needing break.

As soon as my wife opens up the fridge for some ingredients, Jack seizes the opportunity and plops himself down; always mesmerized by whatever products happen to be sitting there on the bottom ledge of the door.

He makes me think of an old man wearing overalls who walks into a general store as if to say to himself, “Ah, think I’ll just rest here a minute and take a load off.”

By this time of day Jack is just wearing a diaper and a t-shirt and it’s interesting to me that he is always unfazed by the coldness of the surface he is sitting on.

After a minute or so, he grunts his way back up and finishes his job with the mower.

I guess the funniest part about this daily routine is that as his parents, my wife and I completely go along with it; causing him to think it’s completely normal to mow the kitchen floor then take a rest inside the refrigerator.

Yes, it’s scary to think how a big part of my job as his parent is to teach him what is normal.

Back To The Dadabase
  1. by Jessi

On April 12, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Just be glad he needs someone to open the door for him. My 20 month old has taken to helping himself to the contents of our refrigerator, whether that be milk, grapes or maple syrup.

2. by Nick Shell

On April 12, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Yikes. You’re right… I am glad!

3. by Misty

On April 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I used to hang out in the dryer and pretend it was a movie theatre. :)

4. by Joe

On April 12, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Weird. Your fridge, its contents, and your floor are eerily similar to my house…PLUS the othe rday my son was VERY upset with me when I tried to remove him from hanging out in the same place… :-)

5. by Tamera Ballard

On April 12, 2012 at 11:07 pm

LOL…..my kid loves to get in the fridge too….but he goes for the soy/duck/fire sauces :) we had to get the fridge locks from IKEA.

6. by Amanda

On April 13, 2012 at 5:14 am

This recalled an infamous incident from my own childhood…. I grew up in the Midwest and for a long time we didn’t have central air. My sisters and I used to stand in front of the fridge with the door open because that was the only cool place in the house. My dad, of course, would yell at us, “Don’t stand there with the door open!” So one day, apparently feeling particularly hot but not wanting to get in trouble for standing there with the door open, I came to the logical conclusion that I could cool off while avoiding trouble by climbing into the refrigerator and shutting the door. Which worked great… until I couldn’t open the door to get out once I had sufficiently cooled. Fortunately, my mother knew that if she hadn’t heard me for awhile, something was amiss. She called my name and asked me where I was. Due to the muffled acoustics, she kept thinking I was saying I was outside and when she finally realized I was saying I was in the refrigerator, I nearly cried with relief. She opened the door and saw me curled up on the top shelf around a crock pot full of leftover spaghetti sauce (please don’t ask me how I managed that!). Oh man, then I got the worst spanking of my entire life… which was repeated when my dad got home. Oi vey!

True story – I wrote about this incident on a college application essay. When I received my acceptance letter to said school, enclosed was a hand-written note from the Dean saying that it was the most interesting and entertaining story he’d ever received. Sort of made up for the sore buttocks I suffered as an immediate result. Needless to say, when my son ever decides to vacate my uterus (he’s currently 5 days overdue), he will be watched VERY closely around all major appliances.

7. by jane

On April 13, 2012 at 12:55 pm

You made me crack up – what is EXACTLY what my son does these days – only he is probably 1 year older and more apt with the fridge door. He also loves playing with salt, sugar, rice, etc, and spreads them all over the place.

My son also loves “mowing” the floor – with his backpack, especially when I start wiping the floor, he would “work” along with me with his mowing.

8. by Nick Shell

On April 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm

So my kid isn’t so weird after all? :)

9. by Nick Shell

On April 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I am very glad you shared you story. Wish I could have seen that as it was happening!